PDA

View Full Version : 1991 525i electrical question, please help >>

jsdp
03-02-2006, 09:30 AM
During the past 2-3 weeks, the following problems surfaced:

1)My radio code began to be required intermittantly whenever I would start the car in the morning & evening. Now always.
2) My clock began to lose time (it would lose hours overnight).
3) My doorlocks would sometimes not work. I was locked out one day (didn't know about mechanical override), and then the next morning they worked.

Over the past weekend I bought a new battery since the previous one was about 5 years old, assuming that that may fix the problems. It actually did for about 2 days, until all these problems above began again. I checked whether the battery was charging after 3 days of driving, and it is, therefore I am assuming that the alternator is fine.

I have no idea how the car runs fine, but these above problems are all related? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for reading.

Bill R.
03-02-2006, 09:44 AM
area on fusible links, your problem is going to be a cracked fusble link. Here's Bruno's page (http://www.bmwe34.net/E34main/Maintenance/Electrical/Fusible_link.htm)

During the past 2-3 weeks, the following problems surfaced:

1)My radio code began to be required intermittantly whenever I would start the car in the morning & evening. Now always.
2) My clock began to lose time (it would lose hours overnight).
3) My doorlocks would sometimes not work. I was locked out one day (didn't know about mechanical override), and then the next morning they worked.

Over the past weekend I bought a new battery since the previous one was about 5 years old, assuming that that may fix the problems. It actually did for about 2 days, until all these problems above began again. I check whether the battery was charging after 3 days of driving, and it is, therefore I am assuming that the alternator is fine.

I have no idea how the car runs fine, but these above problems are all realted? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for reading.

jsdp
03-02-2006, 10:05 AM
Thanks Bill R. I will check that fuseable link. Any other recommendations if that appears ok?

Bill R.
03-02-2006, 10:07 AM

Thanks Bill R. I will check that fuseable link. Any other recommendations if that appears ok?

jsdp
03-02-2006, 08:56 PM

Thank you very much Bill R. You were exactly right. The fuseable link was cracked, so I will hopefully get a replacement tomorrow. You have just made my weekend !!! :) Thanks again.