PDA

View Full Version : engine oil pressure

diamond777
03-05-2006, 02:33 PM
i had the light come on when i started my 91 535i and then went out almost immediately. also when i stopped car and turned off engine the same light came on and said see owners manual any similar situations out there or suggestions tia

wingman
03-05-2006, 03:43 PM
i had the light come on when i started my 91 535i and then went out almost immediately. also when i stopped car and turned off engine the same light came on and said see owners manual any similar situations out there or suggestions tia

Mine does it occaissonally. I changed the oil pressure switch (cheap). Still does it occaissonally. I'll be following this thread.

diamond777
03-05-2006, 07:46 PM
i forgot that i put in only 5 quarts of oil so it was a little low hmmmmm not coming on now we shall see:D

diamond777
03-06-2006, 09:36 PM
oops spoke too soon -i will be replacing that 7 dollar part -the oil pressure switch and we shall see:(

Turbo Ready
03-06-2006, 09:41 PM

There are some issues being noted about the check valve in the oil filter housing not working well which can cause this. This check valve is supposed to maintain a volume of oil in the canister when the engine is switched off. When it starts failing, it allows the oil to drain back into the sump. So when you start the car it takes a while to fill back the canister and filter with oil, during this period, the oil light comes on.

You might have to get the valves changed.

Adnan
03-06-2006, 11:45 PM
Hi,

The valves are not replaceable. You will have to replace the entire housing to cure a leaky check valve.

Regads,
Adnan

Rustam
03-06-2006, 11:54 PM

I would replace oil pressure switch and trace the wiring. If the light went out immediately I don't think you have anything to worry about. Bruno's website mentions about the valve in the filter canister - I would look into that only if after replacing the oil pressure switch and good check up of wiring I found same "problem" persisting...

diamond777
03-07-2006, 02:20 AM
oil pressure switch onthe way hope it helps car sure runs good though-keeping my fingers crossed thanks to all

Turbo Ready
03-07-2006, 01:18 PM
Hi,

The valves are not replaceable. You will have to replace the entire housing to cure a leaky check valve.

Regads,
Adnan

Hi Adnan, sure there is no way it can be pressed or milled out? I will pull mine apart soon as I am in the process of doing a complete rebuild to see if it can be done.

I screwed up earlier posting the wrong pic.

Here is the oil canister housing.

Bill R.
03-07-2006, 01:48 PM
consensus is that there's no easy way to replace the valve other than the housing. Bruno sell some remote filter adapters to do away with this completely. This issue pops up on the boards every year or so.
Here's Bruno's page on it
(http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/trouble/OilCanister.htm)

Hi Adnan, sure there is no way it can be pressed or milled out? I will pull mine apart soon as I am in the process of doing a complete rebuild to see if it can be done.

I screwed up earlier posting the wrong pic.

Here is the oil canister housing.

Scott H
03-07-2006, 02:47 PM
Get an oil canister with a known working check valve from Martin in Bellevue....oh wait, he's probably out of them now :D

It's probably cheaper to find one from a wrecker, but you are never guaranteed it will work until you run it.....unless you can strike a deal with the seller that you will be allowed a refund.

consensus is that there's no easy way to replace the valve other than the housing. Bruno sell some remote filter adapters to do away with this completely. This issue pops up on the boards every year or so.

Turbo Ready
03-07-2006, 03:42 PM

I have seen Bruno`s adapters before on his website, and it looks like good way to go. I have never seen it up close but will be going to Toronto for my body kit. I usually go by his place when I am up there so will take a look.

I am turbo charging and will track my m30, so trying to do as much as I can to ensure the engine gets flawless lubrication. A friend of mine (e34 owner) reminded me about the oil spray bar`s banjo bolt running slack as well, I was not surprised to find it almost right out when I started pullimg the engine apart.

Turbo Ready
03-13-2006, 03:08 PM
Any news so far as to what the problem was?