PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!!!! I SCREWED UP!!! Tranny broke....

JD525IA
03-05-2006, 06:00 PM
I hope I didn't screw myself out of a tranny!!! Please advise.

1992 525IA E34 automatic. Production date: 9/92.
Tranny has the dipstick and the two pans, smaller front and bigger rear.
Is this the 4HP22? Other?

I have been having intermittant "Trans Prog" when coming to a stop or when driving gently. Punch it and it goes like hell. Drive gingerly and it gets upset.

I thought we could have some nasties in the fluid, so I thought I'd give a shot at a fluid and filter change.

So, I was doing just that today. Got the two gaskets, filter, and a new set of bolts from BMA this past week.

I had the old filter off and was looking at the wiring to see how it was doing before bolting on the new filter. I had a clean shop towel and was dabbing off the tranny fluid that was about to drip into my face. When I pressed near the rear of the opening, I heard a small "crack" that sounded like some old, brittle plastic cracking.

Upon closer inspection, it appeared that I had cracked the plastic going into a solenoid(what does this do?). Since it had not completely broken free, I assumed it was not fubar. I prayed that I could put it back together and hope for the best. I put the filter on, put the new gasket and pan back on, and filled with 3.5 qts of Dextron/MerconIII.

I lowered her and started her up, running thru the gears while not rolling. I got a "Trans Prog" immediately. Shut it down and scratched head. Crap.

I rubbed lucky rabbit foot very hard and went for it again. Same thing. :(

So, back to that solenoid near the rear of the pan. I looked closer at it the second time and it was definitely broken. The two little barbs were on the half of the connector and the copper wires were visible inside the end of the solenoid. Dang.

By the way, can you reuse fluid if you just put it in there. I cleaned the pan well and used brake cleaner line the procedure said. Yes, the magnet was dirty the first time I dropped it but no metal flakes, just black grime.

Can you get just that solenoid replaced? Or am I fubar? I will call my INDY in the AM but I want to hear what you guys say first?

Please advise!!!

Thanks in advance,

JD

Tiger
03-05-2006, 07:11 PM
Don't worry! You know... you just solved your trans prog error... that bad selenoid... you can replace them so no need for panic.

As for fluid, you can reuse it... no problem at all.

RobPatt
03-05-2006, 08:07 PM
....though some may argue, my experience is nothing on the E34 is as bad as it initially seems... my guess is you have the GM tranny (don't remember your model/year) and if you can get an indy to pull the error code from the tranny do so.... write it down and if repeats repull and write that one down... read the boardarchives and www.bmwe34.net - you can defeat this.! god luck - Rob.