PDA

View Full Version : head gasket replacement cost

RAZR
03-02-2006, 02:16 PM
I drive a 535i, 89 model with 140000 miles and for about two months I've been noticing an oil leak on the engine block. If it turns out to be the headgasket can anyone tell how much does a repair shop usually charge for that?
What if I'll decide to replace it myself? What should I expect labor wise?
Thanks everyone.

Hector
03-02-2006, 03:07 PM
This will probably give you a sense as to what your up against. If nada, then search the archives. There are tons of info...

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=6123&highlight=Head+gasket+replacement+cost

bfd
03-02-2006, 03:14 PM
I drive a 535i, 89 model with 140000 miles and for about two months I've been noticing an oil leak on the engine block. If it turns out to be the headgasket can anyone tell how much does a repair shop usually charge for that?
Thanks everyone.

It varies. If you go to a BMW specialty shop, i.e., a shop that works only on BMWs, expect to pay more. My 90 535i, 5 speed, 105K miles blew a headgasket at about 97K miles.

I went to a BMW specialty, boutique shop and they wanted $1800. And, that was assuming there was nothing wrong with the head.

A friend of mine owns a shop that works on mainly Japanese cars. However, his head mechanic use to own a shop that worked *only* on BMWs. The guy is "factory-trained" and quoted me a price of $1100. I can say that ther was nothing wrong with my head and he does EXCELLENT work!

IF you DIY, expect parts to be in what $350-500 range? Good Luck!

athflying79
03-02-2006, 04:02 PM
Thanks everyone.

What makes you think it is a headgasket?? If you search "oil m30" you'll find lots of posts about oil leaks that seem to be one thing and end up being something else entirely. It only takes a small leak to make a big mess.

zygoteer
03-02-2006, 07:24 PM
I did my own 535 head gasket last summer for less than £180 using BMW dealer parts etc. included most gaskets oil, coolant and injector seals (they can effectively 'dry-out' during a strip over a few days, and then leak later).
I guess thats about US$ 310.

If I had to do similar again I would maybe use some "GSF" parts here in UK (http://www.gsfcarparts.com/), and not BMW dealer parts.

At the same time I also lock wired the banjo bolts - so cheap peace of mind as well.

RAZR
03-03-2006, 01:13 PM
What makes you think it is a headgasket?? If you search "oil m30" you'll find lots of posts about oil leaks that seem to be one thing and end up being something else entirely. It only takes a small leak to make a big mess.
Thanks