PDA

View Full Version : I have a Jim C Chip and had q's about fuel

nealf
03-03-2006, 09:52 AM
Had it in my car for years. I remember directions saying only run premium fuel. Saw a post on that 'other' board saying 535is because of their lower compression actually do run better on 87. Will this screw up my driveability with a non-stock chip if I run 87 or 89? Thanks.

nf
'90 535iA

angrypancake
03-03-2006, 09:56 AM
if the directions say run premium, then by all means run it. m30's stock chips are tuned for 87. but once you replace the chip, its premium all the way.

Bill R.
03-03-2006, 09:57 AM
regular with the lower compression(ie because it contains more energy per pound) you cannot run regular with a chip. The m30 does not have a knock sensor and will not adjust its timing depending on what fuel you have. Newer engines will so the fuel usage is a little more flexible. One of the biggest gains you get from a chip is advanced engine spark timing. By advancing the timing on an m30 it then requires higher octane to prevent pinging or preignition

Had it in my car for years. I remember directions saying only run premium fuel. Saw a post on that 'other' board saying 535is because of their lower compression actually do run better on 87. Will this screw up my driveability with a non-stock chip if I run 87 or 89? Thanks.

nf
'90 535iA