PDA

View Full Version : Best $100 youve spent on a mod?

hakwuzhere
02-28-2006, 12:00 AM
Well, before today I would have had to say the $25 I spent on subframe inserts.... but now...

http://www.veeshanvault.org/gallery/albums/album33/big_boy.jpg

+

http://www.veeshanvault.org/gallery/albums/album33/Shift_Knob.jpg

= a completely new car!

$20 for the clutchstop, and $70 for the weighted short shifter (not a SSK, but a shorter shifter). The car drives so differently now, I had to cut down the clutchstop and drill the hole wider, but it was a simple installation.

So, what was yours?...

Incantation
02-28-2006, 12:11 AM
eyebrows

Qube
02-28-2006, 01:01 AM
Is that the weighted shifter I've seen on eBay? I've been debating that... but when I get a short shifter, the knob may disappear underneath the boot heh!

EDIT: Yeah it is! That's the stock picture!

Jeff N.
02-28-2006, 01:14 AM

hakwuzhere
02-28-2006, 01:50 AM
Qube, thats it, got it today, and Im impressed. It feels a whole lot better than stock, or the Mtechnik OEM knobs Ive had...

Heres the auction, quick shipping too! :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=8039254826&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT

He didnt have any for sale when I asked him a question about them, he immediately put up another auction for me and I used Buy it now.

Oh, and Im installing an E30 M3 shifter this weekend.... Ill let you know how it sits... but from all of the reading Ive been doing on it, it sits at stock height and just reduces throw. The UUC Evo3 actually has height adjustment if thats the way your going (there is a GB on them on BF.c right now, $238... best price Ive seen)

liquidtiger720
02-28-2006, 01:59 AM
$80 on a bmw cca car control clinic.

if not that... I dont know.

Paul in NZ
02-28-2006, 04:12 AM
gee you guys dot know you are alive....a synthetic oil change and filter costs over a hundred,or a dry tank fill up.....

pundit
02-28-2006, 08:12 AM
eyebrows
nostrils

Island530i
03-01-2006, 04:53 PM
Hak.. What exactly is the difference in feel, it seems that the pivot point and shifter length are the same regardless of the knob placed on them. I just don't understand how there can be a different feel in the shifting.

SharkmanBMW
03-01-2006, 04:57 PM
definitely subframe inserts from Bruno.

Jay 535i
03-01-2006, 05:01 PM
Hakwuzhere, is that knob illuminated? Is your shifter now as short as the one in the pic, or does the pic also have an SSK installed, y'think?

My best mod under $100 was the clear rear brake lenses. Okay, that was my only mod under $100.

Actually, I have Bruno's subframe inserts, but got them at the same time as the Sachs suspension kit, so I can't nail down the difference you'd get with just the inserts.

hakwuzhere
03-01-2006, 05:33 PM
The knob is not illuminated, and yes, it sits noticably lower. Im putting a SSK in on Sunday, but right now the throw feels reduced. I know its travel is the same, but it definately "feels" shorter.

Island530, your in annapolis right?... If you want I can let you drive it, Im in DC (live in Arlington, work everywhere from Gberg to Bowie).

Jay 535i
03-01-2006, 05:48 PM
The knob is not illuminated, and yes, it sits noticably lower. Im putting a SSK in on Sunday, but right now the throw feels reduced. I know its travel is the same, but it definately "feels" shorter.

Can you post before and after pics of the SSK? Make sure you give us your driving impressions, too.

Really nice stuff, there. Can't wait to get my transmission swapped.

hakwuzhere
03-01-2006, 05:54 PM
Im gonna do a writeup of the SSK install. Im using an E30 M3 OEM shifter, and doing a ghetto WSR as detailed by understeer.com. I also ordered the UUC bushings to replace the stock ones... I want to keep my shifting as smooth as possible.

Jay 535i
03-02-2006, 09:14 PM
Hey Hakwuzhere, let's see some pics of that shifter installed!

Does the manual E34 generally not have a clutch stop?

Gayle
03-02-2006, 10:16 PM
Jeff and Josh

What do they cover at Skill Day and Car Control Clinic?

liquidtiger720
03-02-2006, 10:42 PM
Car control clinic = skid pad, slalom, and a braking excerxise. I think the braking excercise is where I learned the most. The skid pad is kind of pointless and just rubs off rubber on non-rainy days. Slalom is fun! hehe.

http://www.ggcbmwcca.org/index.php?module=pagemaster&PAGE_user_op=view_page&PAGE_id=17

wingman
03-03-2006, 04:05 AM
What are the switches for on the console?

Jay 535i
03-03-2006, 12:58 PM
What are the switches for on the console?

Windows. The pic is from an E36.

Jay 535i
03-09-2006, 02:14 PM
Got any pics yet?

I've bought the same knob myself on your advice, and I'd like to know what it'll look like installed (I don't have a manual tranny -- yet).

I'd also like to know how your SSK worked out, and if the SSK combined with the short knob necessitates a shorter shift boot. I'm buying a new shift boot from these guys, and they'll custom make a slightly shorter version for no extra charge. I'd like to know if I should do that. Pics would help. Please?

http://www.redlinegoods.com/E34shiftboot.shtm

hakwuzhere
03-10-2006, 03:44 PM
My car is diiiirrrrrttttttyyyyyy :( So I havent snapped pics. I was gonna order a redline boot (even ordered the samples) But I ended up getting some leather boot from the UK for like $45 off Ebay.

