PDA

View Full Version : Is the e34 the best ever BMW?

genphreak
03-05-2006, 11:45 PM
Looking at the new ones I fear it will be.

Positive points
- Performance
- Build quality
- Design
- Features

Hindrances
- connectors
- outdated bleeding edge electronics
- Not AWD
- Plastic bits
- Complexity
- Availability of turbos :D

Sure the new 5 is nice, but it lacks handsomeness. Will we ever see a better car from BMW let alone anyone else?

clhorton
03-05-2006, 11:51 PM
Of course it's the best. The new 5's are nice, but the look a little to Japanese inspired and whatever happened to the sharp edges of BMW? The only thing new BMW's have in common is the grill and the logo. I bet if given time they'll find a way to screw with that also.

shogun
03-05-2006, 11:59 PM
http://www.bimmerboard.com/members/ronald/Front.jpg

kyleN20
03-06-2006, 12:01 AM
ima e30 man
i cant wait to get one, so much diffirent of a car, and i love it

GJPinAU
03-06-2006, 12:17 AM
My thoughts are that the E34 is the last of the good BMWs. They are "user friendly", meaning we can do a lot of work on them ourselves (thanks to this board). For the more experienced, you can do everything on them.

The newer versions have too many electronic components to go wrong and to try and find a problem you need a diagnostic do-hickey at a cost of thousands of dollars or own a dealership. I would love an E39 M5, but by the time I could afford one it would need a lot of work and the cost of replacing somethings would be prohibitive. The new cars are made virtually for one owners and then recycle.

The E30 is probably the best to play with, then the E34 IMHO.

632 Regal
03-06-2006, 12:20 AM
saw a brand new 530 today on the freeway, looked like a bucket of crap. My s1ut (Mil) asked what the _uck was it and I told her, she said theres no way id let you trade it for this.

Female point of view and I couldnt agree more.

Zeuk in Oz
03-06-2006, 01:35 AM
Yes, of course it is, as far a sedans go. :)

I do like the X5 diesel though.............:D Unbelievable to drive ! ;)

over the edge
03-06-2006, 01:42 AM
the biggest problem i have with the newer beamers is their size and weight... I would take a clean E30 M3 over anything newer... as far as the "best bmw ever" I would have to say the Benetton BMW B186.. 1200+ hp out of 1.5 liters :D

digitaldragon03
03-06-2006, 01:46 AM
Its the last BMW before the E36, you know, the one that had to cut corners to compete with the japanese.

Randell
03-06-2006, 01:49 AM
i think the E34 is about as close to perfect as you can get, except !! safety... i don't even have a driver's airbag, let alone side and curtain bags

it's about as good as you got in the early 90s but there are plenty of dickheads in 4WDs (SUVs) out there, and that worries me somewhat

the latest model cars with their 5-star ratings are incredibly rigid and will tear through my old bimmer like a hot knife through butter... has anyone seen the top gear head on offset collision test between the 95 renault espace and the 2005 model? scary...

digitaldragon03
03-06-2006, 02:11 AM
95 had dual airbags. Ive read plenty of E34 crash stories and ive yet to hear one of the person in the E34 being seriously injured. The car was ahead of its time.

Zeuk in Oz
03-06-2006, 02:16 AM
95 had dual airbags. Ive read plenty of E34 crash stories and ive yet to hear one of the person in the E34 being seriously injured. The car was ahead of its time.

Maybe so, but IMHO window bags are the ones that matter.
Front airbags are useful in reducing facial injuries, but if a front airbag saves your life, your brain has just connected with the front of your skull at a speed that means its mush ! :(
I fear side collisions much more than frontal collisions in my E 34 that has no airbags !
ESP is the other major safety product, as far as I am concerned. :)

HDhandyman
03-06-2006, 02:25 AM
If I could live in dream land, BMW would do whatever it wanted to do, moving ahead with the times, but would also maintain an "enthusiast's line" of cars. These cars would do away as much as possible with plastic bits and frills to spend the years continually improving upon one or two basic designs---something like the E28-E34 with 20-30 years worth of constant improvements and the samllest amount of breakable parts possible. Maybe you'd have to special order the car/cars, but I would't mind.

