PDA

View Full Version : Trans program, no drive, symptoms not found in search!!

Montreal525
03-01-2006, 09:00 PM
Hi everybody... Newbie on this board...

Here are some specs: 1995 525 automatic with 151000km on it, 3rd owner, driven and loved by all of them but never abused...

I experienced the dreaded trans program rite of passage this week, with the added joy of the limp mode.... My tranny was acting funny (hard shifts, long shifts...) for the last week but we've been having severe cold weather (-20c and under) so I thought it was the cold because it would be OK once warmed up.I searched all the forums I could find and checked all I could on the car with my mechanic. He's my brother-in-law so I assume he won't screw me :D . I have the Bentley manual plus now countless prints from various threads and forums. I consider myself mechanicaly inclined but not a pro, ie I can understand and do most of it most of the time, an average gearhead I guess :)

Here's the deal:

--Everything electronic checks out: wiring, power, alt, battery, no fault code (1444), connections, switches, etc.

--Fluid was plenty but smelled burnt so it was changed, no dice..

--Where I am at a loss is that a lot of people here turn off the car, wait a bit, start again and they are fine, for a while... If I turn off my car, wait and restart, the trans program message is off. I have reverse, neutral is OK but I get nothing on D321. Manual mode is no good either. It won't engage. I put some gas and around 4000rpm, Bing on the dash, message comes on so does limp mode and 3rd gear. Turn the car off, restart and same thing over and over...

According to my B-I-L, the speed sensor checks out and we're down to opening up and changing the solenoids valves but in his opinion, the tranny is toast...

I am seeking your opinion to know if I should start to cry now or if there is hope... I'm strating to beleive that since I get nada after a restart from the tranny that it is indeed toast.

TIA

Jeff

Kalevera
03-02-2006, 01:11 AM
--Fluid was plenty but smelled burnt so it was changed, no dice..

That would be a good indication of physical damage. The hydramatics are bad transmissions and people don't change the fluid. They seem to like to remachine various drums. Hard parts are readily available and inexpensive, but you're going to pay someone who knows what they're doing three grand to rebuild it, so it's cheaper just to find a junkyard unit with clean fluid. If you want to rebuild your existing unit, get someone who knows what they're doing. Even Aamco can mess up a 4l30e.

--Where I am at a loss is that a lot of people here turn off the car, wait a bit, start again and they are fine, for a while... If I turn off my car, wait and restart, the trans program message is off. I have reverse, neutral is OK but I get nothing on D321. Manual mode is no good either. It won't engage. I put some gas and around 4000rpm, Bing on the dash, message comes on so does limp mode and 3rd gear. Turn the car off, restart and same thing over and over...

The car likely doesn't have an electrical problem. Usually when these cars say no, they mean no. Fighting with it only makes it worse.

According to my B-I-L, the speed sensor checks out and we're down to opening up and changing the solenoids valves but in his opinion, the tranny is toast...

That is probably a waste of time. Replace the trans with a junk yard unit and be done with it. Then service the thing every 15 to 25k.

best, whit

SharkmanBMW
03-02-2006, 01:18 AM
there is a tranny place on gouin blvd in roxboro, sako is the owner.... I forget the name

Check the yellow pages.

or you could just buy my 540 and be really happy!

Tiger
03-02-2006, 10:51 AM
Drop the pan and see if you find any deposits... like excessive metal shavings or lots of clutch materials... If not, you might be able to get away with just rebuilding the valve body.

How bad was the fluid burnt? Very strong? If so, then I am afraid the clutch packs are burnt. Here's the thing... if the temperature is subzero, the tranny fluid will not flow properly... thereby starving the clutch packs and tranny is a toast. That is why in the extreme conditions, you need cold package which warms up the engine and tranny before you start and drive.

Montreal525
03-02-2006, 10:18 PM
Thanks for the input... Thanks Sharkman, I'll look it up...

Drop the pan and see if you find any deposits... like excessive metal shavings or lots of clutch materials... If not, you might be able to get away with just rebuilding the valve body.

How bad was the fluid burnt? Very strong? If so, then I am afraid the clutch packs are burnt. Here's the thing... if the temperature is subzero, the tranny fluid will not flow properly... thereby starving the clutch packs and tranny is a toast. That is why in the extreme conditions, you need cold package which warms up the engine and tranny before you start and drive.

We will open it and see... As for the fluid, you could smell it was burnt from 10 feet away...:( not good......

Jeff