PDA

View Full Version : 530i V Wife advice please

wingman
02-24-2006, 01:22 AM
I want this car. Wife says NO! and will not even enter into discussion/argument. Wife is a good girl but I bet this car is too. What should I do?

P.S. I'd ditch the wheels but 89,000kms!?!?! Unheard of.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c301/wingman_1968/530copy.jpg

angrypancake
02-24-2006, 01:28 AM
buy it and have her get in and there "accidentally" be a ring on the passenger seat or something

wingman
02-24-2006, 01:34 AM
You've done this before haven't you!;)

KB535i
02-24-2006, 01:45 AM
crazy how much they are in other countries. $19,990 Damn.

wingman
02-24-2006, 01:58 AM
Yes it's a reality. E34s area stilll big money in OZ. Only us rich guys can buy them;) I saw a 1989 M20 525i recently with similar miles for AU$17990!!!

KB535i
02-24-2006, 02:12 AM
guess i should of sold my 91 535ia to somebody out there. Might have gotten 10k for it.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y165/bekraig/PICT3533.jpg

pundit
02-24-2006, 02:19 AM
I want this car. Wife says NO! and will not even enter into discussion/argument. Wife is a good girl but I bet this car is too. What should I do?

P.S. I'd ditch the wheels but 89,000kms!?!?! Unheard of.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c301/wingman_1968/530copy.jpg
I'd go for a 540 if I were you. Otherwise a 535i.
I know the kms are low but a 530i will leave you feeling not quite there.
You should be able to pick up a 540 with under 150,000KMS for around $20k if you look.

BTW this crowd always advertises with "Optional Motorsport Wheels".
They use the wheels to close the deal. The will say the wheels will add an extra $2-3K to the price but then in the end will offer them for 'free' to close the deal.
Beware they are just Asian knockoffs. I would go the otherway and let them think you want the wheels and once they offer them for 'free' tell them you don't want them and offer them $2k less than the asking price for the standard wheels. Cruel.... but extremely fair! :)

wingman
02-24-2006, 02:34 AM
Thanks for the advice and there is no such thing as being fair with car dealers. When are they ever fair?!?! The wheels IMHO look shite. They have a low mileage 540 for about 3 grand more. At the moment though it's a moot point. Wife will not budge. She's at work tonight keeping me in the manner to which I am accustomed. I want to send her this thread to convince her. Gayle are you out there??? HELP!!!

Zeuk in Oz
02-24-2006, 02:45 AM
My advice would be to continue trying to talk her round for a few more days. Then graciously accept defeat.
Sulk for a few more days, then suddenly find this car and work on her again to convince her : http://www.drive.com.au/used_cars/bmw/5/sydney/detail.aspx?id=2575733&pg=1&pp=10&d=0&nv=1
Worth a look, as they say !

wingman
02-24-2006, 02:54 AM
Bo you are an absolute b***tard! How dare you bring this to my attention! It's a brave man (wife) that gets between me and my cheque book when things like this appear. How can I justify $38,000? She wants a new kitchen.

Zeuk in Oz
02-24-2006, 03:00 AM
Bo you are an absolute b***tard! How dare you bring this to my attention! It's a brave man (wife) that gets between me and my cheque book when things like this appear. How can I justify $38,000? She wants a new kitchen.
Tony,
My next line was going to be show her this one last : http://www.drive.com.au/used_cars/bmw/5/adelaide/detail.aspx?id=2595185&pg=1&pp=9&d=0&nv=1

Edit : By the way, if you buy one of these I expect a test drive ! :D

Cheers,
Bo

BigKriss
02-24-2006, 03:21 AM
I love how they try to sell the car;

"Number 19 is widely regarded as the best available of the series."

Our cars are worth a lot less then the prices being mentioned here;

http://www.redbookasiapacific.com/au/vehicle/prices.php?key=BMW+95AZ

http://www.drive.com.au/used_cars/bmw/5/adelaide/detail.aspx?id=2595185&pg=1&pp=9&d=0&nv=1

Paul in NZ
02-24-2006, 03:52 AM
I just kept on and on and on and on and on and on..........
Get he car AND the kitchen....if you are gonna get another e34 you must get an LE... and there is a site here (http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/BMW540iLE/) that knows ALL about them,they probably know about 19 too

BigKriss
02-24-2006, 04:23 AM
Thats Daves's site, and 19 was his old car.

