PDA

View Full Version : Steering TOO sensative!

S Lawns
03-04-2006, 09:53 PM
I'll try and make this quick.

I have a '92 325i that developed a vibration when turned slightly to the left. Found out it had a bad ball joint in lower right control arm, so I replaced both control arms and put in solid bushings. Wound up have a vibration between 60-70 mph no matter what I did.

Took it to a mechanic friend to have new tie rods and aligned and he found that the steering rack was bad (probably from the earlier vibration). He installed a new one and had it aligned.

Now the steering is very tight, actually takes more effort to turn than before, but the car wants to walk all over the road. If there is a crack, like changing lanes, when the tire hits it, it will jerk the car in that direction. Even if the road has slight rutts it will pull the car in either direction.

If on a smooth and flat surface the car is straight as an arrow, has no pulls even braking. Any thoughts?

jlcool007
04-17-2006, 04:56 PM
well, that swhat happens when yu get a brand-new spanking knife edged steering box....that veering you are talking about is "tramlinning" basically it is so sharp that it wants to follow every crack in the road...changing to a less-stiff walled tire or lowering your pressure will get that in check a lil' . When i got my steering tightened..well, it did exactly as you said....it gets looser, don't worry.
its allllll normal

whe you turn, it "wants" to stick in that wheel position, huh? same here, it will get better, if it doesn't you can always ask to have your steering loosedned up a bit...

-jason

s_ribbens
05-07-2006, 08:32 AM
What are your alignment specs? Toe could be off which would contribute to the tramlining. Also, if you are running larger wheels/tires that also can cause tramlining. I doubt there is an issue here. Sounds like the car was just very sloppy before so you are having to get used to a tight car once again.