$0.01

over the edge
03-06-2006, 02:28 AM
I can vouch for the crash safety of the E34 first hand. Car had an aftermarket, non airbag steering wheel, no seatbelt, high speed crash and I walked away. My torso broke the side bolster away from the seat, but the interior was unscathed otherwise. If you are sensitive to E34 M5 carnage, you may want to close the window and not scroll down farther.. the pictures are quite graphic.

http://www.shapor.com/pics/cars/m5/crash/.small/m5_crash1.jpg
http://www.shapor.com/pics/cars/m5/crash/.small/m5_crash2.jpg
http://www.shapor.com/pics/cars/m5/crash/.small/m5_crash3.jpg
http://www.shapor.com/pics/cars/m5/crash/.small/m5_crash4.jpg

wingman
03-06-2006, 03:00 AM
but IMHO window bags are the ones that matter.

I fear side collisions much more than frontal collisions in my E 34 that has no airbags !
:)

Sorry to digress but my sister-in-law hit her head on the 'B' pillar in a fairly low speed side impact. Result? Coma for 18 months, out of coma now but child like and has to live in a nursing home. 28 years old. Yes I like the window (side curtain) bags too.

ThoreauHD
03-06-2006, 03:05 AM
I have a 1994 530i hunter green/tan leather interior well kept, and I have to say that it looks better than the new models coming out today.

It just looks more.. I don't know- masculine? BMW had a style that's a cross between a Brooks Brother's suit and 12-guage mossberg. Maybe I'm a little off, but that's the feel I get from this style of car. The newer ones are more japanese looking with all curves all the time. They look cheaper somehow.

In any case, I bought this car recently and am bringing every component to up to new stock parts or better(aftermarket). I have had lincolns, cadillacs, mercedes, subaru's, mazda's, ford's, and the like. This BMW, and this style in particular with a V8 behind it makes me completely comfortable for some reason. It just rocks in every way.

In regards to the air bags, I have 2. Both in front of the passenger and driver. The previous poster says that he would like side-impact air bags. And I can say that he's right from a not being dead perspective. but during that time period, side impact wasn't thought of as necessary.

I can tell you from a forensic pathology perspective that your head is made to impact going forward, not from the side. Your skull is very thin at your temples and a blow from even a persons hand can literally split your skull causing a basal skull fracture. What this does is literally split your skull in 2 and you will either be dead right then, or you will be dead very soon. More people die from basal skull fractures in car accidents than anything else. Side impacts end you. There is no living though it. Forward trauma though is what your skull is built for. Sure, you may be ugly for awhile, but you will be alive. Maybe that's more information than any of you wanted, and kinda offstopic, but I know so there you have it if you want it.

Back on topic. I love this car, if I can use that word for an inanimate object. It's perfect. And I'll be severly pissed when I can't buy anything like it in the future. By the way, you guys have really nice looking cars. I wish they had more pictures posted somewhere. I'd like to see the different model years and how they've held up.

wingman
03-06-2006, 03:09 AM
The best? I can only say from my experience. The best BMW i've driven for handling+power to weight+nick knacks is my father's E46 330i. I've also driven E34s, E30s, E9 3.0csi, 2002, E12, E24? 635csi, E21, E?? 745Li. For overall performance, fun, looks, practicality, user-friendliness, comfort and lust factor I'll take the E34.