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=10506

I just kept on and on and on and on and on and on..........
Get he car AND the kitchen....if you are gonna get another e34 you must get an LE... and there is a site here (http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/BMW540iLE/) that knows ALL about them,they probably know about 19 too

pundit
02-24-2006, 05:23 AM
Thats Daves's site, and 19 was his old car.

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=10506
I bought my 'T' Stars from David.

callen
02-24-2006, 09:33 AM
Don't buy it....

Unless you have lots of time, patience, money for parts...I would stay away from a 530i. They're smooth (Mostly) running cars with good fuel economy but after continually replacing cooling system parts...Radiators, Water Pumps, Water Outlets...Intake manifold boots...intake manifold gaskets, catalytic converters, Rough idle crap.....you'll regret it....sold my 530i...and for first time in 20 years I didn't wince when I sold a car and it drove off....actually celebrated.

Alexlind123
02-24-2006, 10:18 AM
A 535i will probably be cheaper and more reliable.

BASEBALL248
02-24-2006, 10:37 AM
Buy the car...sell the wife (j\k):D

romus
02-24-2006, 10:57 AM
oh Bo, why do you do THIS to me??? :)

Lennyz525i
02-24-2006, 01:21 PM
buy it and have her get in and there "accidentally" be a ring on the passenger seat or something

smooth!

632 Regal
02-24-2006, 01:33 PM
Im not sure how well it would work for you but I would just buy the thing and be done with it, cant take it back ya know? As for convincing her of something she obviously doesnt understand "the love between a man and his car" forget it, if you have to go through such hoops maybe you should concider your options.

Then again this comes from someone that is divorced 2x and has had a million different chicks...

:D

Hope you get it anyways, the 530s are NOT bad, besides they have about the same torque and HP as a 535, just in a different rpm range.

dacoyote
02-24-2006, 01:34 PM

Then again this comes from someone that is divorced 2x and has had a million different chicks...

LOL... Jeff advise is solid man....

wingman
02-25-2006, 03:32 AM
Don't buy it....

Unless you have lots of time, patience, money for parts...I would stay away from a 530i. They're smooth (Mostly) running cars with good fuel economy but after continually replacing cooling system parts...Radiators, Water Pumps, Water Outlets...Intake manifold boots...intake manifold gaskets, catalytic converters, Rough idle crap.....you'll regret it....sold my 530i...and for first time in 20 years I didn't wince when I sold a car and it drove off....actually celebrated.

They are that bad??? I've heard nothing but good things about them. Until now...:(

Randell
02-25-2006, 04:28 AM
sometimes i see nice BMWs going for a similar price range and i think i would love a second car, and then i think... do i really need 2 cars? 2 x rego is over $800+/year, 2 x insurance would be almost $2000/year (for me anyway), then there is is twice as much chance something will go wrong

if you like your car and plan on keeping it, why not spend a little money fixing up those things that you keep saying 'one day i'll fix it', such as in my case the passenger door brake which i drilled out over a year ago and still haven't replaced!

$20000 is a lot of money... imagine what else you could do with $20k... i'm starting to sound like my girlfriend here but she does make a good point!

mattyb
02-25-2006, 04:36 AM
theres a 535i 89 up on the central coast good cond for $5k. havent seen it but its been in the local paper for 2 weeks. ill look at it if u need.

pundit
02-25-2006, 03:34 PM
theres a 535i 89 up on the central coast good cond for $5k. havent seen it but its been in the local paper for 2 weeks. ill look at it if u need.
There was a very clean looking 535i for sale in Geelong, Victoria with genuine Style 5's for about $6k. That catch was there was some issues with the auto trans but it did drive. I think the seller would have even taken less as it was adverstised for about 6 months and he had dropped the price from about $8k.

632 Regal
02-25-2006, 03:48 PM
WTF? I havent had any problems like this except intake gaskets...
Why would you generalize a statement like this just because YOU happened to choose a car that wasnt maintained???

Don't buy it....

