PDA

View Full Version : Do you rate stock cars?

wingman
02-24-2006, 06:31 AM
I'm a stock car freak. I've been the same with houses that I've restored. Without taking anything away from my admired friends on this site who modify their cars, are stock cars rated by the membership? Do you have to make mods to gain acceptance? Is it OK to keep your car stock? Who owns the most original car? My mind is open, fire away!

Dave M
02-24-2006, 08:12 AM
wingman......is that a blacked-out kidney I spy?

I believe there are plenty of stockers in the club. My 525im has only seen a suspension overhaul (eibachs/boges) and some minor cosmetics (clear corners, red tails, blacked-out shadowline). Oh, and the cd in the rear arm rest.

Keep yours stock, maybe we'll need one as an example in weny years ;)

Dave M

Russell
02-24-2006, 08:39 AM
EAT chip only change on mine.

Russell
02-24-2006, 08:42 AM
in upper thrust arms and rear sub frame bushings. Mainly using them to gain time before replacing thrust arms and rear sub frame bushings.

EAT chip only change on mine.

dacoyote
02-24-2006, 09:20 AM
Stock for life..... :-)

BigKriss
02-24-2006, 09:23 AM
stock is gay

Stock for life..... :-)

liquidtiger720
02-24-2006, 09:39 AM
Stock is fine. I only upgrade when the orginal parts are due for replacement.

dacoyote
02-24-2006, 09:40 AM
stock is gay

stock is cheap..... :-)

BigKriss
02-24-2006, 09:50 AM
it's your car and your money, spend it how you wish. My goal is a stock looking car on the outside with anything but stock performance. BMA makes most things cheap anyway. You don't need any mods to gain acceptance, just respect for other members, well thought out educated answers and some other attributes I cannot think of right now.

Bill R.
02-24-2006, 09:56 AM
headlight bulbs , 750 thrust arm bushings etc to be non stock.. Stock ride height stock suspension, stock brakes ,stock wheel and tire size etc. For my intents and purposes stock suits me fine. There are some cars that i feel need changes but they aren't e34's...

I'm a stock car freak. I've been the same with houses that I've restored. Without taking anything away from my admired friends on this site who modify their cars, are stock cars rated by the membership? Do you have to make mods to gain acceptance? Is it OK to keep your car stock? Who owns the most original car? My mind is open, fire away!

dacoyote
02-24-2006, 09:58 AM
.... attributes I cannot think of right now.

Jay 535i
02-24-2006, 02:38 PM
To each his own. Stock or modified, it's not important. It's the total picture that matters.

Anthony (M5 in Calgary)
02-24-2006, 02:48 PM
My philosophy is to make tasteful upgrades as parts require replacement. BMW put a lot of effort into the design and it's pretty tough to improve what they did, especially once the M guys got done with it.

The original owner of my car put the ACS wheels on it practially when the car was new. They represent the only cosmetic change on the thing aside from the tail pipes:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/interalian/0e987931.jpg

When the muffler finally rusted out, the replacement decision was made for a SuperSprint cat back. No real performance benefit and only a tiny bit louder. 40lbs lighter than stock though:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/interalian/M5%20repair%202005/112-1201_IMG.jpg

Other changes limited to stuff you can't see but are keeping with the UUC philosophy of improvement without visual evidence, hence Konis and UUC SSK.

In the big picture though, to each their own.

wingman
02-24-2006, 05:05 PM
No.

wingman
02-24-2006, 05:10 PM
stock is gay

As in homosexual? I always knew that I was a lesbian but it's now been confirmed.

Zeuk in Oz
02-24-2006, 05:20 PM
Stock it is, as far as I am concerned.

Why would I want to try to turn my M20 525i into an M5.

If I wanted an M5, I would buy one and keep it stock ! :D

I agree with Bill R though, that 750 bushings and brighter headlight globes etc are acceptable as still stock.

Horses for courses !

632 Regal
02-24-2006, 06:31 PM
where and how much was that supersprint setup?

My philosophy is to make tasteful upgrades as parts require replacement. BMW put a lot of effort into the design and it's pretty tough to improve what they did, especially once the M guys got done with it.

The original owner of my car put the ACS wheels on it practially when the car was new. They represent the only cosmetic change on the thing aside from the tail pipes:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/interalian/0e987931.jpg

When the muffler finally rusted out, the replacement decision was made for a SuperSprint cat back. No real performance benefit and only a tiny bit louder. 40lbs lighter than stock though:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/interalian/M5%20repair%202005/112-1201_IMG.jpg

Other changes limited to stuff you can't see but are keeping with the UUC philosophy of improvement without visual evidence, hence Konis and UUC SSK.

In the big picture though, to each their own.

Gayle
02-25-2006, 12:46 AM

I know you were not asking me Jeff, but since I did a lot of muffler shopping in Dec., I have a link for you.

http://www.bmpdesign.com/category-exec/category_id/100/search_year/1990/search_model/26

pundit
02-25-2006, 01:38 AM
So far genuine 'T' Stars, EAT chip & 750 bushings.
If Koni wind up making their FSD shocks to suit an E34 then I will fit those and maybe some Eibach springs but apart from the usual maintenance items, oh and an 'invisible' stereo upgrade', that's about it for me.

Blitzkrieg Bob
02-25-2006, 01:45 AM
Mods are for those trying to compensate for certain "inadequacies"

mattyb
02-25-2006, 02:13 AM
stock as! apart from whatever needs replacement with oem parts the 540i doesnt need to much doing for a decent ride.

angrypancake
02-25-2006, 02:38 AM
stock rocks but sometimes necessary "mods" are required, be it new springs/shocks that might lower the car a little bit, stiffer sways, 750 bushings. oh, and definitely a headunit, if it has a display that can match your interior :). A zeemax widebody kit? definitely not necessary.

Paul in NZ
02-25-2006, 05:15 AM
mine is completely stock except the wheels,and you have to forgive that.It had the trx,s though am going retro again

Anthony (M5 in Calgary)
02-25-2006, 12:34 PM

Purchased from local SS disti Tunerworks (here in Calgary) for ~C$1500 + GST (gouge and screw tax @7%). They're about U$1100 south of the border. I could have saved a little importing from the 50, but decided to support the local business instead.