PDA

View Full Version : 95 530i Fix it or Ditch it...

bmcdanold
03-02-2006, 07:41 PM
I'm at a bit of a crossroad. I have a 1995 530i with 230,000 miles on it (the Nikasil was replaced at 110,000) I have just learned that one of my headgasket s is leaking coolant into one of the cylinders. (lots of steamy white smoke out the back plus other rough running troubles)

The real problem is that A: I love the car... B: the body and interior are in mint shape! C: I'm the second owner and have all the service records (all done at the dealer I worked at) D: Almost everything else that goes bad has been replaced once or twice already (water pump, valve cover gaskets, mass air sensor etc, Nikasil engine)

So basically I have a car that has a near new suspension, a mint body, a mint interior and all the features work perfectly. But now I have a bad head gasket. The two big things that have never been replaced however are 1: Catalytic converters and 2: Auto Transmission / rear end etc)

I picked up an 89 325i to drive while i try and fix this one. I was a BMW mechanic for about a year, but I dont have much experience on the E34s, I mostly worked on E46's, E38's, E39's and X5's Can someone give me a heads up on what to expect when trying to replace this head gasket (and probably have the heads re-done as well) Or should I just move on to another car?

Oh and as far as my experience, I've only done a cylinder head once and that was on a 93 325i and I had lots of help that time. I mostly did easier stuff like window regulators, water pumps, catalytic converters, a few transmissions in and out. But not much deep engine work like this

E34 530
03-02-2006, 07:45 PM
I'm at a bit of a crossroad. I have a 1995 530i with 230,000 miles on it (the Nikasil was replaced at 110,000) I have just learned that one of my headgasket s is leaking coolant into one of the cylinders. (lots of steamy white smoke out the back plus other rough running troubles)

The real problem is that A: I love the car... B: the body and interior are in mint shape! C: I'm the second owner and have all the service records (all done at the dealer I worked at) D: Almost everything else that goes bad has been replaced once or twice already (water pump, valve cover gaskets, mass air sensor etc, Nikasil engine)

So basically I have a car that has a near new suspension, a mint body, a mint interior and all the features work perfectly. But now I have a bad head gasket. The two big things that have never been replaced however are 1: Catalytic converters and 2: Auto Transmission / rear end etc)

I picked up an 89 325i to drive while i try and fix this one. I was a BMW mechanic for about a year, but I dont have much experience on the E34s, I mostly worked on E46's, E38's, E39's and X5's Can someone give me a heads up on what to expect when trying to replace this head gasket (and probably have the heads re-done as well) Or should I just move on to another car?

I'd fix it, but I'm a tad bit bias. I'll take the gas tank if it's in good condition and you decide to part it out. ;)

bmcdanold
03-02-2006, 07:50 PM
I'd fix it, but I'm a tad bit bias. I'll take the gas tank if it's in good condition and you decide to part it out. ;)

Money is a bit tight which is why I'd like to do it myself, i just dont want to get in over my head on it. But I really hate to see the car go. It is my first BMW.. :( I have a friend (who still works at the BMW dealer) who collects tons of BMW parts, I'll see if he has a gas tank for cheap.

That brings back another memory. I had to replace a gas tank on an E38 750iL. Not too bad going in, but then it wouldn't accept gas.... back out, checked over, back in... still no go. New tank, same problem, in and out 3 more times.... owner finally just traded it in and bought a different car. The whole ventilation system was brand new on the car. Even one of the master tech's couldnt figure it out.

E34 530
03-02-2006, 07:59 PM
Money is a bit tight which is why I'd like to do it myself, i just dont want to get in over my head on it. But I really hate to see the car go. It is my first BMW.. :( I have a friend (who still works at the BMW dealer) who collects tons of BMW parts, I'll see if he has a gas tank for cheap.

That brings back another memory. I had to replace a gas tank on an E38 750iL. Not too bad going in, but then it wouldn't accept gas.... back out, checked over, back in... still no go. New tank, same problem, in and out 3 more times.... owner finally just traded it in and bought a different car. The whole ventilation system was brand new on the car. Even one of the master tech's couldnt figure it out.

That's weird that it wouldn't accept the fuel. Did they replace the fuel pump or the fuel lines or anything?? Thanks for checking with your friend, I really aprreciate it. My 530i was my first BMW, let alone car lol.

bmcdanold
03-02-2006, 08:16 PM
That's weird that it wouldn't accept the fuel. Did they replace the fuel pump or the fuel lines or anything?? Thanks for checking with your friend, I really aprreciate it. My 530i was my first BMW, let alone car lol.

