PDA

View Full Version : Gimme some wheel help!!!

clhorton
02-27-2006, 02:09 AM
OK here is the situation. A friend of mine has a 2000 323 e46. He bought new wheels and said that I can buy his stocks for 100 bucks. The size on the stock wheels are 16X7 47mm offset. I am new to the wheel scene and do not have any experience with spacers. Here are my 3 questions:

1. What size spacers and tires would give me a good fit on my 92 535.

2. What are the repocussions of spacers. Do they hinder performance, safety, etc.

3. How do the spacers make the wheels look on a vehicle. I mean I have seen cars on the road with wheels protruding a foot outside of the wheel well. I just don't want this ghetto look on my car. How noticeable will it be that my car has spacers?

Thanks in advance!

angrypancake
02-27-2006, 02:27 AM
question #1 sums it all up. you won't get a good fit. you will need huge spacers to run them. normal 3 series wheels require a 20mm spacer. i wouldn't do it if i was you, stay tuned for the more technical reason why you shouldnt (i can't specify it, but it will be done)

clhorton
02-27-2006, 02:32 AM
OK well cool then. Damn I was getting a good deal too. Guess I'll just save up to buy another style then. Is it considered sacriligious to put alpina wheels (replicas) on a non alpina e34? I mean is it like putting an m5 logo on a 525? What opinion do you guys have?

question #1 sums it all up. you won't get a good fit. you will need huge spacers to run them. normal 3 series wheels require a 20mm spacer. i wouldn't do it if i was you, stay tuned for the more technical reason why you shouldnt (i can't specify it, but it will be done)

Paul in NZ
02-27-2006, 02:45 AM
there are no rules when it comes to wheels apart from getting the right fit The biggest you should go is 18,but most say 17 is the better size for the e 34

angrypancake
02-27-2006, 11:17 AM
Is it considered sacriligious to put alpina wheels (replicas) on a non alpina e34? I mean is it like putting an m5 logo on a 525? What opinion do you guys have?

alpina wheels can be pretty cool. i think grave77 has em on his 535 and they look good. definitely not the same ballpark as m5 badges on a 525. if you put alpina badges, wheels, pinstripes, well then you're going into the misrepresentation thing which can be viewed as "sacriligious." people put m5 t-stars on cars all the time, it's the same as alpina wheels on a non alpina.

HDhandyman
02-27-2006, 11:27 AM
You should still buy the stock wheels for 100, though. Just sell em on flea bay to pay for whatever new wheels you want. Maybe you could even trade em to a wheel and brake Indy for a set that will fit your car. Sounds like you still got a great deal to me!

Tiger
02-27-2006, 11:43 AM
Agreed: Buy it low Sell alot higher.

clhorton
02-27-2006, 06:45 PM
Yeah that is what I think I'm gonna do. That idea works for me.

Agreed: Buy it low Sell alot higher.