PDA

View Full Version : Door lock problem

Jay 535i
03-02-2006, 01:30 PM
Something went wacky with my door locks last night, and now I can't turn the key at all in the driver's door lock cylinder. The passenger's side works fine and does operate the car's locks.

What's wrong?

ArtemLepilov
03-02-2006, 01:42 PM
Broken/Worn down lock cylinder?

My driver's side has gotten pretty stiff to move as well.

I would say you need to try oiling the cylinder or something along those lines.

Jay 535i
03-02-2006, 02:06 PM
Nah, it worked perfectly until something strange happened.

For a short while, I could turn the key to lock the car and it would unlock itself immediately. But it's not doing that anymore.

The driver's door lock cylinder isn't jammed. It has locked itself. It's some kind of 'feature', I'm sure.

Bill R.
03-02-2006, 02:22 PM
pic of a bmw doorlock to show you. The sheaves,leafs or tumblers that you see in my hot little hand here all movin in and out according to the cuts in the key. When one of these sheaves gets bent or worn out then the lock won't turn. We mechanics have a technical term for it. We call if F***ed up. You usually end up having to take the lock apart and
A. removing the damaged or offending leaf or
B. Call Patrick at Bma and have him send you a new key and tumbler assy. matched to your key code.
http://www.bimmernut.com/%7Ebillr/images2/Doorlock%20copy.jpg

EDIT, disregard the shitbox subaru in the background that i'm working on today.

Nah, it worked perfectly until something strange happened.

For a short while, I could turn the key to lock the car and it would unlock itself immediately. But it's not doing that anymore.

The driver's door lock cylinder isn't jammed. It has locked itself. It's some kind of 'feature', I'm sure.

Jay 535i
03-02-2006, 05:13 PM
Thanks so much for taking the time to post that pic, Bill.

Can I buy a tumbler matched to my existing key, or do I have to replace all the locks on the car now?

athflying79
03-02-2006, 07:50 PM
Not meaning to totally hijack the thread, but it's somewhat kinda sorta related.

I have noticed in the ignition that if I turn the car off and try to restart without first pulling out the key, I can't. It doesn't feel like something totally locks to keep me from doing it, but there is enough resistance it feels like I would really screw something up if I tried to hard. Lately when I pull the key out of the ignition, the little cover or whatever it is doesn't always snap into place and the car thinks the key is still in the ignition. Usually putting the key back in and pulling it out resolves the problem.

I would also like to know if it's possible to replace just the ignition and drivers side lock...all others work flawlessly.

Jay 535i
03-02-2006, 08:32 PM
Hey, here's a thought. Could I swap the driver's and passenger's side lock cylinders? I never put the key in the passenger side anyway.

ArtemLepilov
03-02-2006, 08:39 PM
Hey, here's a thought. Could I swap the driver's and passenger's side lock cylinders? I never put the key in the passenger side anyway.

Dont see why not, except for a lot of work... Get a remote door opener while yore at it.. I know i will since i read your thread. :)

-Artem

PS - the locking mechanism for a starter has some sort of a safety thing - thats why it wont turn after you start it - all cars have it.

Bill R.
03-02-2006, 08:45 PM
want to fix it cheaply you can take it apart and remove the leaf thats damaged or bent. Your key will then be short one leaf but for the most part it will have most of them to require it to work. Sorry after looking at the lock again you have to leave out 2 leafs. There's 12 total so its still enough to require a key to open if you leave out 2

Jay 535i
03-02-2006, 08:46 PM
Dont see why not, except for a lot of work... Get a remote door opener while yore at it.. I know i will since i read your thread. :)

Well, the work's a sunk cost anyway. How hard is it to reinstall one of those things?

If I had keyless entry I wouldn't give a crap about the lock cylinder.

shogun
03-02-2006, 09:19 PM
a link from my website below
http://evansweb.info/articles/2003/01/18/door-lock-barrel-replacement

Jay 535i
03-02-2006, 09:27 PM
a link from my website below
http://evansweb.info/articles/2003/01/18/door-lock-barrel-replacement

Cheers. What a major pain.

Bill R.
03-02-2006, 11:54 PM
remove the lock and handle assy from the door. And like i said you can just remove the bad leaf and leave it out.

Cheers. What a major pain.

632 Regal
03-03-2006, 12:00 AM
if it dont start the first time, back the key til it clicks then you can restart it instead of completely removing the key.

Not meaning to totally hijack the thread, but it's somewhat kinda sorta related.

I have noticed in the ignition that if I turn the car off and try to restart without first pulling out the key, I can't. It doesn't feel like something totally locks to keep me from doing it, but there is enough resistance it feels like I would really screw something up if I tried to hard. Lately when I pull the key out of the ignition, the little cover or whatever it is doesn't always snap into place and the car thinks the key is still in the ignition. Usually putting the key back in and pulling it out resolves the problem.

I would also like to know if it's possible to replace just the ignition and drivers side lock...all others work flawlessly.

Qube
03-03-2006, 12:38 AM
Are you sure it's not frozen from our weather these couple of days? :) I keep a heatgun in the car just for that.

angrypancake
03-03-2006, 12:39 AM
but we have that heat warmer thingy for frozen locks!

Qube
03-03-2006, 12:42 AM
Doesn't work very well if the cylinder doesn't turn lol!

athflying79
03-03-2006, 08:41 AM
if it dont start the first time, back the key til it clicks then you can restart it instead of completely removing the key.

Doesn't work in mine. It feels like it wants to click, but just doesn't. I have to actually pull the key out. A month or two ago I lubed her with some graphite lock lube and it made the lock smoother and more precise feeling...but still have the above problems.

Jay 535i
03-03-2006, 12:57 PM
Are you sure it's not frozen from our weather these couple of days? :) I keep a heatgun in the car just for that.

Yeah, because it worked one minute and not the next.

Qube, I don't think the barrel has to turn to activate the lock de-icer. You just lift the door handle to turn it on, AFAIK.