PDA

View Full Version : Painted Rims

clhorton
03-01-2006, 07:45 AM
Do any of you guys know of a safe paint remover that can be used on the stock basketweaves. When I bought my car the previous owner had painted the wheels white to match the car. It looks like an at home job was done on them and the paint is chipping off in some areas to reveal a still perfect surface to the wheel. Basically I just don't want my car to look ghetto anymore and want this fixed any suggestions?

1995 525i
03-01-2006, 08:35 AM
Do any of you guys know of a safe paint remover that can be used on the stock basketweaves. When I bought my car the previous owner had painted the wheels white to match the car. It looks like an at home job was done on them and the paint is chipping off in some areas to reveal a still perfect surface to the wheel. Basically I just don't want my car to look ghetto anymore and want this fixed any suggestions?

Not sure...perhaps a pressure washer would help but you would need to loosen the paint on the wheel first without damaging the original finish. Does the paint come off easily to the touch?

Kobe Diesel
03-01-2006, 01:09 PM
Spray WD-40 on there and let it sit. That might work into the paint coat.
Then press wash as suggested.

Ive been considering painting my basketweaves black to contrast the white body.

wingman
03-01-2006, 05:20 PM
Whatever you do don't use an abrasive as once the clear coat is off the original finish brake dust and everything else will get under the powder coating (sorry if you already know this). Hopefully the previous owner just sprayed right over the top rather than sanding back or etching first. Good luck.

632 Regal
03-01-2006, 05:26 PM
"aircraft remover" paint stripper.

E34 530
03-01-2006, 05:27 PM
"aircraft remover" paint stripper.

Ditto. I helped my friend paint one of his cars, it stripped the old paint off like nothing.

clhorton
03-01-2006, 09:29 PM
OK thanks I'll try that aircraft remover and then pressure wash hopefully that will work. Just dont want to see those poor rims so ugly!

Ditto. I helped my friend paint one of his cars, it stripped the old paint off like nothing.