PDA

View Full Version : Fog Lights Won't Turn Off

JMI
02-24-2006, 02:02 PM
The car is a 1989 535i
The fog lights will not turn off. Green indicator light goes on and off but lights stay on.
Have removed a fuse (#7) for now. Could the problem reside in the LKM that I have been reading about while searching forums for help? If it is in the module what is the fix? Or is there another possibility - like a different relay or the switch itself? I don't know design of circuit but it would seem the switch is functioning in some manner otherwise what is causing the indicator light to go on and off?

Thanks

Jim

632 Regal
02-24-2006, 02:03 PM
sounds like a relay, tap them with something and see if they go out. if not then probably the LKM.

Scott H
02-24-2006, 02:05 PM
JMI where are you at.....I have 189,159,676,192 fog light switches and 1 extra LKM (from my 89 535) that you could try to diagnose your problem with.

Scott H
02-24-2006, 02:07 PM
for the foglights

sounds like a relay, tap them with something and see if they go out. if not then probably the LKM.

Tiger
02-24-2006, 02:52 PM
Definitely LKM... is there high wattage bulbs in those foglights? If so, it would cause this type of situation.

JMI
02-24-2006, 03:28 PM
Definitely LKM... is there high wattage bulbs in those foglights? If so, it would cause this type of situation.

I don't know the wattage, I've only had the car a few days. The proper wattage would be what?
What you say sounds troublesome. I hope your not implying that the relay is "welded" closed.
If it is welded closed where can I get a new relay (salvage or not) as opposed to a new LKM.

TIA

Jim

Tiger
02-24-2006, 03:33 PM
55 Watt is normal. Even if it is welded, you can take apart the LKM and use a small flat screwdriver to "unweld" the relay... scraping the contacs clean... and hope for the best.

JMI
02-24-2006, 03:45 PM
55 Watt is normal. Even if it is welded, you can take apart the LKM and use a small flat screwdriver to "unweld" the relay... scraping the contacs clean... and hope for the best.

Sounds tricky. Will be a few day before I have the time to check all this out.

Stay tuned...

JMI
02-24-2006, 03:48 PM
JMI where are you at.....I have 189,159,676,192 fog light switches and 1 extra LKM (from my 89 535) that you could try to diagnose your problem with.

I'm in Seattle. Thanks for the offer. I might ask for your help down the road.

Javier
02-24-2006, 07:48 PM
Green indicator light goes on and off but lights stay on.

The green indicator is wired in parallel to the right front fog light, can not be off if right fog is on! Unless damaged.

In my LKM, there is one unused relay, if you find your fog relay is in trouble, you can easily replace it with the unused one, (Not sure your LKM is the same as my "european version" nor if it has the extra relay, guess it is for 7 series application). See picture.

Other than a damaged fog relay inside the LKM, the only possible cause would be a defective fog ligth switch, this of course, considering that wiring harness is OK.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d116/jgandra/LKMRelays.jpg
Javier

Scott H
02-24-2006, 07:53 PM
that was always my suspicion as the pinouts that run to that relay are not present on the female side of those sockets (in the bottom of the e-box). If you follow the ETM pinout diagram it looks like the blanks in US cars are where the rear fogs would be. The only thing that throws off my suspicion is that the rear fogs are only 21watt bulbs and don't draw a lot of power, therefor not necessary to run via relay......

just taking a stab......

Javier
02-24-2006, 08:34 PM
My car does have rear fog lights, so I removed LKM box, plug it back and confirmed that turning on rear fogs operates the fourth relay.

You just removed my illusion that I've got a spare relay for the LKM.

Javier

JMI
02-25-2006, 01:28 PM
Well, the good news is it has gone away. The F/Fog warning was driving me batty with the #7 fuse removed, so I tapped several times on the LKM, reinstalled the fuse, the fogs stayed off and the F/Fog warning disappeared.

Before turning them on again I'll check the wattage of the bulbs and replace as needed. I will then try the fogs again and see what happens.

Will post the results.

Thanks

Javier
02-25-2006, 01:51 PM
the relay contacts inside LKM. Dirt, overheating, and sticking go together.

Javier

JMI
02-25-2006, 03:23 PM
You may want to spray some contact cleaner at .. the relay contacts inside LKM. Dirt, overheating, and sticking go together.

Javier

Good idea, will give it a try.