Robin-535im
02-27-2006, 01:23 PM
Just side with the one you want to keep the longest :)

callen
02-27-2006, 01:46 PM
Yes....stay with straight 6...unless you can buy a new one with warrantee....just do search on this board...or any board.

callen
02-27-2006, 02:00 PM
Car was meticulously maintained....by me...nothing but the best...BMW oil filters...BMW parts everytime...never anything else...and replaced everything that was remotely close to part I was replacing.....but after replacing Radiator twice...water pump(BMW) twice...water outlet (BMW) three times...engine needing to be replaced at 50K miles (thankfully under warrantee) catalytic converter...master and Slave cylinder....intake manifold...intake boots...fan shroud...can go on and on and on....have a file cabinet full of receipts for the 530.....I have a 535 and the two are night and day when it comes to reliability, cost of parts and ease of repairs....yes the V8's are smooth and when running properly are very nice...as I've mentioned in previous post...but if you want an E34 wait and find a low mileage 6.

My comments aren't a generalization.....not just using experience with my car.......but that of being on this and old board for many years and listening and helping others with V8's........
search rough idle....you'll get a bazilian hits...
Oh and resale values....plummeted in the US...reason????

Sorry if I seem to be brash..guess I'm still pissed at BMW for selling the V8.

wingman
02-28-2006, 05:19 AM
I like the 535i but i'm keen to get a newer car. I like the airbag and woodtrim of the later cars. A fairly late M50 would be good, wide grille etc. I've given up on the 530. She will not budge and boy did I get it when I showed her this thread. I thought all the good advice would change her mind.:(

wingman
03-03-2006, 04:55 AM
A compromise has been reached!!! quote:"You can have any E34 you like but you have to sell my car and we go back to being a one car family" Now I read this as ANY E34! But... 3 and 5 year old boys = spilt drinks, sticky lolly wrappers, muddy feet on the seats and in the carpet, wife who loves hitting kerbs... What do you think? I'm thinking M5 with trashed throwing stars and destroyed interior... There's nothing wrong with my current car.

632 Regal
03-03-2006, 09:33 AM
dont sound like a fair compromise to me...

A compromise has been reached!!! quote:"You can have any E34 you like but you have to sell my car and we go back to being a one car family" Now I read this as ANY E34! But... 3 and 5 year old boys = spilt drinks, sticky lolly wrappers, muddy feet on the seats and in the carpet, wife who loves hitting kerbs... What do you think? I'm thinking M5 with trashed throwing stars and destroyed interior... There's nothing wrong with my current car.

Zeuk in Oz
03-03-2006, 08:59 PM

Wifes - but they can't stop you dreaming ! ;)

BTW, I'm impressed she knows what an E34 is ! :p

Blitzkrieg Bob
03-03-2006, 09:22 PM
all the time....

At first she didn't want the car. "I don't want a touring...my Caravan still goes!"

Then after afew test drives...she's warmed up. "Oh that sunroof is cool..is that real leather?"

She just says "If you want it get it"...

But I can't find one that's right.

Incantation
03-03-2006, 10:05 PM
dude you wear the pants. what the women says is irrelevant

but yea change the wheels

Paul in NZ
03-03-2006, 11:48 PM
make sure then that you get removeable mats (leather seats are std) in your new LE!

rob101
03-04-2006, 12:22 AM
hmmmmm i think there are important lessons in this for everyone... especially young unattached guys like myself... buy a 540i LE (6 speed) before getting married:p I concur with the 535i being better. you can still find 535is with less than 200 000 km on the clock and lets face it 200 000km for an e34 with an M30 isn't alot

Alexlind123
03-04-2006, 12:34 AM
I like the 535i but i'm keen to get a newer car. I like the airbag and woodtrim of the later cars. A fairly late M50 would be good, wide grille etc. I've given up on the 530. She will not budge and boy did I get it when I showed her this thread. I thought all the good advice would change her mind.:(

My car has an airbag and wood trim.

rob101
03-04-2006, 12:40 AM
my 525i is an m50 and it has an airbag plus its manual hehe. T-stars too
guess how much? $11600 on the road:p

Gayle
03-04-2006, 12:41 AM
Wingman--I feel like I have let you down. Sorry--I have worked the last 12 days straight and those have been long days so I missed your thread. But I am here now with the womans perspective. :)

You haven't given us many clues why she says no. If she wants to be a one car family, she is going through a period of tempory insanity. (just a joke). The only thing I can get from this thread is that she wants a kitchen. Is that the only reason or is there more?

