PDA

View Full Version : 1987 BMW 535i Help!

Geezer
02-28-2006, 04:21 PM
Hey guys,

I just bought an '87 535i from a wreckers. It's in good nick, besides the fact that it doesn't go forwards or backwards (lol). The wrecking boys tell me that the problem's with the gearbox, and that I need to buy a new one because 'apparently' they can't be fixed. (The guy said, "Yeah, BMW make the best gearboxes in the world... but when they go, they go".)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I can't find the button or the lever that opens the fuel flap, anywhere in the car. There is a button beside the steering column that doesn't do anything when I push it, is this supposed to open the fuel flap but the mechanics of it are dead? Or is there some emergency lever somewhere?

Thanks,

Geez.

rob101
02-28-2006, 04:39 PM
firstly BMW doesn't "make" gearboxes, also what are we talking a manual or auto? and i am assuming you are talking about an e28.
as for the fuel cap if you have central locking just leave the car unlocked and you should be able to open the cap, when you lock the car the fuel cap gets locked too, there is no release lever.

Geezer
03-01-2006, 02:22 AM
She's an automatic. And really I am a newbie at this, so forgive me for not knowing some of the more basic things. And, it's not central locking either.

Paul in NZ
03-01-2006, 04:14 AM
it isnt?!!Has it got a charged working battery????i yhink there isa e28 site at mye28.com