PDA

View Full Version : Chech engine light turns on when i gas it

wnaridebmwstyl
02-25-2006, 10:34 AM
Hi, I just signed up to this forum. Well, I guess i should go on to tell you guys what is wrong with my car.

I own a 1993 525i, and it has 193000 miles on it and is automatic transmission. The problem i have is that whenever i push the gas pedal all the way down to the floor the car speeds up and as soon as it changes gear the check engine light comes on and the car kinda stalls, as if the engine turns itself off really quick and comes back on. Its really weird and frightening. I wanted to know if any of you guys have ever experienced this and maybe know whats wrong with the car. Thanks in advance.

Rus
02-25-2006, 12:07 PM
I experienced something similar on my 535iA and it turned out to be a failing fuel pump. Have the fuel pressure checked. In my case the CEL came on during prolonged idling as well. When the light was on, the engine went into limp mode. The error code in my case was 1222, which is Labmda Control I believe. If you can, do a stomp test and determine what fault code is stored. Hope this helps.

athflying79
02-25-2006, 03:19 PM
My car does something similar after prolonged driving or much sooner when it is HOT out. The light will only come on during acceleration and as soon as I let off the gas, it goes out. I think it is either the O2 sensor or a bad cat. It does not go into limp mode and for the most part I can't feel a difference in the way it drives or runs when this happens.

I just changed my 02 sensor, so we'll see if that helps. I have a Peake reader and by the time I get home, no codes come up.