PDA

View Full Version : Rattles/squeaks- hate them!

Russell
02-26-2006, 03:58 PM
I keep getting rattles/squeaks from the pasenger side of the car on rough roads. Sounds like something loose or rubbing. However, sounds seem to vary, depending on temperature. Tightened/lubed everything I can find including removing front passenger door panel and sealing/tightening everywhere. Sunroof was checked. Door seals are lubed with gummi-pflege. One source might be the passenger seat. However all bolts are tight. Archives hint at all these as possible sources.

Any thoughts? TIA

Kalevera
02-26-2006, 04:22 PM
Hi Russell -- Does the noise originate from the front or the rear? The bottom right edge of the glove box will squeak and rattle if it is drooping, but you'd be able to pinpoint the source towards the front of the car while driving.

best, whit

632 Regal
02-26-2006, 04:37 PM
my rear door does that, the window linkage pops one of the center plastic deals if I run the window up too far. If I pop it back on it doesnt rattle at all, I need to adjust the limiter a little bit more.

Russell
02-26-2006, 05:55 PM
Seems like center post area and/or rear door area. Could be seat or door area related. Hard to pinpoint which is part of the problem as noise is not focused. When weather gets better, I plan to lube rub points on the lower rear seat area and seat back to see if that helps. Leather seems to creak a bit on rub points as well.

Hi Russell -- Does the noise originate from the front or the rear? The bottom right edge of the glove box will squeak and rattle if it is drooping, but you'd be able to pinpoint the source towards the front of the car while driving.

best, whit

Russell
02-26-2006, 05:55 PM
Willl check

bayviewsbb
02-27-2006, 02:25 AM
I keep getting rattles/squeaks from the pasenger side of the car on rough roads. Sounds like something loose or rubbing. However, sounds seem to vary, depending on temperature. Tightened/lubed everything I can find including removing front passenger door panel and sealing/tightening everywhere. Sunroof was checked. Door seals are lubed with gummi-pflege. One source might be the passenger seat. However all bolts are tight. Archives hint at all these as possible sources.

Any thoughts? TIA
G'day Russell,
Tracked down an annoying noise as being the glove box facia panel vibrating
when driving over poor roads...Superglued some velcro to top corners and voila!
Now have to work out how to quieten the front pasenger seat side wall...(when seat occupied no noises...)

onewhippedpuppy
02-27-2006, 07:51 AM
Lubing all the linkages under my seats helped with my weird squeaks and rattles. Also, wrapping the door catches with friction tape helped with all the door rattles. When you had the panel off, did you tighten the wood and handle screws? The glovebox also has screws from the backside that attach the wood. All this stuff helped on mine, it's almost rattle free.

Russell
02-27-2006, 09:50 AM
Will follow up on the lube under the seats and check glove box screws. Need to do the tape on the passenger side door catches. did the driver's door some time ago. Will check it. I hate working on cars in cold weather even though I have an unheated garage. May get a small heater.

BTW, these cars do flex over bumps. Theyare not quite as stiff as newer cars. Thanks for your advice.

Lubing all the linkages under my seats helped with my weird squeaks and rattles. Also, wrapping the door catches with friction tape helped with all the door rattles. When you had the panel off, did you tighten the wood and handle screws? The glovebox also has screws from the backside that attach the wood. All this stuff helped on mine, it's almost rattle free.

Russell
03-01-2006, 06:18 AM
Looks like the top of my glovebox was rubbing the dash and the glove box shock was rattling. will fix asap. Thanks

G'day Russell,
Tracked down an annoying noise as being the glove box facia panel vibrating
when driving over poor roads...Superglued some velcro to top corners and voila!
Now have to work out how to quieten the front pasenger seat side wall...(when seat occupied no noises...)

Russell
03-01-2006, 06:19 AM
tape on latches helped a bit-thanks