I'm not sure what else it had done to it, but it came in with a complaint of fuel odor amongst other things. They had a huge crack in the bottom of their fuel tank. I suspect they wrecked and got it poorly repaired. I had to replace a destroyed motor mount in the same visit. It must have been hit hard to destroy the motor mount the way it did. I'll give my friend a call tommorow and try and let you know about the gas tank.

wingman
03-03-2006, 01:35 AM
I'd have a go at fixing it. If everything else is good you're in a good position. You've got another car so take it slow, buy the bits when you can and start. There is plenty of expertise on this site to help out if you hit a snag. I haven't been through the search section on this topic but I'm sure you'll find something. Let us know how you go.

Tiger
03-03-2006, 06:12 PM
Do diagnostic first! If you have access, get one of those coolant system CO detector... if positive, then you do have head gasket leak. Do a pressure test too... How fast are you losing coolant?

bmcdanold
03-03-2006, 06:40 PM
I can fill it up with coolant and about a day or two later its back low again. It does not overheat, but it is definitely losing coolant. I have a few very small coolant leaks that I can see, but i dont see any coolant reach the ground, the heat smells a bit like coolant, so i know i need a heater core, but if all the coolant was leaking out there, my feet would be wet, and the drain tube for the heater core box is just a little wet. Its going somewhere! I pulled the plugs and looked in the cylinders, one of them was significantly cleaner than the rest. I have a rough idle, and it will have trouble at high rpms. Also the check engine light will come on at high rpms. Sometimes after driving for a while it will not go over about 2000 rpms without trouble. The mechanic I took it to said he did a leak down check and found that one clean cylinder to be leaking. And at 230,000 miles, i guess i'm not suprised. Which brings up a different question... when i do this, should i replace the timing chain / tensioner?

Evan
03-03-2006, 06:54 PM
buy Artem's motor and swap it in

Erwin8r
03-03-2006, 07:13 PM
I can fill it up with coolant and about a day or two later its back low again. It does not overheat, but it is definitely losing coolant. I have a few very small coolant leaks that I can see, but i dont see any coolant reach the ground, the heat smells a bit like coolant, so i know i need a heater core, but if all the coolant was leaking out there, my feet would be wet, and the drain tube for the heater core box is just a little wet. Its going somewhere! I pulled the plugs and looked in the cylinders, one of them was significantly cleaner than the rest. I have a rough idle, and it will have trouble at high rpms. Also the check engine light will come on at high rpms. Sometimes after driving for a while it will not go over about 2000 rpms without trouble. The mechanic I took it to said he did a leak down check and found that one clean cylinder to be leaking. And at 230,000 miles, i guess i'm not suprised. Which brings up a different question... when i do this, should i replace the timing chain / tensioner?Yopu have a running car, and you love your E34, so your path is obvious: as was mentioned above, take your time, get your parts, and proceed carefully. It is not an overwhelming job....

Tiger
03-04-2006, 10:46 AM
YES... replace the timing chain and tensioner... it is already at end of life.

bmcdanold
03-06-2006, 09:50 AM
Ok, well i guess its been decided to go ahead with it. Maybe i'll try and document it with pictures for the benefit of others.

Oh and E34 530... I checked with my friend on the gas tank, he said he didnt have any E34s that were total parts cars right now. Lots of E30s, E32s, E36s and some older ones (3 1984 524td's...) But he said if he saw one he'd let me know.

Alexlind123
03-06-2006, 10:09 AM
Ok, well i guess its been decided to go ahead with it. Maybe i'll try and document it with pictures for the benefit of others.

Oh and E34 530... I checked with my friend on the gas tank, he said he didnt have any E34s that were total parts cars right now. Lots of E30s, E32s, E36s and some older ones (3 1984 524td's...) But he said if he saw one he'd let me know.

A bodyman came to my house after painting my brothers car for some reason, and he noticed my e34 and said he liked the body style very well. He said he had seen quite a few of them at his shop. I think this may be because people are more willing to pay to have e34s fixed than other cars.

bmcdanold
03-11-2006, 07:57 AM
I knew chains lasted a long time, but 230,000 miles is a long time. Although, I cant remember, do they put a new one on when the block is replaced for the Nikasil problem? That was done at 110,000 miles.

bmcdanold
03-11-2006, 07:58 AM
Wasnt that a M60B40 ? I thought if you did that you also needed to swap out the transmission and DME.

bmcdanold
03-11-2006, 08:00 AM
I suppose could take the M20 out of my 325i and make my 530 a 525i :|