PDA

View Full Version : OT web site gurus...

632 Regal
03-05-2006, 11:49 PM
OK, i havent got any hits since I recently had the site redone. I looked into this yesterday....anyone with a top off you head why that could be? Anything missing????

Im pissed.

www.thecitypress.com

clhorton
03-06-2006, 12:05 AM
How frequent were your hits before you redid the site?

OK, i havent got any hits since I recently had the site redone. I looked into this yesterday....anyone with a top off you head why that could be? Anything missing????

Im pissed.

www.thecitypress.com

632 Regal
03-06-2006, 12:07 AM
your not looking at what I see and I am in NO way a web guru.

hint... somethings missin I think

winfred
03-06-2006, 12:22 AM
more pictures and examples of your work? online ordering? nekkid wimmins?

632 Regal
03-06-2006, 12:24 AM
web site gurus. Nekid women would be a plus!

winfred
03-06-2006, 12:30 AM
that's why i work on cars and not build web sites for a living:D

web site gurus.

GJPinAU
03-06-2006, 12:32 AM
I agree.
Then you could get some sponsors, the nsit back and collect da moneys.:D

rob101
03-06-2006, 12:59 AM
he will have to switch to a 7er if he wants to be a pimped out webdesigner tricking on the internet. Rules of the game, Player.

Espen
03-06-2006, 02:44 AM
You are missing Meta tags in the source-code.

Several search enignes look throug the "keywords" found in the meta tags in the source, it means if a guy searches for "small format sheet fed printing " the search engine look through the metatags in a bunch of websites untill it finds one. since your site does not contain theese, your page will not come up as a "hit" on this search.

Omega
03-06-2006, 07:35 AM
Jeff,

I had a look at the site and found the following:

1> No <doctype> declaration - this means the site won't validate against standards and will cause problems.

2> No <meta keywords> or <meta description> tags. Not all search engines use them but the keyword tag can help. Only use keywords that are in your main text (copy). I have found that meta tags are not as cricial as good, interesting copy.

Several search enignes look throug the "keywords" found in the meta tags in the source, it means if a guy searches for "small format sheet fed printing " the search engine look through the metatags in a bunch of websites untill it finds one. since your site does not contain theese, your page will not come up as a "hit" on this search.

Not necessarily. If the term "small format sheet fed printing" is not in the copy then Google won't place the site high in the search lists.

3> No internal links or cross references - search engines like these. If you mention "we can print XYZ" then link from "XYZ" to the XYZ page.

4> No site map. Search engines love site maps.

5> There is not a massive amount of copy to index in the search engines. Basically, more (interesting) words = more chances of a hit.

6> The coding is completely cr:( p. Sorry I can't put it any better, I hope you didn't pay for this site. This type of coding is about 5 years out of date and definitely will not help your search engine ranking.

7> There is a <script> tag (postamble) at the bottom of the page after <html>. This won't work and is invalid.

8> You have lots of external links pointing to you so it seems strange that you have dropped in the search engines.

9> Google last crawled your site on the 21st Feb. Was the "new" site up at this time? If so that's the problem. In a nutshell it's the new site....

In summary:
If you paid for this, ask for your money back. To improve things it will need a total re-write and much improved copy. If you still have the old site then re-install it. Some traffic is better than none.

Sorry mate, that's all I can offer. If you want any more info, PM me.

632 Regal
03-06-2006, 09:29 AM
thats exactly what I thought, first thing I noticed was "wheres the meta tags" Its all empty in there. I'll figure something out...eventually.

Javier
03-06-2006, 09:35 AM
is tha links (both e-mail and call) are dark colored, so guys like me, in late fortys, hardly see them (and we are your target, I guess).

Javier

632 Regal
03-06-2006, 11:34 AM
changed some stuff, going in the right direction?

Omega
03-06-2006, 04:15 PM
Hi again Jeff

Looking better! It still has a few issues, you can check the validity of the code here > http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=www.thecitypress.com

This should give you some pointers. Also at the bottom of the index page's code there is "<script language='javascript'>postamble();</script>" as the last line. I've no idea what it is but remove it or put it above the </html> line. The last line in a html page should always be "</html>"

PM'd you back. :D

HDhandyman
03-06-2006, 09:29 PM
hey Jeff, just curious, what software are you using for web design?

Lennyz525i
03-06-2006, 11:42 PM
9> Google last crawled your site on the 21st Feb. Was the "new" site up at this time? If so that's the problem. In a nutshell it's the new site....

In summary:
If you paid for this, ask for your money back. To improve things it will need a total re-write and much improved copy. If you still have the old site then re-install it. Some traffic is better than none.

Sorry mate, that's all I can offer. If you want any more info, PM me.

How do you check when google last crawled your site? Also, do you happen to know roughly how often google updates pageranks?
Thanks

Omega
03-07-2006, 03:11 AM
How do you check when google last crawled your site?

Go to Google. Type "site: www.bmw4life.com" in the search bit and then click on "Cached" at the bottom of your listing next to the web address in green. The cashed time is the last time Google crawled your site (2nd March in your case).

Also, do you happen to know roughly how often google updates pageranks?
Thanks
From what I believe the page rank will be updated during the initial crawl and then referred back to according to a complex algorithm. The crawl and page-rank do not necessarily occur at the same time. The page rank is dictated by the sites linking to your site. If you have a lot of good quality sites pointing to yours then your site must also be good (by default), however the weighting method of the links is a closely guarded secret and I personally don't put much belief in page ranking strategies anyway.

By that I mean I don't believe in the B.S. thats spread around the web on how the page ranking works, not the page ranking system its self. For more info see http://www.google.com/webmasters/faq.html

hey Jeff, just curious, what software are you using for web design?

Step away from the line.... Don't even go there, the code that the programme generates is pitiful, bloated and out of date and will not help your sites search engine raking. The best way to ensure a good site is to know and understand how to write HTML/XHTML. Personally I use Notepad+ which is like a beefed up version of Notepad and hand code the pages.

dacoyote
03-07-2006, 10:50 AM
The best way to ensure a good site is to know and understand how to write HTML/XHTML. Personally I use Notepad+ which is like a beefed up version of Notepad and hand code the pages.

I use SciTE... for what it's worth