PDA

View Full Version : New motor, day one!

Jon K
03-06-2006, 12:08 AM
Hey all. Left around 8 AM this morning for Connecticut (from around Philadelphia, PA) to pick up my motor from BJL4776. It's another M50 Non vanos that I am rebuilding for [more] boost. It was not too fun picking up a 400lb motor without a hoist but we managed to get it into our lifted F250 diesel and back to Philadelphia, PA. We used a John Deere to move it from the truck to the engine stand with a series of chains and tie-down straps. My E34 is awaiting a couple 11mm nuts from the intake manifold which have seemingly disappeared. It would have been back together tonight, but Lowes/Home Depot were not open when I was done mounting the other motor to the stand.

This is how my E34 looks right now... lovely eh?

http://blowneuroz.com/newmotor/1.jpg

http://blowneuroz.com/newmotor/2.jpg

Here is the new motor on the stand (which, by the way, is VERY stable.... i couldn't get it to even come close to tipping...) in the manner it left BJL4776's house... except I pulled the valve cover to get a look at the cams:
http://blowneuroz.com/newmotor/3.jpg

And this is it after about an hour of stripping it down and placing ALL bolts/nuts/etc in labeled plastic baggies:

http://blowneuroz.com/newmotor/4.jpg

Jon K
03-06-2006, 12:08 AM
Finally, here is a shot of my new 30# Bosch (red) fuel injectors versus old 17# Bosch injectors (green) ontop of my FMIC :)

http://blowneuroz.com/newmotor/5.jpg

That's all for now guys - I will keep this thread updated like I usually do. As I rebuild the motor, I will document it so people can follow :)

Jon

632 Regal
03-06-2006, 12:34 AM
dude you have sweet height in that garage, need a hoist and a I beam style comealong, never imagined your garage was that sweet! You continue to impress me.

Jon K
03-06-2006, 12:42 AM
I think we're going to be putting in a lift further back. The garage is 2 cars wide and 2.5 cars deep.

rob101
03-06-2006, 12:45 AM
i noticed the anti-guillotine stick propping the hood open, don't tell me your hood shocks are gone too.

Jon K
03-06-2006, 12:46 AM
they are gone. It stays up on its own just fine... but being that I am moving stuff around I really don't want it falling on me. hood shocks are not priority - this isn't a beauty contest :)

rob101
03-06-2006, 12:50 AM
they are gone. It stays up on its own just fine... but being that I am moving stuff around I really don't want it falling on me. hood shocks are not priority - this isn't a beauty contest :)
true, but you can't drive without a head....... i sympathize i have my own designated anti-guillotine stick.

Alexlind123
03-06-2006, 01:30 AM
I also have a designated anti-guillotine stick :) Mine stays open by itself too, but not very well, especially if the front is jacked up and the rear on the ground.

genphreak
03-06-2006, 06:42 AM
Looks like bucket loads of fun you'll be having there. Forgive my ignorance, but is it possible to add vanos as well as the SC or is that your plan? I can't help but like the principles of vanos, especially when its so hard to get good lumpy cams for these things.... :) Nick

bjl4776
03-06-2006, 08:18 AM
I hope everything is lookin good so far. It wasn't too bad lifting it with 4 people, i thought it was going to be alot harder. Do you have access do a cam removal tool or are you going to have to remove the caps 1/4 turn at a time?

t_marat
03-06-2006, 08:35 AM
What is the difference between 30# Bosch 17# Bosch injectors? 30# spray in more fuel? Does it require a special ECU chip or the stock one will work?

Jon K
03-06-2006, 09:23 AM
BJL4776, yeah i am going to have to do each nut 1/4 turn at a time :(

Difference between 30# and 17# is the 30's are capable of more fueling. Yes they require special software, but I am running a standalone fuel computer.

bahnstormer
03-06-2006, 09:25 AM
pt is such a nice guy =]

Kobe Diesel
03-06-2006, 10:36 AM
Jon,

What's your plan here? To me, your current engine arrangement is meticulous and untouchable. Are you going stroking, turbocharging? Or is this going into another E34?

Very interested...

Booster
03-06-2006, 10:53 AM
So Jon.....is this going to be a "freshened-up" engine with a port n' polish head ? Or are you going deeper with head full build along with bottom end build too ?
Why do I get the feeling someone has gotten a boost addiction here ? lol.
There is NO avoiding this addiction once bit ! NONE !:p
6 of my 8 cars are turbo'd.......guess which two I'm selling ?;)
.............Vinny

t_marat
03-06-2006, 11:18 AM
[QUOTE=

Difference between 30# and 17# is the 30's are capable of more fueling. Yes they require special software, but I am running a standalone fuel computer.[/QUOTE]
By standalone fuel computer you mean the megasquirt you were installing recently?

Jon K
03-06-2006, 12:59 PM
correct. MS = standalone computer.