If it is just the kitchen, someone already gave you the answer. You have to get both. Do they have home equity loans in your country like here. Your house goes up in value and you pull the value out with a second mortgage. You use the money to get the kitchen and the car.

Your best bet is to have a serious conversation with her about the kitchen she wants. Really find out what she wants and figure out how much it costs. Figure out it there is a way to do it cheaper than she thinks (like using cabinet kits you assemble yourself). If she thinks you are taking her wants seriously, she will be more likely to compromise.

Some have advised you to just go for it. My boss who has been married 32 years frequently says this: He learned early in marriage you can never win an argument with your wife, even if you win. When you think you won, you find yourself faced with a lot of cold dinners and headaches.

Blitzkrieg Bob
03-04-2006, 02:27 AM
get ****ed or sucked very often with that attitude

Without dropping a few bills $$$$$

wingman
03-04-2006, 03:40 AM
Thanks for your perspective Gayle. Thanks also to all the advice from all of you. I cannot in good conscience (sp.) sell her car and inflict two kids under 5 on a 540i LE/M5 or even a 'humble' 530i. My wife wants to put money into the house which is sound thinking. Her plans even include a double garage!!! Incantation said "you where the pants". Damn right! Blitz Bob's reply though summed it up. I go and buy a flash car and get no sex EVER AGAIN. I'm going to give it a few months. Get the kitchen done, get the new double garage and try again. Who knows what will be on the market then.;)

Gayle
03-04-2006, 08:23 AM
get ****ed or sucked very often with that attitude

Without dropping a few bills $$$$$

How many years of marriage did it take you to learn that?

Elekta
03-04-2006, 09:52 AM
I have to agree with Gayle. You have to get both. My idea to sell to her is both of you getting what you want.

The process in a successful marriage is not if you can solve the problem, but how you are going to solve the problem.

Look at it that way and you will always find the solution. It's worked for me, my family (two small boys <4) and my two e34's.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/ggil-tx/bmw/4b841c27.jpg

Here's a thought:

If E34's are so desired in Oz, then why not get the second mortgage, import 3 right handers from GB, paint them, fix them up a little, and sell two, keep one, and build the kitchen with it.

Also, from someone who has spent the last year building his wife her dream home, price that kitchen out as best you can.

cabinets:$9k
appliances: $12k
black honed granite $6200
Oil base paint in and out: $3k

That's a whole lot more than a little E34.

cheers

romus
03-04-2006, 12:46 PM
Had I gotten that kitchen designer/salesman job I went for few months back, I could help you out with a special price. But knowing how boring such a position is, I'd be out of there long before you'd need it! :)

Listen to Gayle mate, she knows better about "the other side" than any of us. :) I know the feeling though, you don't wanna give in every time either. At one point I was thinking seriously about an E36 M3 I found while looking for 535. Price was, of course, WAY WAY out of my budget and the loan would have burried me. My girl (read: fiance) loves E34 body and I did too so I decided to "settle with her" and go for less headaches option. I don't ever regret it, but she thinks she won. Now she can never say "Damn, you never listen to my advice!" :D

Do what feels right, and good luck ;)

95-540iLE
03-06-2006, 09:37 PM
Hey

David here. Prior to buying my first 540iLE (#19) I owned a 530i. Can I say, if you can find a good LE at a price you can afford, get that instead of the 530i.

I have seen LE's advertised for as low as $20000. I believe you would get #19 for mid-$20's and #32 for low $30's if you were serious.

Both cars are excellent examples. #19 is in better condition than many LE's I have seen with 1/2 the kms. #32 is one of the best period.

A 530i will, as mentioned above, leave you wanting more. A 540iLE will satisfy you in many ways you never imagined (but possibly not in all ways your wife can).

And I agree, wives can be very unreasonable. Mine made me sell #19 after I bought #62. I have since acquired a 1991 M5 and am working towards trying to get her to let me keep that and my 540iLE.

Good luck with it.

