PDA

View Full Version : 84 325is clutch replacement

rot535i
03-02-2006, 02:01 AM
What would you expect to pay for a 1986 325is that needs a clutch. So far all I know is it a black 2 door with about 75,000 mi and in good cond. They were quoted $800.00 to do the clutch and may decide to sell it instead. Waiting for more info on the car. Is it difficult to do the clutch?

Turbo Ready
03-05-2006, 08:07 PM
The e30 clutch is a bit of a pain especially if you are not doing it on a hoist.

For starters:

1. Disconnect battery. Jack car up and mount it about 18" high on jack stands. You have to remove the driveshaft as a whole unit from gearbox to diff, do NOT separate the drive shaft at all.

2. It's not necessary but easier if you remove the shifter. There is a U shape clip which is real PITA to remove but it makes dropping the gear box easier.

3. You have to drop the gear box mount and support bracket

4. Slack the engine mounts until the engine valve cover is relatively close or touching the firewall, you will need all the drop you can get.

5. Disconnect the reverse light switch connection from inside the car after removing the shift boot and dust covers.

6. You need very long extensions 36" in length if possible to reach 3 different sizes of inverted torx bolts, I think number 10, 12 and 13. Sometimes these can be stuck and a real pain to get off, water goes in and corrodes the bolt shoulder stuck. I had to use the impact wrench on a few.

7. Remove Starter, a bit of a pain as it uses bolts and nuts and is mounted onto the bell housing.

8. Remove Slave Clutch cylinder from bell housing.

9. Remove all torx bolts, I think 12 in all and one really important 10mm bolt, which is often covered with dirt and overlooked on the right side of the GB, holding a dust plate.

10. Support gearbox and pull straight backwards.

11. Unbolt clutch assembly, put a screw driver into the input shaft hole in the pressure plate to prevent the clutch plate from hitting you when you pull the assembly off.

12. Replace new clutch assembly, line up the input shaft with the pressure plate.

13. Do the reverse to install the gearbox.

This is as much as I can remember, don't think I am missing anything, if I did you will find it :p

Hope this helps.

wavewuver
03-15-2006, 06:46 PM
Just had my 1995 325i clutch done at 150K. Replaced all of the obvious parts plus refinished the flywheel ((( and did the flex disk too (guibo))). Total cost was $1,100 in CT.

Turbo Ready
03-15-2006, 07:41 PM
Replace the clutch with OEM or aftermarket? I find that a bit pricy for an e36.