PDA

View Full Version : Details, '95 525iT waterpump R/R

Rob Edwards
02-26-2006, 08:19 PM
Just jotting this down for those compulsive folks who don't like surprises when tacking such jobs.

This pump was installed at 58K miles, and now at 115K was leaking around its gasket,

All in all, the WP replacement is very simple, and goes just as described in the Bentley manual. I would add the following details:

-Don't forget to loosen the WP pulley bolts before removing the drive belt. (Duh...)
-My belt tensioner has a T45 torx hole in it, not an 8 mm allen hole. (I had the tensioner replaced at 80K miles, maybe the OEM has the 8 mm allen hole)
-No need to remove the thermostat housing to get at the WP, as the picture in the Bentley would suggest. I did remove the upper radiator hose (since I was replacing it anyway)
- A LOT of coolant will gush out upon removing the WP if you only drain the coolant from the radiator on a cold motor. Either drain the engine block as well or be prepared for a mess.
-I gooped the O-ring gasket with a bit of vaseline for installation.
-89 inch pounds of torque doesn't seem like much for the WP bolts, but mine is completely dry 24 hours later.

Total time start to finish was about 90 minutes. I jacked up the car in front to aid in bleeding and 'cause the Sachs kit has it lowered so that it hurts my back to work under the hood...

Kalevera
02-26-2006, 08:27 PM
- A LOT of coolant will gush out upon removing the WP if you only drain the coolant from the radiator on a cold motor. Either drain the engine block as well or be prepared for a mess.
-I gooped the O-ring gasket with a bit of vaseline for installation.

Lift the front of the car a few inches to keep more coolant in the block/heater core, unless the coolant is being replaced anyway.

I use a dot of engine oil on the O ring during reinstall...I figure it's less likely to stick around than something like vaseline, but they're both petroleum based, so who knows.

best, whit