PDA

View Full Version : Recd new Motive pressure bleeder today. Screwed up already!

Gene in NC
03-02-2006, 07:09 PM
Recd new Motive pressure bleeder today. Screwed up already! No instruction in the box so I did what seemed natural as I was distracted by friend stopping by.

Tested for air leaks, OK.

Siphon out old fluid.

Forgot to refill MB resovoir before attaching bleeder.

Didn't get cap tight. Pint of fluid on floor.

Pump to 20 psi and crack RR bleeder. Very slow drool. No pressure.

Read Bentley. Pump pedal 12 times. Very little pedal movement. Crack LR bleeder. Very slow drool. Pump and back to RR bleeder. Very slow drool.

Am I screwed or just stupid? I know, both. But I need to get this sucker straight. Just finished thrust arms. Need brakes and ready for the ROAD.

Gene in NC
03-02-2006, 11:23 PM
OK. I had read instructions. Did every thing right. Still drools but my neighbor who tracks an M3 and uses a home built pressure bleeder came down. Mine is OK. His drools too.

Maybe it is effective, and doesn't require a "pumper", but it is not nearly as satisfying as a "pumped' bleed.

Real caliper bleed is when you replace pads with shims (could be old worn out pads) and exercise the calipers by braking pressure, followed by manual compression of the piston with the bleed screw open, as in installing new pads. Do this a couple of times and the entire caliper bore will be clean with fresh fluid.

At a minimum, do this when changing pads. Never force piston back into the caliper w/o first opening tthe bleed screw. This avoids pushing crud back into the master.

632 Regal
03-02-2006, 11:50 PM
everything good to go? any ABS lights? brakes work right?

Gene in NC
03-03-2006, 09:03 AM
Brake status unknown until I get it off the stands following torqueing of thrust arm bolts. Will report.

ryan roopnarine
03-03-2006, 09:09 AM
i don't have a pressure bleeder (i just use the cheap 1 man bleeder), but are you sure you didn't suck air when you forgot to refill the resivoir (sp)? i can fill the pill bottle sized bleeder by just leaving the bleeder screw open for 10 to 15 minutes, no pumping at all.

Gene in NC
03-05-2006, 03:15 AM
Ryan, not according to the Motive instructions, but I had same suspicions. However #1, no air from the bleed screws.

However #2, I got tired of fluid drooling from the open bleed screws, so on the LF I added a little brake pressure to "assist". Worked fine but have not tested brakes for air that may have gotten into system. Theory/hope was that air/hydraulic pressure of flusher on the MC wuld prevent air draw back into the caliper. If it worked, great, if not I'll just bleed for air.

Interesting that never got to clear fluid on LF. Amber at best. Suggests that flush w/o exercising the MC may be insufficient.