CharlesAFerg
03-06-2006, 03:28 AM
Without a doubt, the E39 ///M5
Saved my life. Totalled, but saved my life.
No joke there. I am absolutely grateful and a BMW customer forever.

genphreak
03-06-2006, 05:19 AM
... If you are sensitive to E34 M5 carnage, you may want to close the window and not scroll down farther.. the pictures are quite graphic. Ouch, I wish I hadn't done exactly that...

genphreak
03-06-2006, 05:27 AM
Oh, and I forgot to say, it has another downside- it isn't anywhere near as phat as the glorious e32 :)

genphreak
03-06-2006, 06:36 AM
saw a brand new 530 today on the freeway, looked like a bucket of crap. My s1ut (Mil) asked what the _uck was it and I told her, she said theres no way id let you trade it for this. Female point of view and I couldnt agree more.Yes, my gf acts the same way Jeff, she just wishes mine wasn't (so often in pieces) in her mum's driveway... from that pov, a new one would be nicer for her :(

The new designs have grown on my taste buds a bit. The new ones have a certain design alure which is of a boldly German nature (ie 'we don't care if its ugly, we like it like this (besides its so brilliantly functional you can get stuffed if you don't like it)'). This is refreshing from a cultural point of view as Germany so often has its tail between its legs despite leading the world in s many ways. But the new cars lost the grace in the bodyform dept, something the Italians always get right. Of course, the interiors make the car unlivable, with all that plastic gizmododry and fake chrome jewelery- its simply way OTT, I don't think I could get use to it- they are looking so plain- ie just like Mazda, GM and Ford interiors with more bells and whistles. Regardless of what it does or how well it does it (ie M5), it still looks that way and I would despise it.

I love wingman's suggestion that BMW build an enthusiast range, like most manufacturers (many of which are going back to their roots design wise in a desperate attempt to give their (otherwise) plastic monstrosities some style), which is of course a complete waste of time. That would be great! It really would be time to lease a car again if you could get an M10 powered e34 with side airbagsadn modern electronics... ;) Nick

Anthony (M5 in Calgary)
03-06-2006, 10:28 AM
E34 is nice but it's a bit too small. My fave for looks is a late E38 740i Sport with M-Parallels. Of course with slushbox only there's no chance I'd actually want to own one...

dacoyote
03-06-2006, 10:38 AM
Best looking... nope....
easy to work on... kinda....
Most Modern BMW that doesn't look like a honda... YES

I love my e34.... wouldn't mind something older... wouldn't go newer on a bet....

Only think I wish it has was side curtian airbags... anyone ever retrofitted them?

Tom Bombadil
03-06-2006, 11:35 AM
I have had an E34 525iT for a few weeks an love it so far.
I also have an E46 330i and a E30 325iX. Our first BMW was an E28 528e; wonderfull car that was...

The E30 is the most "fun", in visceral terms.
Th E46 is the car I want to drive the most.
The E34 is the best looking IMHO and I appreciate its quality feel the most.

bimmerd00d
03-06-2006, 11:44 AM
I was anti anything newer than E34, until we got an E39. I believe the E39 is a great daily driver, i wouldn't consider it as much fun by any means. The e39 is much much more comfortable on a long trip in my opinion, and has a lot more creature comforts, as factory options at least. The E38 as well. I still have much love for the E34, and it will still be my favorite BMW to drive, and quite possibly my favorite car to drive of all-time. Even my lowly 525i 5-spd put a smile on my face no matter what i was doing in it. I still hold the opinion that the E34, in its right form, is the greatest looking BMW ever made....with the E30, E38, and E39 in close running to it.

ryan roopnarine
03-06-2006, 12:00 PM
no.

this is the best bmw ever.

seen here rocketing past an e46, at between 540 and 600 MPH.

i tried hotlinking, it wouldn't let me. click on the link

damnit, i tried linking to the page, it still wouldn't let me.

click on this page, its the pic, second from the right, at the very top of the page

http://www.swisscarsightings.com/archives/pages/bmwothers.html

its weird that somebody would get a juxtaposed action pic like that, other than at a bmw picnic or such.

