PDA

View Full Version : OT:A new BMA record?

wingman
03-06-2006, 03:28 AM
How's this:
Confirmed order 28/2 (2 x pitman arms).
Invoiced and shipped 1/3
At my door (regional New South Wales OZ) 6/3.
California to Goulburn OVER THE WEEKEND in 6 days!!!

Zeuk in Oz
03-06-2006, 03:38 AM
How's this:
Invoiced and shipped 1/3
I regularly get 4 day delivery to just north of you ! :p
BTW, when fitting the dogbones, observe carefully where the washers go - do not go - when dismantling if never changed before.
I found that jacking up the axle a little allowed easy fitting of the bolts.
Don't forget to load the car before torqueing !
Cheers,
Bo

wingman
03-06-2006, 05:03 AM
Thanks for the tips. How much load is reccomended?

athflying79
03-06-2006, 07:04 AM
You guys get parts before I do and I'm in the States. From Cali to FL takes about 5-6 days. Sometimes they ship USPS, then it is only about 3 days.

Scott H
03-06-2006, 07:10 AM
to IL in 5. Sorry....just a bitter topic lately with me ;)

How's this:
Invoiced and shipped 1/3

Dave M
03-06-2006, 07:30 AM
They must have a Koala working customs in AUS. BMA to Canada is always over a week, much of the time in no-man's land (border).

Hmmmf

Dave M

Alexlind123
03-06-2006, 10:05 AM

The actual load involves a full tank of gas and many pounds in each seat. But given the fact that that probably wont be the "normal" loaded position, its probably unnecessary. The "torque under load" generally just means to have it on the ground a rolled a few feet to settle the suspension. Someone else will probably have a more definitive answer than me.

Zeuk in Oz
03-06-2006, 05:36 PM
Tony, see Bill R's post to this thread - a better answer than I can give you :
http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=19468&page=2

Bellicose Right Winger
03-06-2006, 05:48 PM
There's no need to load the suspension before tightening the dogbones/pitman arms. They are very similar to spherical bearings and don't have an elastomeric element that distorts with suspension movement like control arms, thrust arms and trailing arms.

Paul Shovestul

.......Don't forget to load the car before torqueing !
Cheers,
Bo

GJPinAU
03-06-2006, 06:55 PM
Trying the BMA Experience myself. Damn they've got great service. Patrick has been so helpful. Hope to get mine in a week, I chose the snail mail option.

As a furinstance: I'm getting the little oil grommets that are on the tappet cover bolts, in Aus they're Approx $4.5 - BMA US$0.55, there are 22 of the little suckers.

Zeuk in Oz
03-06-2006, 07:17 PM
There's no need to load the suspension before tightening the dogbones/pitman arms. They are very similar to spherical bearings and don't have an elastomeric element that distorts with suspension movement like control arms, thrust arms and trailing arms.

Paul Shovestul
I'm sure I remember reading in Bentley that they should be torqued under load - haven't got it with me so can't check. Apologies if I got it wrong.
Will check later.

wingman
03-07-2006, 12:10 AM
They must have a Koala working customs in AUS. BMA to Canada is always over a week, much of the time in no-man's land (border).

Hmmmf

Dave M

Ah No. Koalas are always stoned and asleep so it wasn't them clearing my order!

GJPinAU
03-07-2006, 12:13 AM
Maybe a wombat, all they do is eat roots and leaves:D

rob101
03-07-2006, 12:59 AM
roots ay? maybe I should call these customs wombats to get me a............. ah bad joke never mind.:p

Zeuk in Oz
03-07-2006, 06:05 PM
I'm sure I remember reading in Bentley that they should be torqued under load - haven't got it with me so can't check. Apologies if I got it wrong.
Will check later.
Checked Bentley and must say it is a little confusing as different nomenclature is used.
My reading is that the dogbones are referred to as trailing arm links according to the captions on photos - the text does not describe them well - and if that is the case, loading is recommended.
Hopefully someone more knowlegeable than I will see this post and sort us out ! :)

Boom n Zoom
03-07-2006, 10:55 PM
you mentioned pitman arms x 2, I don't mean to sound like a smartarse but the pitman arms are the two connecting arms from the draglink to (on the drivers side) the steering box and the opposite side the chassis via the 'idler arm' they move in unison when you turn the wheel.

A picture would be good here but I will try and draw it via the keyboard

Lets see if the formatting works:

____Car body_____
_|________|__

^
draglink

This is annoying me already and the formatting probably won't hold, I will get me car jacked up tomorrow (Thursday) and take some pictures and we'll have a show and tell :)

Boom n Zoom.

rob101
03-07-2006, 11:34 PM
I think that is correct terminology, there are also pitman arms in the rear. Dogbones is a common name for the rear pitman arms on bmws or at least as far as i've read..... use dogbones at least everyone knows what they are and there is no confusion.

Dave M
03-07-2006, 11:36 PM

Depends on how you think about it. If i were stoned and asleep, a lot of shipments would slip under the radar.

Either way, I think we're all happy with BMA :)

Edit: Oh, and on the dogbone front, i agree with whomever stated that they don't need loading. They swivel quite nicely and shouldn't be subjct to such stresses.Dave M

wingman
03-08-2006, 02:02 AM
BMA refer to them as 'rear control arm mount link rod/pitman' I'm correct in calling them a pitman arm. The package in which they came also call them a pitman arm. They are affectionately known as dogbones as that is what they look like. Below is a pic of the RH one in situ on my car. I'll be changing them this weekend.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c301/wingman_1968/rearcontrolarmcopy.jpg

liquidtiger720
03-08-2006, 02:40 AM
hehehe. if I place my order by ~2 to 3pm, I get my order the very next day! :)

wingman
03-08-2006, 04:16 AM
hehehe. if I place my order by ~2 to 3pm, I get my order the very next day! :)

LMAO. This is the kind of reply that keeps this place interesting:D

Boom n Zoom
03-08-2006, 06:34 PM
BMA refer to them as 'rear control arm mount link rod/pitman' I'm correct in calling them a pitman arm. The package in which they came also call them a pitman arm. They are affectionately known as dogbones as that is what they look like. Below is a pic of the RH one in situ on my car. I'll be changing them this weekend.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c301/wingman_1968/rearcontrolarmcopy.jpg

I'm gonna shut my mouth............

Wingman, my apologies I was under the understanding that you were talking about the front of the car not the rear.

In fact I will admit to being very confused about dogbones/pitman arms.
But I am glad that I am now on the same page as everyone else.......

Whew! That was close...... but I think I got away with it ;)

BnZ

wingman
03-08-2006, 07:07 PM
I apologise for my tone. I had a rough day at work yesterday. I shouldn't take it out on others though.:)