PDA

View Full Version : BillB to the rescue!

1995 525i
02-27-2006, 12:36 PM
Bill was gracious enough to come out to my house yesterday and help me diagnose the prioblem with the coolant leak....Water Pump! He has volunteered more of his time to help me put a new one in tonight. I'll take picturs of the install process and post them here along with the pictures I took of his car and my car.

Thanks again Bill, your help is greatly,greatly appreciated.

Michael

Jon K
02-27-2006, 01:01 PM
Water pump on M50 is very easy - you will have no issues! Good luck.

billb
02-27-2006, 01:24 PM
I dashed up to Leith BMW today at lunch to get the pump for tonight's repair work. Please tell me my eyes are tricking me...

That's a glass-filled polyphenylene sulfide...hope it can hold up to the temps.

This is an emergency fitment, and BMW does offer 2-year parts and labor, lifetime parts. So Michael, I think we can safely install this pump on your car; just tuck the receipt in the car somewhere that it won't get lost.

Jon K
02-27-2006, 01:33 PM
ugh

Bill R.
02-27-2006, 01:51 PM
pps gf40 which is glass fiber reinforced rather than glass filled;) pps gf40 retains its mechanical properties up to 425F so if you get it that hot and haven't barbecued the rest of the motor then you better replace the pump...

I dashed up to Leith BMW today at lunch to get the pump for tonight's repair work. Please tell me my eyes are tricking me...

That's a glass-filled polyphenylene sulfide...hope it can hold up to the temps.

This is an emergency fitment, and BMW does offer 2-year parts and labor, lifetime parts. So Michael, I think we can safely install this pump on your car; just tuck the receipt in the car somewhere that it won't get lost.

billb
02-27-2006, 01:59 PM
pps gf40 which is glass fiber reinforced rather than glass filled;) pps gf40 retains its mechanical properties up to 425F so if you get it that hot and haven't barbecued the rest of the motor then you better replace the pump...
-you'd think I'd have caught my typo; we are, after all, in the molding business here (just not with PPS).

Yes, I think it will do fine; I was just shocked to see plastic again :(

Bill R.
02-27-2006, 02:07 PM
lotsa water pump failures/cooked engines at about 60k miles on the various models with the duratec motor in them.

-you'd think I'd have caught my typo; we are, after all, in the molding business here (just not with PPS).

Yes, I think it will do fine; I was just shocked to see plastic again :(

1995 525i
02-27-2006, 02:20 PM
lotsa water pump failures/cooked engines at about 60k miles on the various models with the duratec motor in them.

But I'm okay at least for a little while, right?

billb
02-27-2006, 02:40 PM
But I'm okay at least for a little while, right?

Willing to bet the one in your car is plastic., based on how tight that fan clutch is on there.

billb
02-27-2006, 09:27 PM
I specifically gave them the VIN GK48410. Got the new pump, didn't have the old one out yet for reference. The hole pattern is the same, but the WEEP HOLE placement is interfering with the pulse ring.

The correct part number for this vintage of car should be 11 51 7 527 799. They gave me 11 51 7 527 910. Still for a 525, just the wrong series.

We'll see what sort of discount they give us when I show up with this one...

Sorry Michael!!

Rigmaster
02-27-2006, 10:13 PM
I specifically gave them the VIN GK48410. Got the new pump, didn't have the old one out yet for reference. The hole pattern is the same, but the WEEP HOLE placement is interfering with the pulse ring.

The correct part number for this vintage of car should be 11 51 7 527 799. They gave me 11 51 7 527 910. Still for a 525, just the wrong series.

Sorry Michael!!

OH, I *love* Leith BMW........ I'll bet they just rolled their eyes and ignored you when you gave them the VIN Info.

;)

Bret.

Kalevera
02-27-2006, 10:16 PM

Sorry Michael!!
Leave it to the newly minted parts manager to mess it up :) Bet he just came over from Lexus.

First time I visited a dealer parts department desk, I stated that I needed belts for an M30.

The parts manager, who's been there for a few years: "What's an M30? Give me your VIN"

The courier, standing at the desk to pick up a few things: "You have an M5?"

The composite impeller's been around for a while...no problems with them. I'm sure I have a picture of the original plastic ones...we still occasionally pull one out of a car, with cracks in it of course.

best, whit

ryan roopnarine
02-27-2006, 11:48 PM

Sorry Michael!!

sorry bill, i have the box with the e34 water pump i bought off of ebay for 5.xx$ sitting right next to the monitor. when i saw that your last 3 digits on the box in your picture weren't 799, i thought that--either i had got the wrong part, or that you had a supercession part. shoulda said something.
same pps gf40 though. was scrutinizing your pic to see what the difference between my "old" part and your new and improved part were.

billb
02-28-2006, 05:26 AM
OH, I *love* Leith BMW........ I'll bet they just rolled their eyes and ignored you when you gave them the VIN Info.

;)

Bret.

...and turns out the old pump has a 2001 build date...wonder if they'll honor the "lifetime warranty" and just give me a new one? That'd be nice!!