PDA

View Full Version : Torque converter question

Hypr5
03-05-2006, 12:57 AM
Hey guys,

When the torque converter is mounted to the transmission and you turn it by hand, should the output shaft of the trans turn too - assuming that it is "in gear"?? I'm a little confused about how that works.

Thanks!

jjw
03-05-2006, 01:26 AM
No, it won't. Auto trans will need hydro. pressure to work, or it just free wheels.

Hypr5
03-05-2006, 01:29 AM
Thanks for the reply

One other question...
What happens if the torque converter is installed empty?
It lost most of the fluid while trying to get it mated to the trans...

Will letting it idle for a few "prime it" ??

Rustam
03-05-2006, 01:39 AM
Thanks for the reply

One other question...
What happens if the torque converter is installed empty?
It lost most of the fluid while trying to get it mated to the trans...

Will letting it idle for a few "prime it" ??

if the converter does not have enough fluid it does not transmit rotation to the transmission. No hydraulic pressure = no rotation - see just above...

Hypr5
03-05-2006, 01:42 AM
Well, I understand that, but I'm wondering if it will get primed from the oil in the pan...

Bill R.
03-05-2006, 01:55 AM
Well, I understand that, but I'm wondering if it will get primed from the oil in the pan...

Hypr5
03-05-2006, 01:58 AM
Oh thank goodness. Some were telling me that it won't get filled and I was getting worried!!

whew. Thanks. :)

BTW - what is the point of even adding fluid to the converter before installation, then?

Bill R.
03-05-2006, 02:03 AM
out of the car. Most mercedes still have a drain plug on the converter itself and when you change the fluid you're supposed to remove the converter plug and drain the converter completely

Oh thank goodness. Some were telling me that it won't get filled and I was getting worried!!

whew. Thanks. :)

BTW - what is the point of even adding fluid to the converter before installation, then?

Hypr5
03-05-2006, 02:07 AM
Awesome.
Now I can sleep. Thank you. :D

This whole process really worries me, there are so many "be careful" things about the torque converter. Maybe I'm just going crazy.

I'm worried that its not going to fill (well.. not anymore) and that its not seated properly - but it went in pretty damn far and bolts up properly, so hopefully that is ok.

Is there any specific way to know for sure that it is seated correctly aside from feeling the 3 "clicks" as it goes in?

Edit: Clutches are so much easier! :p

Bill R.
03-05-2006, 10:59 AM
motor and if once the bell housing was bolted to the motor you then had to slide the torque converter forward or rotate it to line up the bolts then its engaged properly.

Awesome.
Now I can sleep. Thank you. :D

This whole process really worries me, there are so many "be careful" things about the torque converter. Maybe I'm just going crazy.

I'm worried that its not going to fill (well.. not anymore) and that its not seated properly - but it went in pretty damn far and bolts up properly, so hopefully that is ok.

Is there any specific way to know for sure that it is seated correctly aside from feeling the 3 "clicks" as it goes in?

Edit: Clutches are so much easier! :p