PDA

View Full Version : Lowering the OE seats

Jay 535i
03-04-2006, 12:32 PM
Does anyone know of a way, or can think of a way, to lower the OE seats a bit? I'm pretty tall, plus I'd like the cockpit to feel a little more enveloping.

Any ideas? An inch is all it would take to make a big difference, I think.

Fred Tyler
03-04-2006, 10:27 PM
Does anyone know of a way, or can think of a way, to lower the OE seats a bit? I'm pretty tall, plus I'd like the cockpit to feel a little more enveloping.

Any ideas? An inch is all it would take to make a big difference, I think.
Without sitting in your seat adjust the rear lever, watch your fingers! That will raise the seat, get in and pull on the same lever. Seat will settle down untill you take your hand off the lever. regards fred

Jay 535i
03-05-2006, 02:19 PM
Not sure I understand, Fred. Come again?

My seats are electric, if that matters.

After looking closer at my seats it doesn't look like there's enough clearance to lower them any more. I may just raise everything else ;)

Bill R.
03-05-2006, 02:27 PM
tall people allows the seat to go further back and this also lowers the seat some at the same time

Not sure I understand, Fred. Come again?

My seats are electric, if that matters.

After looking closer at my seats it doesn't look like there's enough clearance to lower them any more. I may just raise everything else ;)

janzamon
03-05-2006, 03:34 PM
I also have the same problem as jay 535i. Even half an inch lower would be great. Today I fiddled around with the seat and found that there is no easy way of getting the seat lower. When you move the seat back it goes a bit lower but then I have the problem of hands not reaching the steering wheel. I hate my body :)

Jay 535i
03-05-2006, 03:55 PM
Maybe some kind of custom seat bracket would do the job?

Scott H
03-05-2006, 04:01 PM
you either need to find a set of manual sport seats ($$) or recaros.

I supposed you could take the seat bottom foam out and have it shaved down as well.

Maybe some kind of custom seat bracket would do the job?

Jay 535i
03-05-2006, 04:41 PM
you either need to find a set of manual sport seats ($$) or recaros.

I supposed you could take the seat bottom foam out and have it shaved down as well.

I'm not sure that last idea would work.

Thanks anyway. I'll just deal. :)

bahnstormer
03-05-2006, 10:32 PM
is this is the seat control

_ /

the part that goes like this _
can be moved down on both ends...
this lowers the seat tremendously but moves it back a bit
so just use the steering wheel telescope and adjust to fit

Scott H
03-05-2006, 10:45 PM
my head hits the roof easily. I'd like to lower the seat by 1" as well. They shave/form seat foam all the time for custom fits.....don't see why it would be a problem here.

dternst
03-06-2006, 12:22 AM
Re-sulpturing the seat cushion would be my suggestion.

Jay 535i
03-06-2006, 01:42 AM
And who would do that kind of thing? A profe$$ional auto uphol$terer, I guess, but that's pretty ex$$$pensive.