PDA

View Full Version : About ready to take a sledgehammer to it!!!

ChrisMcC
02-26-2006, 10:18 AM
My 94' 540ia is giving me fits. I have replaced every gasket in the top half of the engine, the fuel pump, the filters, the PCV plate and associated gaskets. I did a reboot of the computer yesterday after it warmed up and it ran perfectly. It idled better than it ever did. Today, I start the car and coded up 1222. I rebooted the car again and it runs fine again. I'll bet a dollar to a dime that if I let it totally cool down and try to start it again, I'll get 1222 all over again. It's 27 degrees here in Ohio. I don't get this problem in the summertime. I'm open to any off hand ideas of where to look for the problem.

As soon as I get the CEL, the car goes full rich and nothing brings it back to normal unless I reboot. Flip up rear seats for battery access and a battery quick disconnect are not an option. Again, educated guesses are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

tim s
02-26-2006, 11:58 AM
fix the cat & never got a code since.
tim s.

winfred
02-26-2006, 12:03 PM
could be a slow or bad 02 sensor, i usually find when i get 02 control codes and theres no other problem like a air leak or bad temp sensor the sensor is probably tired and getting slow, once it throws the 02 control code the computer will ignore the sensor inputs and run off a preset safe fueling map, if you have access to a graphing multi meter you can test the sensor a analog/digital meters display doesn't react fast enough, if not it would be cheeper to just replace the two sensors then to buy a meter to test and find out that the sensor/sensors are bad. chances are if they have much over 100k miles on them they need to be replaced anyway and are costing you power and mpg, the easy way to test for air leaks is spray around the intake with carb cleaner while it's idling, try it cold and hot looking for a change in the idle

winfred
02-26-2006, 12:06 PM
that's another possiblity, testable with a gauge screwed into the 02 sensor hole, anything over a pound or two of back pressure at a stedy few k rpm rev is bad. v8s seem to eat cats

fix the cat & never got a code since.
tim s.

ChrisMcC
02-26-2006, 10:34 PM
I forgot to mention in my previous post that the O2 sensors are new too. Less than 10k miles on them. I also had the tailpipes cut in half in front of the cats by a reputable muffler shop in my area. The cats are fine. This is an intermittent problem and only happens when it is cold outside. There has to be a common denominator that I haven't figured out yet. Is there a TSB from BMW regarding this problem?

It seems that there are a lot of people with the M60 motor who have the same sorts of problem. Are there any M60's that actually run right?

I drove the car home tonight and sure enough, the same old garbage. This time, the car shut off during the drive 2X. My 318i was the joy of my life, after I get rid of this car, I'll never own another BMW as long as I live.

Scott H
02-26-2006, 11:06 PM
but take that sledgehammer to it first! It will help you get your anger out.

BMW is the worst crap out there....you need a good old American V8, not some German crap.

I had to rebuild my crappy M30 engine after 147k measly miles. I thought they went for 300k miles regularly and boy was I wrong!!!

after I get rid of mine I am going to go buy a Chevy Cobalt....I can't wait!!!

My 318i was the joy of my life, after I get rid of this car, I'll never own another BMW as long as I live.

Jon K
02-26-2006, 11:10 PM
I like the new Hyundai Elantra - It ran circles around my junker!

angrypancake
02-26-2006, 11:15 PM
dude I hate my car too. maybe a tree can dispatch this one too, and i'll use the insurance money to get a civic and pimp that bitch out, cause when im done with it it will smoke you guys and your stupid high mileage always breaking bmws. everyone knows that theyre total problem cars, without proper maintenence all kinds of crap goes wrong. who has time for a head gasket repair? seriously. i cant wait to focus all my attention on hating mustangs, having my grammar will turn to ****, hooked on ebonics will work for me. 535 pffff civic si baby.. and if that fails im gonna get one of these
http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/3781/502yo7jx.jpg

you gotta be smoking some good **** :)
http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/8478/jamaica1874vq.jpg

HDhandyman
02-26-2006, 11:30 PM
Hey Chris, at least it's not a real German achievement. My wife's 73 VW Bug, now that thing truly is a piece of s**t.

Gayle
02-26-2006, 11:32 PM
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c21/e34Gayle/9hammerSmall.jpg

If this won't do the job, Dacoyote has a bigger one.

angrypancake
02-27-2006, 12:01 AM
forget the sledge. you should just blow it up (make sure to fill the tank beforehand) but before you do take some target practice...
http://img462.imageshack.us/img462/6396/kitty2av.jpg

Kalevera
02-27-2006, 12:09 AM
I suggest the price of $500 or best offer.

Nothing like a chevy 350, and for the $500 you get out of that b m troubleu, you can get some sweet mods for that new ride.

best, whit

Paul in NZ
02-27-2006, 04:57 AM
Chris,I am pretty sure that there IS a thread relating to M60/cold/poor running.The search function is very exact ie it will find eactly what you type...