The motor is going to run stock internals. It's basically getting freshened up. I am adding a .140" Cometic Multi Layered Steel head gasket to drop compression to around 8.7 - 9.0:1 and throwing a turbocharger in the mix :)

Booster
03-06-2006, 01:45 PM
Now your talking Jon !!
I've got my T/3-T/4 turbo sitting here awaiting its marriage to my M50 too ! I skimped and bought one of the cheap Egay tubular stainless manifolds to get mocked up and get my downpipe configured.
Can I ask your suppliers name or site and the cost of the Cometic HG ?
I did want to lower my CR and install some ARP headstuds first.
...............Vinny:D

Jon K
03-06-2006, 04:52 PM
I am using VAC Motorsport in Philly for my HG and ARP studs.

onewhippedpuppy
03-06-2006, 05:22 PM
Sounds like you have big plans. Best justification for a carbon fiber hood is when the damn thing falls on your head, the stock one hurts!

kyleN20
03-06-2006, 07:52 PM
jon, i hope this isnt foward, but how do you afford stuff like this? do you have like 4 jobs, i mean your not much older then me right? and im 19, and struggling to get through college. money is so tight i almost downgraded to a 78 dodge omni for 800 bucks and sold my car (glad i dident go through with it) but i certinly can imaging having enough money to build a new engine with a turbo.

share the wealth :)

kyle

rob101
03-06-2006, 08:07 PM
jon, i hope this isnt foward, but how do you afford stuff like this? do you have like 4 jobs, i mean your not much older then me right? and im 19, and struggling to get through college. money is so tight i almost downgraded to a 78 dodge omni for 800 bucks and sold my car (glad i dident go through with it) but i certinly can imaging having enough money to build a new engine with a turbo.

share the wealth :)

kyle
hmmmmm who knows, but he has commitment on his side. Another thing i was wondering, cars in the US are way cheaper than here (australia) (esp. BMW's) now I was wondering what is the average american wage, for say a professional with a college degree etc. would be in america. The reason I ask is because sometimes i wonder whether it is actually cheaper buying cars for americans or is it just the exchange rate.

kyleN20
03-06-2006, 08:28 PM
well, my car cost 4000, its a 535im, just hit 170k, in decent condition. my job paid me (past tense, laid off now) 8.50 and hour. so figure thats a job just about anyone can get. dont know if that helps, out of college, it all depends on what you went for, i think the figures on when i get out of college the starting figure is like 40k or upwards, but thats a great job. hope that helped

rob101
03-06-2006, 08:34 PM
well, my car cost 4000, its a 535im, just hit 170k, in decent condition. my job paid me (past tense, laid off now) 8.50 and hour. so figure thats a job just about anyone can get. dont know if that helps, out of college, it all depends on what you went for, i think the figures on when i get out of college the starting figure is like 40k or upwards, but thats a great job. hope that helped
yep thats what i thought we earn the same figure in AUD, lucky bastards I am moving to the USA after i get some more construction experience under my belt. :p

Erwin8r
03-06-2006, 08:35 PM
hmmmmm who knows, but he has commitment on his side. Another thing i was wondering, cars in the US are way cheaper than here (australia) (esp. BMW's) now I was wondering what is the average american wage, for say a professional with a college degree etc. would be in america. The reason I ask is because sometimes i wonder whether it is actually cheaper buying cars for americans or is it just the exchange rate.
That's a tough questions, but I can comment, at least from the West Coast perspective (Los Angeles, CA). Depends on what the profession is. "New" lawyers at a decent law firm will start at $125,000 per annum. Paralegals start at about $60,000, Legal Secretaries at about $60,000. Medical Doctors, after their internship, can expect to make at the very least about $100,000 in any clinic, let alone a nice spot in a good hospital--then you can about double that just to start. Electrical/Mechanical engineering spots start at about $50,000, but easily triple that with decent experience.... and the list goes on. The West Coast does have a bit higher cost of living than the midewest or the south, but still a bit less than the East Coast. So yeah, used cars are very cheap in the U.S....

Jon K
03-06-2006, 11:36 PM
I work doing installs and stuff during the school year. Over the last summers and christmas breaks I've worked at Willow Grove Land Rover/Jaguar @ $10.50 an hour and I save it. Dating my gf can slow the car fundage, but it isn't too bad. If you know what you need, you can find it pretty cheap.

misfortune
03-06-2006, 11:42 PM
I work doing installs and stuff during the school year. Over the last summers and christmas breaks I've worked at Willow Grove Land Rover/Jaguar @ $10.50 an hour and I save it. Dating my gf can slow the car fundage, but it isn't too bad. If you know what you need, you can find it pretty cheap.

He paid next to nothing for that engine. You see where he lives?

His mom has moneyhats :D

Andrea K
03-07-2006, 10:30 PM

bah! you save your money about as well as i fix cars :p

Kobe Diesel
03-07-2006, 11:38 PM

Parts for E34s are pretty cheap, lets face it - the auto part stores want to clear these "old" parts off the shelves so they can restock with new parts for late model cars. The internet is an awesome source. Do the work yourself, you will save a bundle, the best part is the learning experience and satisfaction which is priceless.

Work hard and earn your keep, and blow it all on your BMW!
Why buy the ladies expensive drinks, when a nice BMW is all the aphrodisiac you need?

peks
03-07-2006, 11:41 PM

haha

Jon K
03-08-2006, 01:32 AM

Truer words were never spoken.

bahnstormer
03-08-2006, 11:50 AM
jon's secret is he doesn't go to teh bars every night hahaha

2 jobs for me, one at 11.50 the other 8.50 and i STILL cna't