PDA

View Full Version : Main rear output seal M50 reaplcement

ArtemLepilov
03-02-2006, 01:51 AM
Hello, I will need to replace my rear output seal on my 1991 BMW 525I with a non-Vanos M50 motor. Can someone direct me to or write a procedure to how to do that?

I have an Auto GM tranny BTW...

Thank you, Artem

ArtemLepilov
03-02-2006, 09:28 AM
oh cmooon... someone's got to know how to do it :)

winfred
03-02-2006, 09:35 AM
it's varly straight forward, remove exhaust, remove shield above exhaust, unbolt driveshaft from back of tranny and tie off to side, unhook shifter cable/wiring to tranny and lower the back of the tranny by removing the mounts, unbolt torque converter, unbolt tranny and remove, unbolt flywheel and pry out seal, clean seal area, reinstall everything. takes a couple hours if you know what you are doing and have a lift, could take a weekend on jack stands and little experence, about the onlything you can really screw up is not making sure the converter is fully installed in the tranny, sometimes it takes some playing with to get it fully engauged, if you don't get it all of the way in and force it in by bolting the tranny back to the motor you can destroy the transmition, seen it done but it takes some force

Bill R.
03-02-2006, 09:36 AM
step1 disconnect battery, step 2 remove exhaust, step 3 remove transmission
step4 unbolt driveplate, step5 remove rear seal and change,step 6 reassemble.

Seriously Artem, its a fairly long process and is written up in any number of manuals from the bentley's,haynes,chilton,mitchell. If you have any specifics you want to ask about i'm sure that someone can help.

oh cmooon... someone's got to know how to do it :)

632 Regal
03-02-2006, 09:57 AM
rear output shaft....is he talking about the transmission seal?

Bill R.
03-02-2006, 10:01 AM
the rear main seal on the engine.

rear output shaft....is he talking about the transmission seal?

ArtemLepilov
03-02-2006, 01:38 PM
Well, I never done that before, so I thought there was something more to it than just a straightforward replacement. I just dont know the mechanics behind a leak (what would cause it), so I thought I had to do some sort of an extensive cleaning and/or repair of something else besides replaceing a seal.

PS. - I was talking about the main output seal on the engine.

-Thank you all, Artem

Jon K
03-02-2006, 02:49 PM
I am going to be doing ALL seals on the motor... but it's going to be outside of the car :)

ArtemLepilov
03-02-2006, 02:56 PM
I am going to be doing ALL seals on the motor... but it's going to be outside of the car :)

DYNO THAT CAR!!!!! :p

Jon K
03-02-2006, 02:59 PM
When New Motor Is Innnnn!!!!!111one

Dave M
03-02-2006, 06:54 PM

like candy from a baby.......

and you won't dent your noggin ;)

Dave M

Dave M
03-02-2006, 07:00 PM
it's varly straight forward, remove exhaust, remove shield above exhaust, unbolt driveshaft from back of tranny and tie off to side, unhook shifter cable/wiring to tranny and lower the back of the tranny by removing the mounts, unbolt torque converter, unbolt tranny and remove, unbolt flywheel and pry out seal, clean seal area, reinstall everything. takes a couple hours if you know what you are doing and have a lift, could take a weekend on jack stands and little experence, about the onlything you can really screw up is not making sure the converter is fully installed in the tranny, sometimes it takes some playing with to get it fully engauged, if you don't get it all of the way in and force it in by bolting the tranny back to the motor you can destroy the transmition, seen it done but it takes some force

On my M50, the seal is in a removable aluminum housing which bolts to the block (gasket between the housing and the block - make sure to buy the gasket as well). This allows you to replace the seal on a work bench. Easier than prying it out under the car.

Good luck whatever you do,

Dave M

ArtemLepilov
03-02-2006, 07:09 PM
On my M50, the seal is in a removable aluminum housing which bolts to the block (gasket between the housing and the block - make sure to buy the gasket as well). This allows you to replace the seal on a work bench. Easier than prying it out under the car.

Good luck whatever you do,

Dave M

I would have to do it under the car, in any case - It shouldnt be that hard. I will need to drop the auto tranny though - that is kinda messy (with the trans cooling lines and all...) Shouldnt be that hard to do though. Do you happen to have any pictures from when you did the output seal? - Just wondering what I may have to deal with.

winfred
03-02-2006, 09:02 PM
i wouldn't mess with the housing as it may take a chunk out of the oil pan gasket when you pull the housing, it's not that hard to screwdriver the old seal out and knock a new seal in flush with the housing

Dave M
03-03-2006, 07:37 AM
i wouldn't mess with the housing as it may take a chunk out of the oil pan gasket when you pull the housing, it's not that hard to screwdriver the old seal out and knock a new seal in flush with the housing

Yeah, forgot about the fact that it is necessary to slightly lower the oil pan (loosen some bolts) to remove the housing. Tahnks for the reminder Winfred.

Dave M