PDA

View Full Version : Simple fix to keyless/keyfob problems

ChefJRD
02-24-2006, 12:49 PM
I got my 525i a little over a year ago and the keyless entry system has never worked quite right. Sometimes it would work great, then not at all, then just once in a while. I tried new batteries, resetting the system by putting the keyfob chips in the main module at least a dozen times, but nothing worked consistenly. Other people have tried aiming the keyfob at their skull to amplify the signal, using a lightpole, measuring the humidity, but none of those were very satisfying solutions. I noticed though, that it worked almost 100% of the time when I had the back seat up......

It didn't make much sense, but I thought the seat was somehow blocking the RF signal from getting to the module, so I put the antenna behind the headrest with an extension cable. That STILL didn't work! With the seat down, that is. It worked just fine with the seat up......

I started thinking that maybe it wasn't the RF signal, but a loose connection caused by the seat being put in place. So, I unscrewed the keyless entry module and placed it in a more recessed area under the seat so that it wouldn't be bumped when I put the seat back on and voila - it works like a charm!

It'd be interesting to know if this works for anyone else. I did a quick search of the archives to look for similar recommendations, but didn't find any. My apologies if this is redundant.

What got me re-interested in solving this problem is that the driver's side key cylinder is getting a bit sluggish. Any advice on how to clean that up?

Tom Bombadil
02-24-2006, 04:12 PM
I'm definately going to try this when I get home.
I'll let you know if it works.

dacoyote
02-24-2006, 04:31 PM
I'm definately going to try this when I get home.
I'll let you know if it works.

Dude... how do you fell about not being in the movies..

hoodsstalker
04-09-2006, 09:24 PM
I've had the exact same problem! i'm going to try this out , and respond if it worked for me!
Cheers!

hoodsstalker
04-09-2006, 09:54 PM
I went downstairs , and moved the reciever out from its bracket and put it in a little recess in the middle area of the seat. i closed all the door and locked the seat in place and tried the remote . IT WORKS!! this thread has relieved me of all the key fob frustrations i've been having for the past few days , thanks again!
Cheers!