PDA

View Full Version : In our cars, is ABS disabled when you remove the tire spare or pull handbrake?

Anton CH.
03-17-2004, 08:17 PM
Subject.

Jeff N.
03-17-2004, 09:03 PM
Huh? Why would that happen? Remove the spare and the ABS quits? No way.

If you pull the handbrake, the rears will skid. The ABS system only effects the hydraulic system, not the cable system with handbrake.

winfred
03-17-2004, 09:05 PM
ditto

Anton CH.
03-18-2004, 12:06 AM
I've read that on some cars theres a system that once you remove the spare, there is a sensor which tells the abs to stop working. So that the brakes work more efficently. And regarding the handbrake issue, I know that on some Integras you can disable abs by putting the handbrake up one notch.

kiNGMak
03-18-2004, 02:43 AM
Uhmm.. BMW makes Integras!?!?! Whoa what a mind blower..

Paul in NZ
03-18-2004, 02:46 AM
is that the ABS is disabled because if a space saver spare is in use it gives erronous readings

Anton CH.
03-18-2004, 03:51 AM
Who said anything about BMW producing Integras?

It would make sense to disable ABS when running on spares. However, I was hoping for a way to disable ABS without pulling fuses/modules. There is a purpose for me in doing this.

Unregistered
03-18-2004, 06:27 AM
It would make sense to disable ABS when running on spares.

Why?

bahnstormer
03-18-2004, 09:10 AM
in an E34 the spare has absolutely no electronic contacts...its just screwed in
pull the fuse

Unregistered
03-18-2004, 10:06 AM
In most cases when you go up one click on cars and trucks, it turns off the day time running lights.

tcm

ryan roopnarine
03-18-2004, 10:13 AM
99 ford taurus manual specifically says that once the emergency brake is engaged, ABS is deactivated regardless of whether or not the light is on....i believe this is the case for several other ford vehicles.

Bill R.
03-18-2004, 10:22 AM
abs by pulling the emergency brake up one or 2 clicks and driving for fifty feet or so, this was intended for circumstances where you don't want abs to function such as dirt roads, where you can actually stop quicker without abs
I don't know if honda still does this or not, but the bmw system doesn't work that way. Also anytime you put a smaller diameter space saver tire on the abs will automatically disable after you drive, it will detect the different rates of rotation on each wheel and trigger the abs fault right away..Unless you're space saver is pretty close to the same diameter.

99 ford taurus manual specifically says that once the emergency brake is engaged, ABS is deactivated regardless of whether or not the light is on....i believe this is the case for several other ford vehicles.