PDA

View Full Version : Smoothness of gear shifting

t_marat
02-28-2006, 11:20 AM
Two weeks ago I changed the oil in the gearbox (changed the gasket). Before it was Esso ATF, put in Mobil 1 ATF 220. At first the gearbox felt a lot more smoother than with Esso. It lasted for several days. Then gear shifts became the same as before. Not bad, but not as smooth as immediately after the oil change.
Esso was put in in August 2005.

Is it the way it should be? There is sometime roughness shifting into the first gear. If you shift into second then to first, then no roughness.

Kobe Diesel
02-28-2006, 02:01 PM
Im dealing with the shifting issue myself as I just replaced the tranny oil on my 98 Audi A4. I dont know what oil was in it before, but I put in Redline MT90.
The shifts were smooth, especially when everything warmed up. Ive noticed that when in traffic, when rolling very slow and needing to go into 1st gear, it doesnt want to go in unless the vehicle is at a complete stop, this didnt happen before. At the moment, Im dealing with dropping temps where I live (NY) as the winter has been mild thus far so this could be affecting the gear oil.

My best guess is that the oil might need to be broken in after a few thousand miles.

Im sure other members will have better input than what I can provide.