genphreak
03-06-2006, 04:29 PM
no. this is the best bmw ever. seen here rocketing past an e46, at between 540 and 600 MPH. http://www.swisscarsightings.com/archives/pages/bmwothers.htmlAhhh yes the great Isetta. (http://www.swisscarsightings.com/bmw/BMW%20Isetta.jpg) Such a fine automobile, nothing on 3 wheels can surpass it. We had one at a recent BMW meet in Sydney, the guy went home with 2 girls in it (from a show and shine day!!!) :D Nick

rob101
03-06-2006, 04:59 PM
yeah, I don't know about being the best BMW ever, I hate to be diplomatic but not everyone wants a large sedan sized car these days. another thing that hasn't been mentioned is the front end suspension bushes problems that is a PITA. that said I hate e36's i think they are a poseur car for the most part (i see too many "fast" 318is's).... I might get an e39 one day not sure because alot of people on this board bagged them and also i want an M30 because i think they are one of the best engines ever made. so a manual 535i is on the cards in my future me thinks....... but not for a while
oh yeah i like my e28 better than my e34 but that is to do with other stuff (ie trip computer leather interior, not having to remove soo much plastic etc. to get to engine parts.) that said alot of people (even people who hate cars over 5 years old) have said they like the look of my e34.

525SEI BRIT
03-06-2006, 05:28 PM
Yes!!! :d

Mitch90535im
03-06-2006, 05:37 PM
I don't know about "best", but the E9 was the first BMW I ever drove, and I still have yet do drive anything that made that good of a first impression on me. For "best" I would probably vote for the E30, with the E28 a close 2nd and the E34 3rd:

http://www.cs-zone.com/E9%20CHA2.jpg

http://www.bmwworld.com/pics/5er/14118_1024.jpg

This Cabrio looks identical to the one I had:

http://www14.plala.or.jp/lemondrop/carchoice/other/E30.jpg

Blitzkrieg Bob
03-06-2006, 07:46 PM
Of design and engineering or should I say over engineering in some areas.

It's great car, yeah some of it's accessories seem dated now, and my M20 might be light on the ponies, but hell the OBC tells me I am only averaging 20 MPH…So I guess it don’t really matter.

Jay 535i
03-06-2006, 08:47 PM
Best BMW? That'd be this: :)

http://www.car.ee/wallpapers/previews/rolls-royce-phantom-762.jpg

Or this:

http://slotracinglemans.com/images/profiles/bmw_v12_art_15.jpg

Or even this:

http://www.moniqueandjay.com/f1.jpg

You really could make a strong case for any of those. Well, okay, that last one's yet to prove itself.

Probably I'd give the M1 my vote for best. E34's definitely in the top 5.

tncbass
03-17-2006, 03:42 AM
Let's not forget that the new BMW's were designed by an American.

Paul in NZ
03-17-2006, 04:18 AM
oh yeah i like my e28 better than my e34 but that is to do with other stuff (ie trip computer leather interior,

strange,thats one reason why i bought my e34...full leather obc etc
http://www.bimmer.info/bmw/kiwi535/int.jpg

genphreak
03-17-2006, 05:59 AM
strange,thats one reason why i bought my e34...full leather obc etc The last of the e28s had it all too, leather, electrics (which is only a bit polished on the e34; mainly the ventilation, sound system, alarm, locks and optional accessories. The '86 e28 M535i employed the same OBC, cruise, Motronic (same engine and gearbox excepting the airbox, ECU and camshaft). :) Nick

genphreak
03-17-2006, 06:02 AM
Without a doubt, the E39 ///M5
Saved my life. Totalled, but saved my life.
No joke there. I am absolutely grateful and a BMW customer forever.Well I guess we can't argue with this logic... they are truly amazing metal boxes really aren't they! This one proabbly saved its occupants too... or then again... perhaps nothing would have survived, but I don't think the car had much to do with it really...

zhandax
03-17-2006, 06:53 AM
It does not look like that car caught fire which indicates either some top notch engineering or some lotto-winning luck.

I may have to agree with shogun on the E12. Maybe you had to own one. That said, I prefer the look of my e34.

Alexlind123
03-17-2006, 09:09 AM
Is that an e34 or an e32? the rear window on the back door looks a bit long for some reason.