PDA

View Full Version : ::.. The Infinity Basslink Sucks...

Qube
03-04-2006, 12:25 AM
::.. The Infinity Basslink Sucks...

No, don't get me wrong. It does it's job and fills in the low notes quite nicely. In fact, for the money, it's a great investment return.

My only gripe is no matter how I tune it (phase, gain, etc), it almost completely cancels out the engine growl. Make no mistake... I'm not into head splitting bass with volume at 99%. No. I'm a Smooth Jazz and Soul type person. Even so, I find I can now barely make out the engine growl. I use to shift by the sound of the engine. Now I find it's hard to hear it.

Sure, this may be the way it's supposed to be, but it's a big tradeoff. Better filled sound but losing on the sweet, sweet sound of the big six.

I already have a K&N in there (gasp!). Is there any other more sane way to get a throatier growl? Nah, dropping in a v8 isn't feasible :)

Alexlind123
03-04-2006, 12:29 AM
Get louder exhaust.

Qube
03-04-2006, 12:30 AM
Get louder exhaust.

It's a fine line to walk with an exhaust. One wrong move and you'll sound like a fart can Civic ;)

zmuff
03-04-2006, 07:16 AM
Try the custom mlholbrook 535 ram air intake available at your local Home Depot. Just for fun, I did on my 535 a couple of weeks ago. I wasn't looking for, or expecting speed, power, economy or any of that. But at WOT, the induction noise is just a tad deeper, not much. Kind of like flipping the air cleaner on the old GM quadrajet. It probably sounds better from the outside coming at you than it does from the drivers seat. Can you hear it over the Basslink? Maybe.

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=18520

I just realized my car has Ford parts, Porsche parts, airplane parts, and sewer parts...ha ha!

onewhippedpuppy
03-04-2006, 07:36 AM
Turn off the radio? That's why I removed the radio entirely from my '70 911T I had, the engine sounded so damn good who needs a radio?

McWatters
03-04-2006, 08:26 AM
Passengers complain when there aint no radioo. Especially the femal gf type

lol cheers

J.McWatters

onewhippedpuppy
03-04-2006, 09:36 AM
Yeah, but she hated the 911 anyway.:D

mholbrook
03-04-2006, 10:07 AM
Yup, the "Lowes Ram Air" will make a little more ear candy from the Big Six. And it looks pretty good in there too. Almost like a sewer pipe!

Jr ///M5
03-04-2006, 12:33 PM
Er, uhm....ummmmm...

Hey Qube, this is not intended to hijack your thread, but Scott and I were discussing why you picked a flower motif for your wedding countdown timer:D

Didn't they have cars or something?

ha,ha,ha....just pulling your chain.

Congrats, now you can join the rest of us in bliss....

Jr

Scott H
03-04-2006, 01:30 PM
lol

Scott H
03-04-2006, 01:31 PM
a fart can Civic.....but you can sounds like a fart can big 3.5L 6cyl :D

It's a fine line to walk with an exhaust. One wrong move and you'll sound like a fart can Civic ;)

Bill R.
03-04-2006, 01:33 PM
Er, uhm....ummmmm...

Hey Qube, this is not intended to hijack your thread, but Scott and I were discussing why you picked a flower motif for your wedding countdown timer:D

Didn't they have cars or something?

ha,ha,ha....just pulling your chain.

Congrats, now you can join the rest of us in bliss....

Jr

Jay 535i
03-04-2006, 01:35 PM
I had a K&N conical filter for a while. It did nothing for the power, but the induction roar was noticeably louder. You might like it. The sound got lots of compliments, but I found it too boomy. My intake is back to stock now.

Qube
03-04-2006, 03:15 PM
I had a K&N conical filter for a while. It did nothing for the power, but the induction roar was noticeably louder. You might like it. The sound got lots of compliments, but I found it too boomy. My intake is back to stock now.

How much did you get it for? With heat shield?

BTW: the flower/butterfly motif is 'her' choice. I got my word in edgewise with the "Oh No" at the end. She ain't touching my car though!

Jay 535i
03-04-2006, 04:25 PM
How much did you get it for? With heat shield?

Huh, I think I gave it to Bruno. He may still have it, or you could buy a new one. My old one was filthy, but it could be cleaned.

It didn't have a heat shield, which is part of why the whole setup was stupid.