PDA

View Full Version : Sober rational EAT chip review

calmloki
03-03-2006, 03:56 PM
Just put a Mark D'Sylva chip into my '93 525iT. I carry a bunch of weight - the truck scales have me at 4225# - and the thing felt like a fat bloated underpowered pig of a station wagon. I am real real thrifty, and had a hard time convincing myself that $200 worth of electronics was going to be worth installing for 10% more power. Just put the chip in and fired it up - I say the idle was smoother. Hmm. Pulled away from the curb and did a 6 block run and am I a happy boy! The station wagon now feels like a BMW! It's eager, responsive feeling, the tingle is there for the first time. I'm going to go drive my car. 'Cause I want too! Happy? I'm tempted to buy another EAT chip just in case I talk myself into swapping a M50 into a 2855# E30. WooHoo! Before this the V1 was the best money spent on the BMW, now I'm ready to chip everything.
And that's my sober adult review.
Tom Walrod

1995 525i
03-03-2006, 04:11 PM
Just put a Mark D'Sylva chip into my '93 525iT. I carry a bunch of weight - the truck scales have me at 4225# - and the thing felt like a fat bloated underpowered pig of a station wagon. I am real real thrifty, and had a hard time convincing myself that $200 worth of electronics was going to be worth installing for 10% more power. Just put the chip in and fired it up - I say the idle was smoother. Hmm. Pulled away from the curb and did a 6 block run and am I a happy boy! The station wagon now feels like a BMW! It's eager, responsive feeling, the tingle is there for the first time. I'm going to go drive my car. 'Cause I want too! Happy? I'm tempted to buy another EAT chip just in case I talk myself into swapping a M50 into a 2855# E30. WooHoo! Before this the V1 was the best money spent on the BMW, now I'm ready to chip everything.
And that's my sober adult review.
Tom Walrod

Thanks for the post Tom. I too have a hard time parting with money and $200, while not a lot to some, is considerable for me. I have heard the EAT chip is worth every penny so perhaps I'll make the plunge as well.

Michael

KenB
03-03-2006, 04:19 PM
I was very skeptical too and I'm not really into upgrades and mods. I put the EAT chip in mine and I was glad I did, what a difference! I was impressed by the lack of the typical below 3000rpm lag and smooth power throughout the range. Response is greatly improved all around. The best mod available IMHO.

Jay 535i
03-03-2006, 04:22 PM
I love my EAT chip. Well worth it.

1995 525i
03-03-2006, 04:45 PM
I love my EAT chip. Well worth it.

Am I to assume you guys are running premium fuel?

KenB
03-03-2006, 05:19 PM

Always. I also average 23.5mpg, (1/2 city and 1/2 highway driving) it improved slightly after installing the chip.

calmloki
03-03-2006, 07:13 PM
Ran premium the last two tanks, will continue to do so - the 525 calls for premium anyway according to the gas cap. Back from 35 miles on the car - difference seems most pronounced at lower rpms - which is right where the difference needs to be. If I could run two more chips in series I would - like that little taste of power!
Tom

Russell
03-03-2006, 09:12 PM
best money spent on my car

SC David
03-03-2006, 09:47 PM
What do the people on these boards have to say about the best chip for an M20?

nariusb
03-04-2006, 11:16 AM
I didn't find a big difference on my 1989 525i with m20 after EAT chip as far as power is concerned. The fuel economy is down slightly too. It did smooth out the idle though.

Gayle
03-04-2006, 11:49 AM
Tom You are a man after my own heart with 5 cars. How many of those do you actually drive and how many are garage princesses?

Jay 535i
03-04-2006, 12:50 PM

Yes.

calmloki
03-04-2006, 01:37 PM
Tom You are a man after my own heart with 5 cars. How many of those do you actually drive and how many are garage princesses?

Gayle,
Thanks for asking! The '56 Bug has been camped out in the garage since i sold my (primarily) VW shop - Body shell here, engine and IRS trans under the bench, IRS floorpan in front of the body, fenders and glass and such all over... The '56 Chevy 210 wagon has been in Sally's family since her Dad bought it in 1960 - it's been at the bodyshop for the last 3 months - we are spending an unconscionable amount for a ground up redo on a not-so-collectable car because it's got history. The '83 533i has been my workhorse for the last 5-6 years - it's in the garage too, because I really like the car - not going to sell it until the 525iT proves itself to me. The garaged '89 325i is Sally's mini-hotrod - swapped in a fresher engine, new clutch, upgraded to heated leather "recaro" seats and 3-spoke wheel from an '89 convertible I had for a while. The BMW is holding up much better than the '61 moonroof Bug she used to drive - I had a pumped up engine in that and she was scattering clutches on a regular basis. The 525 touring is my new everyday work car and sits in the rain at the curb.
What I need to do is sell the oval window bug that I just don't have enthusiasm for working on (making inside room for the '56 Chevy), sell the 533i, and buy myself a toy car. See - really I exaggerate - though my name is on all the titles and I maintain them all, only 3 of them are "mine". And I should sell 2 of those. So you see, I really need another car. or two.
Tom

Gayle
03-04-2006, 03:11 PM
Tom

Not only do you have an envyable collection of cars, but a wife who is in on the madness. Good job!

So if you add a couple, what would you like them to be?