PDA

View Full Version : OK, so I'm a ricer at heart. So shoot me.

ProZak
02-27-2006, 10:16 PM
So I want to replace all my indicators with LED equivalents that don't look like complete crap.

Any other closet ricers out there with me, or are you all incandescent-or-nothing luddites?

I'm not talking neon or anything lame like that, just a 1 for 1 swap with the existing external lamps (brake lights, turn signals, etc)

Thoughts? Flames? Stupid ricer jokes? :) :) :)

632 Regal
02-27-2006, 10:19 PM
Im gonna take some time and digest what you just wrote.

bahnstormer
02-27-2006, 10:28 PM
why?

u want your blinkers to be brighter? a different color?
whats the goal here?

LEDS and traditional filament bulbs have different resistance requirements
as well

winfred
02-27-2006, 10:42 PM
yea that will probably cause check control errors that will be hard to kill

LEDS and traditional filament bulbs have different resistance requirements
as well

ProZak
02-27-2006, 10:54 PM
I'm going for brightness / quick response (the lag time and fade when a filament goes off charge has always bugged me)

I fully intend to keep the stock colors.

I'd also like to not ever have to replace another bulb again. So I'll be doing an HID upgrade someday. And maybe LEDs in the dash. :D Talk about ambitious.

Meanwhile, I know there'll be resistance issues - there are add-ons at *shudder* AutoZone that suggest the use of load-balancers, or something like that, to address the issue. Other thoughts?

Alexlind123
02-27-2006, 11:17 PM
Get the one thingys that i always forget the name of, they plug in where the normal bulb does and spread out like a squid once inside. Someone will remember what they are. Spyderlite or something.

Scott H
02-27-2006, 11:58 PM
It's late and I'm still at work.....I'll be back to comment

So I want to replace all my indicators with LED equivalents that don't look like complete crap.

Any other closet ricers out there with me, or are you all incandescent-or-nothing luddites?

I'm not talking neon or anything lame like that, just a 1 for 1 swap with the existing external lamps (brake lights, turn signals, etc)

Qube
02-28-2006, 12:00 AM
I considered the spiderlites (search here). Conclusion is no good.

Remember that the polarity is reversed on the connectors so if you go any buy an off the shelf LED bulb for the turn signals and what not, they wont work... not without some rewiring.

There are LED tail lights, but it's just for the brake function. The turn signal is still an incandecent (search eBay).

liquidtiger720
02-28-2006, 12:21 AM
Its okay dude, I eat rice every night. (literally)

ProZak
02-28-2006, 12:31 AM
Uh ... if the polarity is wrong, reverse the leads; too easy. And these actually look kind of neat. Since they'd be going into stock lenses, the prisming on the glass would diffuse the starburst pattern pretty nicely, I'd think. Why did you decide you didn't like these?

ProZak
02-28-2006, 12:37 AM
Hmmmmmmmm. http://www.automotiveled.com/

Paul in NZ
02-28-2006, 04:17 AM
get some..tell us how you defeat <ding> tail light

dacoyote
02-28-2006, 09:14 AM
LED's are cool.. let us know how you fix the <ding>

bimmerd00d
02-28-2006, 09:49 AM
You will most likely end up with turbo blinkers, unless the bulbs have a resistor built in.

1995 525i
02-28-2006, 10:37 AM

Haveing had a honda accord before my BMW I can see where the intrigue comes from to rice out a car but keep in mind this is a BMW. I say it needs to be tasteful. No reason to have lights that look like it came from a civic. :D There are plenty of tasetful mods out there for the 5.

Michael