PDA

View Full Version : How do I tell if I have an LSD

Jay 535i
03-03-2006, 12:06 PM
I mean really tell for certain, rather than putting one wheel on ice and interpreting the results?

My VIN is WBAHD230XLBF63449.

632 Regal
03-03-2006, 12:16 PM
look at the tag or raise the rear wheels, leave it in gear and spin 1 wheel...if the other side spins in reverse you dont have LSD.

Jay 535i
03-03-2006, 12:44 PM
What tag is that, Jeff?

Thanks.

ArtemLepilov
03-03-2006, 12:53 PM
What tag is that, Jeff?

Thanks.

Probably the tag on the LSD itself... It should have some sort of a letter next to a number, it would be the only letter there so I dont think I need to look up exactly what it is...

It should read something like: 3.46x and "x" is either nothing or a letter --> if its a letter, it is a limited slip, if X doesnt exist then its not an LSD.

-Artem

Jay 535i
03-03-2006, 01:03 PM
Thanks, Artem. I'll have a look the next time the car's on the lift.

One more day, baby ;)

632 Regal
03-03-2006, 01:03 PM
i think the posi's have an "S" on the tag.

Probably the tag on the LSD itself... It should have some sort of a letter next to a number, it would be the only letter there so I dont think I need to look up exactly what it is...

It should read something like: 3.46x and "x" is either nothing or a letter --> if its a letter, it is a limited slip, if X doesnt exist then its not an LSD.

-Artem

bimmerd00d
03-03-2006, 01:23 PM
got heated seats? if so, you prolly have an LSD. One way, is to turn frmo a stop and floor it...if the inside wheel lights up you dont have one. If both wheels light uip and the back end kicks out, you have LSD.

Jay 535i
03-03-2006, 01:28 PM
I do have heated seats, and headlamp washers.

I've done the test you mention and I'm pretty sure the results indicated an LSD, but with the slushbox I don't trust myself to tell. I'm gonna look at the tag.

Unless, that is, we can be certain that heated seats + headlamp washers = LSD.

Thanks, though.

bimmerd00d
03-03-2006, 01:30 PM
I do have heated seats, and headlamp washers.

I've done the test you mention and I'm pretty sure the results indicated an LSD, but with the slushbox I don't trust myself to tell. I'm gonna look at the tag.

Unless, that is, we can be certain that heated seats + headlamp washers = LSD.

Thanks, though.

I know those rules apply to the 5-spd, not sure about the automatic though.

Jay 535i
03-03-2006, 01:33 PM
I know those rules apply to the 5-spd, not sure about the automatic though.

What good are you, then? :)

bimmerd00d
03-03-2006, 01:37 PM
What good are you, then? :)

this coming from the driver of an automatic :D

Jay 535i
03-03-2006, 01:38 PM
this coming from the driver of an automatic :D

Not for long :D:D:D

Erwin8r
03-03-2006, 01:43 PM
Not for long :D:D:D
Only way to tell for sure is to look for the tag on the rear--there will be an S stamped into it (don't remember if it's before or after the number). There will also be an "S" painted on the body of the diff, but that would be really hard to spot...

632 Regal
03-03-2006, 02:04 PM
someone could have switched tags so thats not a given.

Erwin8r
03-03-2006, 02:20 PM
someone could have switched tags so thats not a given.
True--or the tag could be broken or missing. Still, it's probably his best sho (other than putting his rear tires in a puddle and "lighting them up.." :D )

Jay 535i
03-03-2006, 02:20 PM
I don't see any reason why someone would have messed with the tag in an effort to decieve. I don't think my car has had that kind of life.

JonE
03-03-2006, 04:54 PM
When you lift the rear end, both wheels, give one wheel a spin. If the other rear wheel spins in the opposite direction, it is likely an open diff. Look for the tag on the diff., might have to clean it up to see very good. As mentioned the LSD's will have the "S" after the numbers on the tag. My '90 535iA with heated seats has 3.91LSD, the following years will likely have the 4.27 diff with or without LSD.

ArtemLepilov
03-03-2006, 05:06 PM
When you lift the rear end, both wheels, give one wheel a spin. If the other rear wheel spins in the opposite direction, it is likely an open diff. Look for the tag on the diff., might have to clean it up to see very good. As mentioned the LSD's will have the "S" after the numbers on the tag. My '90 535iA with heated seats has 3.91LSD, the following years will likely have the 4.27 diff with or without LSD.

Yea, I believe he did that a few posts ago "passed the test" --> you got an LSD Jay.. you have it :)

I have one too :p

There is no way the wheels would spin in the opposite directions if it was not a posi

Unless... Someone messed with a tag and switched the gearing around that the wheels move in different directions anyway to deceive people into thinking it was a locking differential when it wasnt :D

-Artem

Alexlind123
03-03-2006, 05:38 PM
got heated seats? if so, you prolly have an LSD. One way, is to turn frmo a stop and floor it...if the inside wheel lights up you dont have one. If both wheels light uip and the back end kicks out, you have LSD.

I had both my back tires off the ground an the car in neutral and one spun in reverse when i moved the other in the forward direction. I do have heated seats however, and both tires will light up and the back end will come out if i have the wheel turned and im a little heavy on the gas. Luckily there was a parking lot for the back tires to go into in the most extreme event, and not a ditch.

632 Regal
03-03-2006, 06:34 PM
IRS is much better than a solid axle so it will pull dual straps at times, sounds like you have a open differential.

632 Regal
03-03-2006, 06:36 PM
ummm....wrong...

There is no way the wheels would spin in the opposite directions if it was not a posi-Artem