PDA

View Full Version : Hello all newbie here with some questions.

bulldog_shotgun
02-24-2006, 09:48 AM
I just bought my first bmw monday, a 1989 535i this is a e34 right???
anyway its a very nice car and extremely reasonably priced. i expected it to be higher, but i have a few questions

this morning i was going to drive it too work for the first time and i went out and started it (it was about 22deg. F) to let it warm up 15 mins later the tempature guage showed it right in the middle of normal, but the heater wouldn't put out any heat. the fan wouldn't even kick on no matter what setting i used. when i test drove this car monday the heater was going great guns, and i remember the previous owner turning it off.

the middle slider (forward air i believe) won't slide all the way to the right.

it has a 3.5 liter inline 6 what engine code is this m30????

what headlight bulbs are the correct ones??
the brights are extremely bright i know i've read some complaints but mine are great. but one of the lows is really dim and the other is bright and the screens says LOW BEAM.

anyway thanks and hello to everyone, this seems like a great forum.

dacoyote
02-24-2006, 10:09 AM
.....the fan wouldn't even kick on no matter what setting i used.

Assuming you are talking about the fan control in the middle... normally that means the sword pack is out.... It should still work on 4 however....

.....it has a 3.5 liter inline 6 what engine code is this m30????

Yes.. a 89 535i would be a M30

what headlight bulbs are the correct ones??
the brights are extremely bright i know i've read some complaints but mine are great. but one of the lows is really dim and the other is bright and the screens says LOW BEAM.

Don't know off the top of my head... but one of them is wrong or the LKM is having issues...

anyway thanks and hello to everyone, this seems like a great forum.

Ahhh.. thanks...

bulldog_shotgun
02-24-2006, 01:13 PM
okay so if the fan doesn't work at all??? does the heater have to get up to temp??

and what about that middle slider??

whats an LKM???

thanks for the reply though!

BASEBALL248
02-24-2006, 01:15 PM
whats an LKM???

http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/maintenance/electrical/LKM.htm

Bill R.
02-24-2006, 01:20 PM
manual ac/heater setup.

okay so if the fan doesn't work at all??? does the heater have to get up to temp??

and what about that middle slider??

whats an LKM???

thanks for the reply though!

dacoyote
02-24-2006, 01:22 PM
manual ac/heater setup.

good point.... I didn't even think about that Bill....

Where are you at?

Torque
02-24-2006, 01:33 PM
Low beams take 9006, high beams take 9005 bulbs. Although, 9005 bulbs can be modified to fit the low beams for more light output. Look under upgrades>lighting on www.bmwe34.net

welcome to bimmer.info.

Bill R.
02-24-2006, 01:39 PM
it sunk in that he said sliders which would indicate manual/ac/heat

good point.... I didn't even think about that Bill....

Where are you at?

dacoyote
02-24-2006, 01:41 PM
it sunk in that he said sliders which would indicate manual/ac/heat

darn.... now my head hurts.....

bulldog_shotgun
02-24-2006, 01:44 PM
yeah i saw that little bit about using two orings and trimming tabs.
but i think i just have two different bulbs as they both work.

i am located in Ohio

the car has 3 sliders on the left side of the heater control and 3 knobs on the right, driver temp, fan speed,and pass temp. it also has 3 push buttons on the far left, recirc, ac, and rear defrost.

dacoyote
02-24-2006, 01:48 PM

i am located in Ohio

the car has 3 sliders on the left side of the heater control and 3 knobs on the right, driver temp, fan speed,and pass temp. it also has 3 push buttons on the far left, recirc, ac, and rear defrost.

Where in Ohio Bulldog... I am in the Cleveland Area.. run down to Columbus about every weekend....

ok.... what happens if you turn the fan to 4... and the driver side temp control to all the way into the red?

632 Regal
02-24-2006, 01:50 PM
all the knobs should be clockwise for full heat and full fan speed.
If still nothing check the fuses under the hood, would suck if this car is problematic.

i am located in Ohio

bulldog_shotgun
02-24-2006, 01:53 PM
I thought this morning when i put it in that overide position i could hear a click like a relay down by the passenger footwell but it was 5:15 and i was still half asleep so i don't know. i could be hearing things.

New Madison ohio

i'll save you the time of looking it up its about 10 miles north of 70 and 3 miles from indiana.
richmond indiana / dayton ohio area.

GO BUCKS!!!!!

bulldog_shotgun
02-24-2006, 01:56 PM
why'll i'm at it i forgot what is the orange box right above the front wheel wells???? has a wire plugged into it. the drivers side plug appears to be badly deteriorated

dacoyote
02-24-2006, 01:58 PM
I thought this morning when i put it in that overide position i could hear a click like a relay down by the passenger footwell but it was 5:15 and i was still half asleep so i don't know. i could be hearing things.

New Madison ohio

i'll save you the time of looking it up its about 10 miles north of 70 and 3 miles from indiana.
richmond indiana / dayton ohio area.

GO BUCKS!!!!!

Cool beans.....

Did you try the fan in 4?

bulldog_shotgun
02-24-2006, 02:02 PM
yes sorry thats what i meant fan in position 4 and drivers temp all the way up with the defroster slider on.

Bill R.
02-24-2006, 02:03 PM
srs/ airbag light on the dash on. Or if you really mess up you'll set the airbag off.. Anytime you see that color orange wiring or connectors on the car it usually indicates that its part of the srs supplemental restraing system or airbag and you should show caution around those wires /connections etc.

why'll i'm at it i forgot what is the orange box right above the front wheel wells???? has a wire plugged into it. the drivers side plug appears to be badly deteriorated

dacoyote
02-24-2006, 02:08 PM
yes sorry thats what i meant fan in position 4 and drivers temp all the way up with the defroster slider on.

and you got nothing... chech the fuses...

dacoyote
02-24-2006, 02:09 PM
srs/ airbag light on the dash on. Or if you really mess up you'll set the airbag off.. Anytime you see that color orange wiring or connectors on the car it usually indicates that its part of the srs supplemental restraing system or airbag and you should show caution around those wires /connections etc.

SRS systems are fun....

unhook your battery before getting close to those wires....

bulldog_shotgun
02-24-2006, 02:11 PM

too late i didn't screw with it but like i said its in bad shape. and my srs light is already on. i didn't really worry about it as my dads taurus SHO and lincoln both have there lights on (clock springs in both cases) i just figured it was the clock spring. now i know i guess. i'll take some pics and upload them see what you guys think i should do about the damage.

bulldog_shotgun
02-24-2006, 02:12 PM
and you got nothing... chech the fuses...

will do thanks for the advice guys. i am a reg on about 4-5 forums and never see this fast of a response.

This forum ROCKS.

dacoyote
02-24-2006, 02:16 PM
will do thanks for the advice guys. i am a reg on about 4-5 forums and never see this fast of a response.

This forum ROCKS.

Yeah.. .there are a lot of us that have nothing better to do...

:-)

Let us know what you find