PDA

View Full Version : sort of OT: Borescopes

rob101
03-02-2006, 11:40 PM
Hello,

I recently seen a few borescopes around for sale on ebay, and I was thinking of buying one I figure it'd come in handy not just with the car but with other things too. Has anyone used borescopes to look at things on their car? Personally I couldn't think of anything cooler than being able to look inside certain parts of the engine and drivetrain without having to strip it down. What are other people's experiences recommendations?

Bill R.
03-02-2006, 11:46 PM
chunk of change to get a good one..One shop i worked at many years ago had a good one, it sat and gathered dust for the most part.

Hello,

I recently seen a few borescopes around for sale on ebay, and I was thinking of buying one I figure it'd come in handy not just with the car but with other things too. Has anyone used borescopes to look at things on their car? Personally I couldn't think of anything cooler than being able to look inside certain parts of the engine and drivetrain without having to strip it down. What are other people's experiences recommendations?

rob101
03-02-2006, 11:59 PM
yeah thats what i have heard, so i was looking to get a good one 2nd hand, who knows i might get lucky.

mattyb
03-03-2006, 12:00 AM
sounds great what is it?

rob101
03-03-2006, 12:01 AM
sounds great what is it?
fibre optic tube thingie, similar to an endoscope which they use to look at your innards

Bill R.
03-03-2006, 12:08 AM
one. All of them i've seen on ebay have gone for well over 700 USD. The only cheap one you can get isn't a flexible one which doesn't work so well with a motor like the m30 due to the plug location

fibre optic tube thingie, similar to an endoscope which they use to look at your innards

GoldenEagleFan
03-03-2006, 12:25 AM
I've used a professional grade one which cost well over 5K. Awesome tool as you pay for the diameter of the sheath which in turn is the flexibility. A good borescope will allow you to look at liners and determine wear and if there are any scratches. I've used the one from my previous employer to scope down my 73 Kawasaki triple and determine if I had any carbon "raking" problems. For less than $500 I wouldn't expect much unless the owner is desparate.

Dash01
03-03-2006, 01:18 AM
I've often wondered about using a borescope to see down into dark places while working on cars, etc., and have followed prices on eBay.

However, would not one of those lipstick size mini-cams, hooked up to a PC, work a lot better, and be a lot cheaper? You could watch on screen, and not have to peer through an eyepiece. Could more easily add light too.

Anybody tried this? Your thoughts?

rob101
03-03-2006, 02:04 AM
I've often wondered about using a borescope to see down into dark places while working on cars, etc., and have followed prices on eBay.

However, would not one of those lipstick size mini-cams, hooked up to a PC, work a lot better, and be a lot cheaper? You could watch on screen, and not have to peer through an eyepiece. Could more easily add light too.

Anybody tried this? Your thoughts?
hmmmmm sounds like a good idea, where are these lip stick cams? got anylinks? yeah i saw a snap on borescope for 1000 USD advertised on their catalogue looked pretty good actually.