PDA

View Full Version : E39 Question- Does the CEL automatically come on at 120k mi?

tim
02-25-2006, 12:08 PM
My neighbor's 528i's CEL came on at precisely 120k. No codes came up on the generic OBDII, and there appears to be nothing wrong with the car. Before I clear it, is this normal, or should I be looking harder for a cause.

tia,

tim

Bill R.
02-25-2006, 12:30 PM
obdII tool, is the light staying on or did it just briefly come on. If its staying on it should have set a code of some kind.. I'd say its not normal but then again i don't work on very many of them yet.

My neighbor's 528i's CEL came on at precisely 120k. No codes came up on the generic OBDII, and there appears to be nothing wrong with the car. Before I clear it, is this normal, or should I be looking harder for a cause.

tia,

tim

tim
02-25-2006, 01:48 PM
obdII tool, is the light staying on or did it just briefly come on. If its staying on it should have set a code of some kind.. I'd say its not normal but then again i don't work on very many of them yet.

The light is staying on. I did the scan on the AZ orange scanner, so before I jump to too many conclusions, I'll run it through my other friend's Snap-On one, which tends to be more reliable. I recently changed his plugs, but i didn't do his o2 sensor, and that could very well be it.

Bill R.
02-25-2006, 03:05 PM
even if it couldn't identify a manufacturer specific code...I'd definitely try the snap on since this sounds pretty strange

The light is staying on. I did the scan on the AZ orange scanner, so before I jump to too many conclusions, I'll run it through my other friend's Snap-On one, which tends to be more reliable. I recently changed his plugs, but i didn't do his o2 sensor, and that could very well be it.

tim
02-25-2006, 07:18 PM
even if it couldn't identify a manufacturer specific code...I'd definitely try the snap on since this sounds pretty strange

I will, and I'll let you know.

Thanks