I bought my 'T' Stars from David.

rob101
03-06-2006, 09:50 PM
I have to agree with Gayle. You have to get both. My idea to sell to her is both of you getting what you want.

The process in a successful marriage is not if you can solve the problem, but how you are going to solve the problem.

Look at it that way and you will always find the solution. It's worked for me, my family (two small boys <4) and my two e34's.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/ggil-tx/bmw/4b841c27.jpg

Here's a thought:

If E34's are so desired in Oz, then why not get the second mortgage, import 3 right handers from GB, paint them, fix them up a little, and sell two, keep one, and build the kitchen with it.

Also, from someone who has spent the last year building his wife her dream home, price that kitchen out as best you can.

cabinets:$9k
appliances: $12k
black honed granite $6200
Oil base paint in and out: $3k

That's a whole lot more than a little E34.

cheers
Japan is the place of choice to import them from, its alot of stuffing around but they are worth it.... jap cars of this vintage usually have less than 60 000 km on the odometer and there are alot of RHD ones (as japs drive on the left too)

95-540iLE
03-06-2006, 10:09 PM
Yes, many great cars for sale in Japan (including a couple of very low km 1995 6 speed M5's in recent months).

However, the big problem is that our restrictive import laws mean we are not allowed to import any cars built after 31 December 1988 (with very few, very limited exceptions).

This is the main reason prices are higher here than elsewhere, combined with the fact that we don't salt roads etc and older cars are generally in much better condition here than many other parts of the world.

Cheers

Japan is the place of choice to import them from, its alot of stuffing around but they are worth it.... jap cars of this vintage usually have less than 60 000 km on the odometer and there are alot of RHD ones (as japs drive on the left too)

rob101
03-06-2006, 10:40 PM
Yes, many great cars for sale in Japan (including a couple of very low km 1995 6 speed M5's in recent months).

However, the big problem is that our restrictive import laws mean we are not allowed to import any cars built after 31 December 1988 (with very few, very limited exceptions).

This is the main reason prices are higher here than elsewhere, combined with the fact that we don't salt roads etc and older cars are generally in much better condition here than many other parts of the world.

Cheers
yeah, friend has a 525i from japan annnnnnnnnnnd a seriously corroded exhaust to go with it, it gives you ear bleeds when you sit in the back seat.....that is, with the windows up. imported bmws are usually shonky unfortunately because of the salted roads :(

GJPinAU
03-07-2006, 12:44 AM
Tony, what you need to know is how much you'd get for the 525, offset that against the price of the 530 or use it to buy the new kitchen (use the story "when WE sell the car we'll get the kitchen!").

I'm still not convinced the V8 is as good as the big 6, so I would say to keep a look out for a late 535is - M Tech body kit, manual, heaps of torque - great car!
Couldn't you borrow a company car for yourself??

cheers,
Greg

wingman
03-07-2006, 04:35 AM
Couldn't you borrow a company car for yourself??
cheers,
Greg

One like this? I'm not sure of the structural integrity of the Falcon...
http://www.inthejob.com/nswCAMER001.jpg;)

wingman
03-07-2006, 04:37 AM
Bad link I'll try and post again.

http://www.inthejob.com/nswCAMER001.jpg

mattyb
03-09-2006, 09:51 AM
hey mate. there are 2 540i's coming up for sale on the central coast shortly. one is 94 black auto and the other i believe is calypso red auto as well. heard this from the stealer. the balck one i have seen . an old fella, a local doctor, bought 2 brand new. his wife drives one and he the other. dont know miles but both in good nic as i see them often. The other is owned by the uncle of one of the mechanics at the stealer. it was a Hong kong import 7 years ago apparently it has 70 thou k's on it. Ihave been told they will both be under $15k

DanDombrowski
03-09-2006, 11:26 AM
Man, if there is one thing I hate, its when I go and look at a car and the salesman tries to sell me by saying "Don't spend all of your cash on an engagement ring! Buy this G35/m3/350z instead! You wear the pants, right? C'mon, be cool".

Not to say that your advice is bad advice. Overall, it is much easier to make large purchases that arent necessary when you are single, so mabye thats the best time to do it. Your quote just reminded me of a high pressure salesman and it made me rant. Sorry.