Let me go take some pics now.

hakwuzhere
03-10-2006, 03:56 PM
As requested

http://www.veeshanvault.org/gallery/albums/album34/MyE34_Dirty_Shfter_004.sized.jpg

http://www.veeshanvault.org/gallery/albums/album34/MyE34_Dirty_Shfter_001.sized.jpg

http://www.veeshanvault.org/gallery/albums/album34/MyE34_Dirty_Shfter_002.sized.jpg

Jay 535i
03-10-2006, 04:00 PM
Many, many thanks!!

Not sure why you passed on the redline boot. They're only $40, aren't they?

Is your boot the stock height? Do you wish it was shorter (i.e. should I order a shortened one)?

Are those pics before or after your SSK installation?

What are your impressions (of the new parts, I mean -- not your best Bill Clinton)?

What kind of Redline samples did you get? What did you think of them?

Oh, jeez, I just realized that if I use this part (as I plan to) then that's going to effectively shorten the shifter another inch or so. I think I'll definitely need a shortened boot. But by how much, d'y'think?

http://www.moniqueandjay.com/shifter.jpg

hakwuzhere
03-10-2006, 04:02 PM
By the way, I didnt get a chance to do a writeup of the SSK install... I was so rushed when I put it in.

I actually forgot to put the circlip over my new selector rod pivot and the pin fell out on 495! Heres the story that I posted on BF.c

So today Im driving around 495 to the 270 spur to go to a meeting with the president of my company. As I get to the River Rd exit, my shift linkage falls apart!!

I knew immediately what it was, I replaced my shifter this weekend, and when I decided to put a new selector rod pivot on, I fogot to make sure the circlip was over the pin that holds the selector to the transmission.

Heh, so I get over to the side of the road and stop in what I thought was the shoulder... damn construction... it was the new exit for River Rd... Im sitting there dead in the water stuck in 5th gear watching in my rear view as people try to exit... see my car too late and slam on thier brakes... I thought I was dead. So, I smoked the clutch and got it going in 5th from a stop to move it to the shoulder past the exit.

Called my roadside assistance, and an employee to come pick me up. Roadside said that if I wasnt with the car they couldnt tow it. I said I would be at the shop. They said fine. Had my employee drive me to the corp office and made it to my meeting 15 mins late *phew!* if I had missed this, it would have been bad.... Midway through the meeting the tow driver calls me to say hes almost at the shop. I stop the meeting, call the shop and tell my mechanic to have one of his guys pretend he's me and to sign for the car.

Finally I get out of my meeting and get a ride to the shop, mechanic throws it up on the lift and sees that not only is my selector rod pivot not connected, but the Eclip over the bottom of the shifter (the one I put in Jimmy) is about to fall off. He replaces the washers and fixes everything, drops my car and then laughs at me. I asked him what I owed, and he said nothing.... just be more carefull if your going to work on your car yourself.

Everytime Ive used this shop over the years Ive had a great experiance like that... I know Im mechanically retarded... but Im trying to learn

Just thought Id share.... Gonna have him put on the new suspension next week, cause Id hate to think what would happen if I forgot a pin or clip there.

The shifter is awesome, very smooth, much shorter throw. Definately do the WSR when you do it, I also replaced the selector rod pivot and made sure I was putting new washers and Eclips in. After getting a new pin in(DONT FORGET THAT!) Its a joy to drive.

Jay 535i
03-10-2006, 04:05 PM
By the way, I didnt get a chance to do a writeup of the SSK install... I was so rushed when I put it in.

I actually forgot to put the circlip over my new selector rod pivot and the pin fell out on 495! Heres the story that I posted on BF.c

The shifter is awesome, very smooth, much shorter throw. Definately do the WSR when you do it, I also replaced the selector rod pivot and made sure I was putting new washers and Eclips in. After getting a new pin in(DONT FORGET THAT!) Its a joy to drive.

What's WSR?

I'll be using all new parts, if that matters.

hakwuzhere
03-10-2006, 04:05 PM
No reason to order a shorter boot.... I thought redline was 60 or 70 for the shift and ebrake boots(got both for 45) and I couldnt decide on the color I wanted. I will more than likely order a redline boot in the future.

hakwuzhere
03-10-2006, 04:06 PM
http://www.understeer.com/cheapwsr.shtml

Jay 535i
03-10-2006, 04:07 PM
No reason to order a shorter boot.... I thought redline was 60 or 70 for the shift and ebrake boots(got both for 45) and I couldnt decide on the color I wanted. I will more than likely order a redline boot in the future.

Oh, I see. I don't need an ebrake boot.

I think with the insert I'm going to use (see pic above) I will need a shortened boot. You think? Cuz, see, the base of the boot will get moved up while the height of the knob will stay the same, so I'll have some extra slack in the boot.

You really think adding weight to the selector rod like that is worthwhile? Very interesting.

Sorry for all the questions. I'm just getting excited about my tranny swap, and I've already got the weighted knob (ordered on your advice) so I'm starting to picture what it's all going to look like, and I want to get it right from the outset, both mechanically and cosmetically.

What kind of SSK did you use? On Bruno's advice, I was just going to use a Z8 shifter (slightly shorter than an E34's) and keep everything else stock (save for the knob and boot, of course).

Thanks again.