PDA

View Full Version : oil in coolent bottle????

robert
03-17-2004, 08:08 AM
hi all..wondering if any one can help or advise... 91 525i automatic

i have noticed the car over the last few days delays in pick- up of gear esp noticable when slowing down and pulling away it has abt a 5 sec delay in sececting the gear i thought it may be low transmission fluid ..so i went looking for the dip stick..cannot locate it ... how do i check fluid levels ??
i was checking the car etc and when i opened up the coolent bottle i saw it was full with oil.. i checked the engine oil lev etc.. its is not low it`s exact on max lev checked the filler cap on the engine to see if their was any froth or signs of water all clear.. the oil is a light brown color no warning lights have displayed any probs ie low coolent levels/ oil prob`s etc i checked the warning panel and it all looks to be in working order...confused :( ...can any one advise

Mr. BILL
03-17-2004, 08:35 AM
Sounds like you have a blown head gasket. Have it towed to a shop familiar with BMW's. Driving it might make things worse like warping the head, (more $$$).

Not completely sure but, I don't think cars from '91 on have did sticks. Let the shop you take it to check that too.

robert
03-17-2004, 10:58 AM
fair amount of oil on the underside (passenger) only..cant locate any filler point for transmission fluid..what would cause a delay in gear selection low fluid or more serious?

Dick Schneiders
03-17-2004, 11:12 AM
I have 2, 1991 525i's (one made in Nov. of 1990 and the other in April of 1991) and they both have a dipstick for the auto tranny.

Sounds like you have a blown head gasket. Have it towed to a shop familiar with BMW's. Driving it might make things worse like warping the head, (more $$$).

Not completely sure but, I don't think cars from '91 on have did sticks. Let the shop you take it to check that too.