PDA

View Full Version : Need some help guys

JustinM
03-17-2004, 04:56 PM
This started two days ago.When i start the car in the morning it has a bad idle untill i give a quick little tap on the gas and then it stops ..Any words of BMW wisdom would help .My warm idle also has a tiny bit of movement and a lttle movement..not much just little quiver i can feel in the car at idle..

632 Regal
03-17-2004, 05:40 PM
This started two days ago.When i start the car in the morning it has a bad idle untill i give a quick little tap on the gas and then it stops ..Any words of BMW wisdom would help .My warm idle also has a tiny bit of movement and a lttle movement..not much just little quiver i can feel in the car at idle..

JustinM
03-17-2004, 06:39 PM
about a week ago i did a full tune up

632 Regal
03-17-2004, 06:44 PM
when did this problem start happening? Did you change the fuel filters? Ummm what car maybe someone can help here.

JustinM
03-17-2004, 06:51 PM
started two days ago on my 1992 525i ,and yes i changed the fuel filter,plugs, air filter,etc....

Tiger
03-17-2004, 06:54 PM
What kind of plugs did you use?

Paul in NZ
03-17-2004, 06:59 PM
i dont know what changed but b4 the ins the idle was slightly uneven but afterwards was terrible.swapped the icv which improved it a lot but stillnot like b4.Cleaned original icv and reinstalled and all was sweet?????Maybe it may be things "settling" down after tune???The DME is slightly adaptive

JustinM
03-17-2004, 07:05 PM
i used the oem NGK from the dealer.

Unregistered
03-17-2004, 07:29 PM
i used the oem NGK from the dealer.

Hmmm, didn't think NGK were OEM, but no matter.

Is the idle speed right for cold idle?

BigD
03-17-2004, 07:38 PM
Your idle control valve might be sticking. It's a black cylinder that plugs into the big air hose between the air flow meter and the throttle body. It's just a little motor that turns a metal disc which has a cutout in it. There is an air hose that connects to it from the bottom which plugs into the intake manifold. By positioning this cutout, it either closes, or opens a passage to let a specific amount of air to bypass the throttle body when it is closed at idle. By blipping the throttle you would be forcing the computer to close it, and then open again (unsticking it).

Or your throttle position switch at idle might be faulty. Either the sensor itself - just a switch, or the butterfly is so heavy the spring isn't strong enough to press it all the way down, is your throttle heavy? THis happened on my E28.

But since you're saying there is some degradation in idle in general, it sounds like the ICV. You may be able to clean it. Although I've heard mixed reviews about this. The valve is really easy to remove, then you just spray some throttle body cleaner and/or WD40 to clean and lube it up. But I've heard people say that this might screw it up. I've done it. Didn't solve my problem at the time, but didn't hurt anything, and it's been a while since. Either way worth a shot, since if it doesn't work you'll need a new one anyway if that's the problem. Not a cheap bit unfortunately.

JustinM
03-17-2004, 08:25 PM
ill give it a shot by cleaning it before replacing it ..thanks guys I LOVE THIS BOARD