PDA

View Full Version : 540i tranny whine

zhandax
03-03-2006, 08:29 AM
I had the fluid and filter changed last week and now have a whine at the top of the shift points in first and second. I asked a mechanic buddy at work and he told me that when you flush out the gunk, it sometimes reveals weakness in the eletronics (solenoids). He mentioned also that I would not be able to tell which ones were bad until the warning light came on and I could use an OBC2 to tell me which ones were reporting faults.

Since the whine is only in first and second and I plan on installing the valve body update kit on the ZF when spring gets here, should I go ahead and replace the first and second solenoids when I install the updaate kit?

Bill R.
03-03-2006, 09:21 AM
the updated part from bmw, here's the bulletin regarding that whinehttp://www.bimmernut.com/%7Ebillr/images/540transwhine.jpg

I had the fluid and filter changed last week and now have a whine at the top of the shift points in first and second. I asked a mechanic buddy at work and he told me that when you flush out the gunk, it sometimes reveals weakness in the eletronics (solenoids). He mentioned also that I would not be able to tell which ones were bad until the warning light came on and I could use an OBC2 to tell me which ones were reporting faults.

Since the whine is only in first and second and I plan on installing the valve body update kit on the ZF when spring gets here, should I go ahead and replace the first and second solenoids when I install the updaate kit?

Tiger
03-03-2006, 09:25 AM
Ditto!

Bill R.
03-03-2006, 09:26 AM
http://www.bimmernut.com/%7Ebillr/images2/540transwhine.jpg

zhandax
03-03-2006, 09:39 AM
Thank you. Is it the same on the 5HP30 that I have? I have read about sucking noises from a poorly-fitting O-ring, but what I have is more of a whine and at the "just before shift" points in first and second gear. This is a Febi filter that I bought before I saw the posts about using the OEM filter.

zhandax
03-03-2006, 09:45 AM
Thanks also to 632 Regal. I guess I should have read my email instead of freaking out about all those duplicate posts.

Bill R.
03-03-2006, 09:51 AM
nomenclature of 5hp30http://www.bimmernut.com/%7Ebillr/images/zftransfluid-1.jpg

Thank you. Is it the same on the 5HP30 that I have? I have read about sucking noises from a poorly-fitting O-ring, but what I have is more of a whine and at the "just before shift" points in first and second gear. This is a Febi filter that I bought before I saw the posts about using the OEM filter.

zhandax
03-03-2006, 09:55 AM
So it sounds like I should do the valve body update with a factory filter + O-ring and see if the whine goes away? I have not found a price on the solenoids. If I can get them (fairly) cheaply, would it make sense to replace them for insurance?

zhandax
03-03-2006, 09:58 AM
Damn, Bill you can post this faster than I can hit the refresh button.

zhandax
03-03-2006, 10:25 AM
My tech mentioned that the campaign stickers on the door may indicate that the valve body had already been upgraded for the teflon ball problem. How can I tell if that particular campaign did or did not include the valve redesign?

Tiger
03-03-2006, 10:38 AM
Just change the O-ring... nothing else.

Bill R.
03-03-2006, 10:42 AM
down in the pan and less chance of sucking air. I agree with you on not changing anything else but the filter and oring though.

Just change the O-ring... nothing else.

zhandax
03-03-2006, 04:27 PM
I would rather do this myself than have it done, but I will not have access to my garage for 3-4 weeks. Will it do any damage to drive it like this for a month or is this something I should have done next weekend?

Tiger
03-03-2006, 06:03 PM
Do it ASAP.

Nikasilaholic
03-03-2006, 06:17 PM
Its the O-ring thickness. The aftermarket O-rings in the filter kit are slightly thinner than the kits from the dealer. After switching to the thicker O-ring, your tranny whine should go away if you have the correct fluid level.

zellars
03-06-2006, 12:30 PM

My 530i also has a whine and "trans program" message around 3rd/4th gear. I am looking for the valve body kit for it. Any suggestions where I could obtain it?

Tiger
03-06-2006, 12:37 PM
Kirt Koeller... search forum for his contact.

zhandax
03-17-2006, 08:57 AM
Thanks to you guys I now have no more tranny whine. Here are a couple of facts I discovered.

There are no Kragen's around here. I looked on the Penzoil site and found out that Jiffy Lube is the only authorized distributor for MV-ATF in Nashville. I called the local Jiffy Lube two exits down and they said they did not have it in the plastic bottles, but if I brought a container they would fill it for $3 a quart. I stopped at Walmart and bought a 2+ gallon container for $3 and JiffyLube filled it for $24.

I measured the O-ring from BMW, the aftermarket one I had replaced (I had the tech save it), and the one I bought from Rusty (I bought a kit from the stealer after Rusty's arrived because I really wanted to get to the bottom of this). I used a digital caliper since I did not have a micrometer, and the measurements may not be perfect, but I used the same technique on each. The O-ring from BMW measured 2.6mm. The one from Rusty (buybimmerparts.com) measured 2.61mm. The aftermarket from BMA that I replaced measured 2.55mm.

Also, the filter I bought from Rusty has the same ribs inside as the one from BMW, and bears the number >PA66+GF30X< just like the one from the stealer, but it does not say 'Filtran'. I will use it when I rebuild the valve body.

My tech thought I had been hitting the bong when I first told him the whine was caused by the O-ring. I think he is a believer now. Then again, I did get a "that's what happens when you bring your own parts" from his lead tech. He does not install customer parts but will accomodate me when I have to work overtime and cannot finish a repair I planned to do.

632 Regal
03-17-2006, 10:19 AM
what is MV-ATF? Who told you to use pennsoil fluid? This can be a bad thing.

zhandax
03-17-2006, 05:13 PM
Call me a cheap heathen. I have gone through 4 gallons of the stuff in the last month (2 oil changes). Why rag my ass about this when there are people who have tens of thousands of miles on their 5hp30's with the MV-ATF? I am late to this fight but as an observant newcomer, this stuff has been proven over time to NOT delaminate the clutches on the 5hp30. Once that is established, what else is your beef with the MV-ATF?