PDA

View Full Version : Same old starting problem

romus
02-26-2006, 07:48 AM
Hey guys.

Sometimes (once every few months) I have problem cold starting. It keeps turning but won't start. I try 3-4 times short, then wait few minutes, then try another 3-4 times. Then it fires up almost immediately. And I do mean that this comes up as rare as once every few months. Usually it starts fine. Just once I got a fault displayed, warning me about oil pressure sensor/switch when it wouldn't start like this. I dis/re-connected the sensor and it started.

Tonight I had another case of this. Difference was that this time, after it started, it stalled on idle after 5-10 seconds of idling. Now this never happened before. The rest of the night, as usual, started fine each and every time.

I know this area is very broad and list of reasons could be endless. But I'm hoping that someone here had similar symptoms and could point me in the right direction. Works perfect, starts within second or two almost 100% of times then something happens every few months. Tell me what that something is. :)

Thanks guys.

Romus

gt90
02-26-2006, 10:30 AM
I have the same problem on my 535ia!
only it does it once every week or two.
I had a very similar problem on my '91 SHO and it was a crankshaft position sensor.
Could it be the same thing here?

Bill R.
02-26-2006, 12:33 PM
the crank position sensor is loose or misadjusted then i would check the fuel pump relay and the main relay or dme relay, either one of these relays could have a small crack in the solder joints that could cause this..

Hey guys.

Sometimes (once every few months) I have problem cold starting. It keeps turning but won't start. I try 3-4 times short, then wait few minutes, then try another 3-4 times. Then it fires up almost immediately. And I do mean that this comes up as rare as once every few months. Usually it starts fine. Just once I got a fault displayed, warning me about oil pressure sensor/switch when it wouldn't start like this. I dis/re-connected the sensor and it started.

Tonight I had another case of this. Difference was that this time, after it started, it stalled on idle after 5-10 seconds of idling. Now this never happened before. The rest of the night, as usual, started fine each and every time.

I know this area is very broad and list of reasons could be endless. But I'm hoping that someone here had similar symptoms and could point me in the right direction. Works perfect, starts within second or two almost 100% of times then something happens every few months. Tell me what that something is. :)

Thanks guys.

Romus

romus
02-27-2006, 11:12 AM
the crank position sensor is loose or misadjusted then i would check the fuel pump relay and the main relay or dme relay, either one of these relays could have a small crack in the solder joints that could cause this..

Thanks. I'll have a look in the morning.

wingman
02-28-2006, 08:33 AM
Any luck yet mate?