PDA

View Full Version : q----what are the rear pitman arms and front sways "made" of.....

ryan roopnarine
03-17-2004, 09:52 AM
ie, are they bushing bearing devices, or do they have ball bearings in them...looking under das car reveals that at very least the back left ones have destroyed rubber boots, on both dogbones and rear swaybar links, and i can't afford 55 dollar replacements on each side.. if they are ball bearing devices, ill repack and make another boot, if not....also, same question for front sway links, are they some type of poly bushing inside, or balljoint. tia.

Bruno
03-17-2004, 10:08 AM
If the boot is cracked on the sway bar link or dogbones, then there is a big chance that there is dirt in the part already.

If you don't have the cash, go with the cheapest brand... but you know that it will happen again in 6 month to 1 year.

Do it right with Lemforder parts and do it once... I think that there is ball joint replacement boots for the ball joints on the thrust arms and control arms, but I don't think there is any for the sway bar links.

AllanS
03-17-2004, 10:10 AM
The rear links are just rubber and the front links are 2 opposed ball joints. No ball bearings anywheres.

FYI, I have spare front and rear links, from when I removed the sways and installed the mtech ones. I'll give them to you for the cost of shipping, they're still in good shape.

mholbrook
03-17-2004, 10:26 AM
Free is good. BMA for best prices. I think more like $60 for pair of pitman arms at BMA. They have an online catalog, www.bmaparts.com

Mike

ryan roopnarine
03-17-2004, 10:29 AM
are ball jointed, i can get them to live again, im very good at things such as that, that's what i meant by (ballbearing), as synonomous to me as ball joint bearing.....lemme see exactly what's broken on my car before i ask anything of you, and thanks for your offer....i was hoping that the fronts were jointed. my stoopid thrust arm boots just died too, im thinking that i can keep everything in good working order by taking a syringe every week filled with wheel bearing grease and injecting the broken rubber areas until everything looks flushed.

ryan roopnarine
03-17-2004, 10:33 AM
that it was 55 for each, not for the pair.

Free is good. BMA for best prices. I think more like $60 for pair of pitman arms at BMA. They have an online catalog, www.bmaparts.com

Mike

AllanS
03-17-2004, 10:37 AM
It's definately a ball joint, top and bottom. The rears are just rubber inside a metal shell, so to speak.

ryan roopnarine
03-17-2004, 10:38 AM
for the pair isn't that bad......i want to see what i can refurb myself though first.

that it was 55 for each, not for the pair.