PDA

View Full Version : Unusual plug for product. Most of you that know me, know that

Bill R.
03-05-2006, 02:11 PM
i rarely plug product and frequently dispel hype on a lot of products. A few months ago on ebay some iridium sparkplugs showed up with a very good price considering how much they are locally. 12.50 each locally. these were less than 5 bucks on ebay, so i ordered a set to try in my daily driver/partsrunner Toyota previa.
I didn't expect much and was replacing a set of double platinum plugs that are specified by toyota for this van. The double platinum were only a few months old. As soon as i put these in I noticed an instant rpm increase which was really unexpected and i had to turn the rpm down at the throttle body adjustment to get it back to normal, after driving it around yesterday and today there is a very noticeable difference in smoothness ,response and power,cold start is much faster also.
I really wasn't expecting to tell any difference at all so this is pretty surprising. Here's a pic of how small the center electrode is on the iridium's, don't know if i'd try them on the m30 but i'm definitely going to get some for the m52 motor. They claim a mileage increase somewhere on the order of between 2 and 4% and they have dyno charts to show approx a 3%hp gain on a 99 civic with them, very rarely will you ever see a major spark plug manufacturer with dyno charts verifying an improvement.http://www.bimmernut.com/%7Ebillr/images2/iridium2.jpg

http://www.bimmernut.com/%7Ebillr/images2/Iridiumplugs1.jpg

diamond777
03-05-2006, 02:15 PM
you yanked out all that **** to change plugs that were only a few months old.i want your job

Bill R.
03-05-2006, 02:21 PM
look like almost all the time unless i have a week or so off... Still want my job?http://www.bimmernut.com/%7Ebillr/images2/Iridiumplug4.jpg

you yanked out all that **** to change plugs that were only a few months old.i want your job

Jr ///M5
03-05-2006, 02:31 PM
Can't speak for the M52 motor, but the M54 in Lori's 525 is VERY picky about plugs. I tried a set of the Bosch platinum plugs in it at 55k miles. There were 2 plugs listed on the ETK, despite what others said about sticking with what it came with, I went with the Bosch. Mistake...

Well, 20k miles later and the Bosch's were throwing misfire codes and the car was running rough. I ordered up a set of the NGK's that were taken out of the car and she's all happy again. The electrode on the NGK's was much bigger than the Bosch plugs. It's approaching about 84k miles now, although the milage has dropped some 2-3 miles per gallon, where it used to return 29 mpg average on the highway, it's down to 26-27. I'm thinking the 02 sensors are tiring, but there's 4 of them at a Franklin each...yikes! Guess I better be saving for the 100k tune job, let's see, brakes, serpentine belts, fuel filter, trans fluid change ($112 just for the fluid), diff change (also arm and a leg type fluid), inspection 2, and the 02 sensors...

Good luck with the iridiums in the E46 Bill, I know you gave them good reviews when they first came out a few years ago, but I haven't heard a whole lot about them since.

Jr

Bill R.
03-05-2006, 02:42 PM
my ford truck 4.6 v8 that i haven't put in yet , now that they seem to work so well in the toyota i won't hesitate to put them in the ford as well. If the claimed milage increase of around 4% is accurate , Yvonne is getting 23.5 city and 33 highway in the m52 right now , steady as clockwork so that would be almost 1 mile per gallon better city and 1.32mpg better highway
If you guys are anything like us then your fuel is oxygenated in the winter and you can normally expect about a 10% drop in the winter. We switch back here around the middle of march so mileage should go back up.. I wouldn't jump into changing her o2 sensors just yet.

Can't speak for the M52 motor, but the M54 in Lori's 525 is VERY picky about plugs. I tried a set of the Bosch platinum plugs in it at 55k miles. There were 2 plugs listed on the ETK, despite what others said about sticking with what it came with, I went with the Bosch. Mistake...

Well, 20k miles later and the Bosch's were throwing misfire codes and the car was running rough. I ordered up a set of the NGK's that were taken out of the car and she's all happy again. The electrode on the NGK's was much bigger than the Bosch plugs. It's approaching about 84k miles now, although the milage has dropped some 2-3 miles per gallon, where it used to return 29 mpg average on the highway, it's down to 26-27. I'm thinking the 02 sensors are tiring, but there's 4 of them at a Franklin each...yikes! Guess I better be saving for the 100k tune job, let's see, brakes, serpentine belts, fuel filter, trans fluid change ($112 just for the fluid), diff change (also arm and a leg type fluid), inspection 2, and the 02 sensors...

Good luck with the iridiums in the E46 Bill, I know you gave them good reviews when they first came out a few years ago, but I haven't heard a whole lot about them since.

Jr

DanDombrowski
03-05-2006, 03:19 PM
That sight looks familiar.....I just did a valve cover gasket on my girlfriend's parents previa.

Bill R.
03-05-2006, 08:14 PM
from the factory with iridium plugs and all the hybrids, honda,toyota and ford also come factory with them.

Jr

winfred
03-05-2006, 08:39 PM
i don't see why iridiums wouldn't work well in anything, it's a small electrode but it's not shrouded like the bosch platinums so they should self clean well unlike the bosch plat's, ngk plat's are nice but pricey but the iridiums are getting cheeper and becomming a option, i remember when they were over $20 each

Evan
03-19-2006, 11:14 AM
has anyone else tried these? should i be the first M60 tester?

winfred
03-19-2006, 11:49 AM
shouldn't hurt anything

Erwin8r
03-19-2006, 04:35 PM
Yeah, give it a shot, Evan, and report back. I've got a set of Bosch platinums in mine that I want to replace... Just not at ease with them in there...

digitaldragon03
03-19-2006, 06:27 PM
I just put in Platinum +4 in my M60, after reading around, im scared now.

winfred
03-19-2006, 06:53 PM
they won't explode or anything, may even run ok for a while but they will start to fowl and reduce efficiancy espicially the way the v8 move oil through the pcv system

I just put in Platinum +4 in my M60, after reading around, im scared now.

athflying79
03-19-2006, 06:58 PM
they won't explode or anything, may even run ok for a while but they will start to fowl and reduce efficiancy espicially the way the v8 move oil through the pcv system

Yup. I have an M30, but the first thing I did was put some plugs in my car when I first bought it. Went to Autozone and asked what fit. It was the +4's or regular platinums from what I remember. Figured the +4's had to be better (didn't visit this site then). Ran great for about a month, maybe two. Then in the mornings it would run like a 2-stroke with a fouled plug. After clearing out, it would run "ok". Went to my local indie and got the plugs recommended for the M30 and ran 10x better.

winfred
03-19-2006, 07:05 PM
a lean burning modern engine is about all bosch plat's work in with that gnats cock sized shrouded center electrode, if it protruded past the insulator it would stand a chance of self cleaning

TheGnat
03-19-2006, 07:11 PM
WTF is that supposed to mean?

a lean burning modern engine is about all bosch plat's work in with that gnats cock sized shrouded center electrode, if it protruded past the insulator it would stand a chance of self cleaning

Evan
03-19-2006, 07:17 PM
I apologize to all gnats on behalf of Winfred... especially easily offended, highly defensive gnats from the middle east. <smirk>

BillionPa
03-23-2006, 06:17 PM
I have been running Denso iridium plugs for almost a year and am very happy with the power and throttle response.