PDA

View Full Version : I vote to make this board require login to post (not view)

BigD
03-17-2004, 03:59 PM
We don't need trolls stirring up trouble like the one in the thread about the broken ignition switch.

Hector
03-17-2004, 04:06 PM
done by any troll using an alias.

We don't need trolls stirring up trouble like the one in the thread about the broken ignition switch.

BigD
03-17-2004, 04:10 PM
Yeah, but it takes more work. And aliases can always be deleted by the moderators, making it even MORE work. I basically want to make it as hard as possible. Like Chris Rock says, we don't need to get rid of the guns, we need to make each bullet cost $10,000. a) no senseless violence b) no innocent by standers "I would shoot you right now...if I could afford it! I'm gonna go get a second mortgage, another job, and then you're a dead man!" "He musta really done somethin', they put $50,000 worth of bullets in his ass!"

done by any troll using an alias.

Hector
03-17-2004, 04:14 PM
N/A

Yeah, but it takes more work. And aliases can always be deleted by the moderators, making it even MORE work. I basically want to make it as hard as possible. Like Chris Rock says, we don't need to get rid of the guns, we need to make each bullet cost $10,000. a) no senseless violence b) no innocent by standers "I would shoot you right now...if I could afford it! I'm gonna go get a second mortgage, another job, and then you're a dead man!" "He musta really done somethin', they put $50,000 worth of bullets in his ass!"

Bimmer Nut Ed
03-17-2004, 04:18 PM
FYI

The unregistered person in the post you're talking about never posted here before by that IP address, or anything even close. Very interesting.

I'm talking about the "Its called learning people" post.

This forum gives me lots of options to track people down, and I supose people should know that, so they "play nice".

BigD
03-17-2004, 07:30 PM
Hmm. Probably just posting remotely, through a different firewall.

Is this possible? To make login mandatory for posting?

FYI

The unregistered person in the post you're talking about never posted here before by that IP address, or anything even close. Very interesting.

I'm talking about the "Its called learning people" post.

This forum gives me lots of options to track people down, and I supose people should know that, so they "play nice".

Mitch90535im
03-17-2004, 07:39 PM
Can't it be set to stay "logged in whenever on this computer" or whatever?

BigD
03-17-2004, 07:42 PM
As long as your browser has cookies enabled, this is done by default. The problem comes up for people who use public computers and don't want anything personal to remain behind. So they will be forced to log in. But only to post, so hopefully that won't be a great inconvenience.

Can't it be set to stay "logged in whenever on this computer" or whatever?

Bimmer Nut Ed
03-17-2004, 07:43 PM
Yes it is possible. I can set it so in the options. But I hesitate to do it, because when I implemented the new board, some people did not like it. I think it's too much change at one time. Besides, I can always delete posts, and there is a notify Moderator link on each post. It actually says "Report Bad Post" on the Blue bar to the right of the post number.

It really is pretty rare that we see this kind of thing on our board.

Hmm. Probably just posting remotely, through a different firewall.

Is this possible? To make login mandatory for posting?

gordon
03-17-2004, 08:20 PM
Logging in just adds another "pia" for anyone looking for a good forum on their favourite car... i have a few sites that i have to remember what the hell i used as a password... and if the one i try doesn't work... i just don't go there anymore.
I think we have lost a few "good men" since the change in format...would hate to lose any more!!!!!!

Unregistered
03-17-2004, 08:34 PM
Well, remember, I've tried to log in multiple times (being a member with a number and all) and I'm not recognized! So I'm posting as "unregistered" and not accumulating any credit toward being a "Big Time Poster". Which means nothing to me. I'm saying that I'll have to leave the board (after 4+ years of engagement) if I can't post. I haven't found the post which engendered this thought yet but but let's make sure that a reaction of this magnitude is the appropriate response to whatever happened. Thanks,

Paul

632 Regal
03-17-2004, 08:48 PM
As long as your browser has cookies enabled, this is done by default. The problem comes up for people who use public computers and don't want anything personal to remain behind. So they will be forced to log in. But only to post, so hopefully that won't be a great inconvenience.

winfred
03-17-2004, 08:53 PM
i just never log out

George M
03-17-2004, 09:02 PM
completely agree with Ed, Gordon and Paul. In Paul's words...the punishment doesn't fit the crime. Personally I don't mind either way whether we must sign in or not but best to leave it alone because it is very rare that an unregistered guest causes a stir and he will only create a reaction if you let him. Personally I wasn't offended by what he said...the premise of the thread was silly....which may have been in jest anyway.
George