PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on power steering pump

Jon K
02-27-2006, 12:06 AM
Sisters 1995 530i has a failing/ed power steering pump. It's got fluid, though it's leaking from SOMEWHERE yet to be determined. It groans and moans and has very little assistance. So, I am thinking either a rebuild kit or a reman'd pump- but a new pump is like $400. Any one got some ideas?

E34 530
02-27-2006, 12:09 AM
Is that what makes the groaning?? My cars does that all the time but goes away when the car heats up to the halfway mark. The steering seems fine though.

Jon K
02-27-2006, 12:12 AM
Well when the fluid/pump is super cold like we've had it will groan occasionally regardless of pump condition - but this is full time groaning.

gale
02-27-2006, 01:06 AM
Well when the fluid/pump is super cold like we've had it will groan occasionally regardless of pump condition - but this is full time groaning.

If it were mine I'd put in a remanufactured pump. I'm not sure how BMW does it and this is prolly apples & oranges, but I just put a remanufacured pump in my Chevy 350 a few weeks ago. The inside of the old pump was trashed and the "rebuild kit" was nothing more than a bag full of o-rings and a new shaft bushing & seal. The new pump took care of it and is smooth as silk now, both steering and braking -- has the Bendix "Hydro-Boost" brake system that slaved off of the PS pump.