ChrisMcC
02-27-2006, 07:09 AM
I appreciate the humor. If I was really going to "do the car in" my weapon of choice would be a bunker buster bomb or something of the sort. I really do like the car and despite my frustration in my last post. It seems that this car in particular is over engineered in many respects and it is very frustrating to have an engine fault code that could encompass so many different problems. (Code 1222)

I have used the search function and have literally tried everything that has been suggested. Nothing so far has panned out. I also have been through the Haynes manual several times. The only thing that I was that I saw might be a problem is the ICV which was partially open during inspection. Is this the way it should appear or should it be held shut by the spring? Also, could the cam sensor cause the car to throw the 1222 code? This also sounds like I'm reaching but could a small oil leak cause the problem? I have a leak that causes the car to leak a half quart of oil about every 3k miles.

Thanks in advance.

Chris

winfred
02-27-2006, 09:42 AM
02 sensor codes like 1222 ("lamda control bank 1", right side) are usually related to mixture problems like air leaks or bad tune up. the cam sensor shouldn't effect just the right side of the motor

dacoyote
02-27-2006, 10:37 AM

If this won't do the job, Dacoyote has a bigger one.

Little sissy 12 pound sledge... you aren't going to do anything with that....

I will trade you a sledgehammer for the car :-)

MBXB
02-27-2006, 11:08 AM
Chris,

Did you check the Air Temp Sensor, and the two water temp sensors on the crossover pipe/ passenger side?

Mike-AZ
02-27-2006, 12:16 PM
Maybe this will help. I too replaced the intake gaskets, throttle body gasket, and the pcv plate and gasket on my '94 540i back in November (136,000 Nikasil miles). I was getting a constant code for lambda control for the left side bank, as well as the bimmer idled like crap. Well, after all was put back together and I started it up, the 540i was not happy for the first 20-30 seconds and threw a code for the right side lambda...but then smoothed out. To be rid of the code, I tried unhooking the battery and crossing the positive and negative wires together to drain the computers, then put everything back together. But still, the 540i acted like a little baby and gave me the same right-side lambda control code. I did this same procedure like 5 more times and gave up. A few days later, I tried something different as a last resort. I started the 540i, let it warm up, then shut it off. I opened up the DME computer box in the engine compartment and disconnected the engine computer for about a half hour. After putting everything back together and starting her back up, the V-8 ran rough for just a second or two, but not long enough to throw a code. Now all is well. I have not had any more code problems since then. And yes, these cars can be very frustrating. I have not taken a sledge to mine yet, but the 540 did have a run-in with a pick axe last summer that required me to get a new trunk lid and some tail lights. Don't ask. ;o)

NovceGuru
02-27-2006, 01:01 PM
ChrisMcC,

Where are you at in Ohio? I'm about 50 miles north east of Columbus.

ChrisMcC
02-27-2006, 06:48 PM
I'm in Cincinnati. I do visit Columbus quite a lot though for work.

SharkmanBMW
02-27-2006, 07:04 PM
I would love to buy a chevy cobalt, or a dodge neon and drive it into a wall - just to show everyone what a deathtrap looks like!

I know a guy who bought a new neon, automatic with air... for $11k canadian!
BRAND NEW for 11k!
WTF?
can you really feel safe in a box worth 11k?

DaCan23
02-27-2006, 09:10 PM
I read most posts.... dont think anyone mentioned this...

What about the O2 sensor relay? If its bad then the O2s might not being properly warmed up in the cold weather?

632 Regal
02-27-2006, 10:12 PM
http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=16391

back to basics bud, last week or so someone did the intake gasket thing and guess what? One of the gaskets slipped while installing and he didnt catch it. Bad things like that CAN happen.

ChrisMcC
02-28-2006, 08:24 PM
HOLY CRAP, I JUST SAW THE PICTURES FROM THE LINK REGAL POSTED. THERE ARE SUPPOSED TO BE GASKETS AROUND THE AIR INTAKE TUBE!! Regal, You Are A Genius!!

It appears the last owner didn't think that these were important parts and ditched them. I think you just solved my problem!!!

Scott H
02-28-2006, 08:26 PM
"regal, you are a genius"

enough said! :D

HOLY CRAP, I JUST SAW THE PICTURES FROM THE LINK REGAL POSTED. THERE ARE SUPPOSED TO BE GASKETS AROUND THE AIR INTAKE TUBE!! Regal, You Are A Genius!!

It appears the last owner didn't think that these were important parts and ditched them. I think you just solved my problem!!!

dacoyote
02-28-2006, 08:31 PM
"regal, you are a genius"

enough said! :D

That was Jeff's helpful post of the year...

BlueM60
02-28-2006, 09:45 PM
Probably a far cry, but you may have a fried DME. Anybody nearby you that you could quickly swp them and try it out. I know there are some bulletins on older 525's with cold start issues, dont remember if it covered other E34's. It involved and EPROM chip upgrade/ replacement becuase of a fuel mixture that was waayyy too rich at cold start. I would definitely look at DME if youve done all the other basics already.

-Ben

araine901
02-28-2006, 10:16 PM
http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=19055

He may have meant to link my post. I am the sucka that had slipped the gasket.

Aaron;)