PDA

View Full Version : 540 "Cold Air" Intake

araine901
03-03-2006, 01:10 PM
The 540 stock intake system appears to be an effective “cold air” intake. Do you think there is any advantage to be gained by insulating the stock intake from the ambient under hood temps? Every time I open the hood after driving the filter box and tubing feel hot. I know things may be different under there when driving and when the fan is spinning. I just wonder if it could be more effective with insulation. I am considering insulating mine and just wondered if anyone else had done it. I could not find anything in the archives about it.

632 Regal
03-03-2006, 02:08 PM
well it wouldnt hurt anything, might help on part throttle or cruising more than full throttle where the air doesnt have much of a chance of heating up. Would definetly help in traffic conditions.

araine901
03-03-2006, 02:13 PM
well it wouldnt hurt anything, might help on part throttle or cruising more than full throttle where the air doesnt have much of a chance of heating up. Would definetly help in traffic conditions.

Thanks, I know living in Phoenix there is no such thing as a cold air intake for several months of the year. I didnt think it would hurt anything and may help out in a best case scenario

Tiger
03-03-2006, 02:14 PM
Only problem I see is how you can insulate it without meeting some kind of obstructions. You certainly cannot insulate inside of the duct or box as it will restrict your air intake. Another consideration is if you managed to insulate it... what is the lifespan of such product and will it damage engine when it fail?

Might as well leave it alone.

araine901
03-03-2006, 02:19 PM
Tiger,

I was thinking of wraping the tubing with this type of stuff and cutting out a pattern to cover the air filter box from the outdside. Two parts, top and bottom and high heat adhesive or the adheisve backed stuff just like this.

http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productselection.asp?Product=1832

Tiger
03-03-2006, 06:06 PM
I wouldn't bother... You have to understand how fast our engine consume the air it sucks in... it is not like air conditioner at slow speed... At the rate of consumption, it will barely heat up due to engine bay heat.

If you are thinking about the traffic jams... well, how much HP do you need at that speed? ;)