PDA

View Full Version : Re-do of all locks.

CharlesAFerg
02-26-2006, 04:48 PM
I currently have to carry around two keys, one for the door and another for the ignition. What is the best way to go about getting new locks? I also need them changed because of some odd lock demons or something, someone explained on another recent thread it has to do with the "electronic switches" going bad... So I have come to the conclusion I need new locks. lol
Thanks guys
-Charles

Incantation
02-26-2006, 05:04 PM
why do you have different keys for the lock and the ignition? they should be the same

Kalevera
02-26-2006, 05:41 PM
You can "rebuild" any lock cylinder in the car -- we do it all the time -- to fit any key. Dealers sell a kit...BMA and the like should have it, as well.

If I had to wager a guess, I'd say that the original ignition cylinder went bad (not uncommon), or the car was a theft recovery, and the upper half of the steering column was replaced.

If that's the case, I would pull the current ignition cylinder and rebuild or replace it (depending on what you feel comfortable doing -- BMW will sell you a replacement cylinder and keys, already coded, with proof of ownership for a reasonable fee).

In terms of odd un/locking behavior at the doors, it's wise to first check the known culprits (trunk lid wiring, fuses) before condemning the door microswitch. The whole lock-then-it-automatically-unlocks thing is well covered in previous threads.

best, whit

CharlesAFerg
02-26-2006, 06:19 PM
why do you have different keys for the lock and the ignition? they should be the same

lol, Yes I understand that :p I am assuming it is a theft recovery, one of the windows was broken as I found small glass shards under the seat cushon. Lovely. (This is the same window that makes rushing wind noises because its not a perfect fit... Also lovely.

Regardless, thanks lowell, I will definately go that direction!